What's new

Dress Watch

Looked through a few threads but can't seem to narrow the field. I am looking for a new dress watch with the following parameters:

- Looks professional
- Made in the USA if possible
- Less then $250
- Metal Bracelet or Leather Band

Any thoughts? I am not sure a watch like this even exists, but I am hopeful nonetheless.

Made in the US is pretty much impossible. There just aren't many, and possibly none at your price point.

Style wise, lots look professional. I wear an Orient mako diver with my suit, but that may be a faux pas. In general, plainer is better for dress (day and date max).

I'm a big fan of Orient
http://orientwatchusa.com/mens/executive-watches and their executive series mostly would work for dress. I particularly like the Esteem and Grandeur on the dress page. You can get a half off coupon for Orient from Dappered.com which puts almost all of those in your price range.
Seiko, Citizen, and Pulsar are all worth a look too. I don't have any specific models, but again, plainer is better for dressing up.

Made in the US is pretty much impossible. There just aren't many, and possibly none at your price point.

Style wise, lots look professional. I wear an Orient mako diver with my suit, but that may be a faux pas. In general, plainer is better for dress (day and date max).

I'm a big fan of Orient
http://orientwatchusa.com/mens/executive-watches and their executive series mostly would work for dress. I particularly like the Esteem and Grandeur on the dress page. You can get a half off coupon for Orient from Dappered.com which puts almost all of those in your price range.
Seiko, Citizen, and Pulsar are all worth a look too. I don't have any specific models, but again, plainer is better for dressing up.

+1 Orient is a lot of watch for the money. Here is a picture of my Multi Eye.

proxy.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree you won't find a made in USA watch for that cheap, unless you PM a mod and see if they have our beloved B&B LE watches left.
It's at least assembled in USA.

Here's another vote for Orient watches - I'm wearing the Orient Mako black dial right now and have always liked it's classic look. Check it out if you decide to shop non-USA made.

I sort of suspected that an American-made watch was going to be hard to get. I have looked all over the internet and unfortunately the only real American-made watches cost more then I make in 3 months. I'll check into Orients, Citizens, and Invicta.

I sort of suspected that an American-made watch was going to be hard to get. I have looked all over the internet and unfortunately the only real American-made watches cost more then I make in 3 months. I'll check into Orients, Citizens, and Invicta.

Don't forget Seiko too. And if you are open to quartz movements, I really like the understated look of skagen.

Don't forget Seiko too. And if you are open to quartz movements, I really like the understated look of skagen.

Skagen look nice but there's almost nothing to them. Very basic Miyota mvt, some even have a ladies' mvt in a gent's model with a huge plastic spacer and some models are now being assembled in China. Also the crystals are so thin they have been known to crack during battery changes. Seiko are of course good, but I'd stick with a quartz at this price. Orients are simply great mechanical watches (no need for the "for the money" disclaimer), but their best movement seems to be the one used in the Mako. The model number has the mvt annotated into it, so you're looking for modles which start (C)EM..... I think. Guys, help me out!

Last edited:
I looked into Bernhardt for a while yesterday and it seems that for the money you really can't do any better. Although not totally made in the USA, seems like a good bit of the assembly and craftsmanship is done here. Plus, in my book supporting a small business where the CEO answers his own e-mails and phone calls is always a good thing. I think I am going to go for the Sea Shark for now...unless another one comes out like the Corsair or the Globemaster. Thanks for all the advice fellas.

The other great thing for me is that Bernhardt is based in High Point, NC. It is about 2 hours from where I go to school and is the city my fiance grew up in.

I am with you man, home grown small business is where it's at. I wonder if they make ladies watches too...I bet my wife would enjoy these as well.

Top Bottom