What's new

Dress shirts- are button down collars not "formal enough?

I tend to wear them with a linen jacket and knit tie or knit tie and some odd jacket (tweed or just regular wool) but never with a suit. Generally, I prefer my button down collared shirts to be worn with sans tie, topmost button undone, and with an odd jacket and trousers for a casual day when I don't feel like wearing one of my smart shirts, three-piece tweed suits, and the like.

Bingo. There's no hard and fast rule that says you can't wear a tie with an OCBD. It's good for a casual or knit tie and an odd/off jacket. Casual shirt = casual overall dress. Otherwise skip the tie, as it is a bit fashion-forward.

Wear what you like, but generally I live by a couple of simple rules. Button collars and loafers or laces with sport coats - tie optional. Collars with stays and laces only with suits - ties required and cuff links optional.

when i am not selling cars and/or going to high school dances, i tend to be the leading men's style icon in all of recorded history. i think it'll be ok.
$tumblr_lvdqsws9MD1qa2j8co1_400.jpg

Last edited:
I practiced law for decades in suits and button down shirts. I'm so ashamed.

Ok, I'm not, but this has been an eye opener. Good thing I got out of that racket . . . .

For the most part I'll wear a button down shirt and tie if I'm wearing a blazer. Without the tie then it would be with a sport coat. However, if I was to wear a button down shirt with a suit then it would be a solid color. Something like a navy or black suit.

I've always understood that button downs were were more casual. I can't imagine wearing one with a suit or blazer, although this is common in sales and blue-collar management.

At the office where business casual is the norm, I wear them all the time, but without buttoning down the collars. No particular reason for this except that by the time you've undone the collar AND the first button as I always do, having those points clamped down just looks silly. A little bit of ironing keeps them pointing fairly straight even without stays.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
when i am not selling cars and/or going to high school dances, i tend to be the leading men's style icon in all of recorded history. i think it'll be ok.
View attachment 457024

If Cary Grant pinches a girl's bum, he gets a phone number. If you pinch her bum, you get a slap in the face or a knee in the groin. Because he's Cary Grant, and you're not.

Neither am I ... so the bum-pinching is off the list for me too.

Point is, were Mr. Grant artfully bends and plays with "the rules" to great sartorial effect, you and I just come across as ill-informed buffoons if we try to do the same thing.

If Cary Grant pinches a girl's bum, he gets a phone number. If you pinch her bum, you get a slap in the face or a knee in the groin. Because he's Cary Grant, and you're not.

Neither am I ... so the bum-pinching is off the list for me too.

Point is, were Mr. Grant artfully bends and plays with "the rules" to great sartorial effect, you and I just come across as ill-informed buffoons if we try to do the same thing.

From the "Man": Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.

Personally I would never wear a button down collar with a suit, it just does not look right. Proper dress shirts do have collar stays and that is what helps keep them looking neat. Button down shirts do look perfectly fine with a sport coat or blazer and I do wear mine with a tie almost always.

FYI, I do wear a shirt and tie 5 days a week and whenever I have appointments on the weekend.

Same here.

with the exception of this groundbreaking thread, no one has ever in the history of everything been considered ill-informed or a buffoon for wearing a button down collar with a tie. not cary grant, not JFK, not william f buckley and not i. if this is your personal experience, i stand corrected; but i would thank you to not lump me in with your proverbial "we" ;)

At the office where business casual is the norm, I wear them all the time, but without buttoning down the collars. No particular reason for this except that by the time you've undone the collar AND the first button as I always do, having those points clamped down just looks silly. A little bit of ironing keeps them pointing fairly straight even without stays.

Some people might say that not buttoning the collars on a button down looks silly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
with the exception of this groundbreaking thread, no one has ever in the history of everything been considered ill-informed or a buffoon for wearing a button down collar with a tie. not cary grant, not JFK, not william f buckley and not i. if this is your personal experience, i stand corrected; but i would thank you to not lump me in with your proverbial "we" ;)

It appears I may have hurt your feelings with my choice of language, and that was not my intent.

But my point still stands ... just because Cary Grant is able to get away with something, that doesn't mean that the rest of us can do the same.

Oh, and as for JFK and WFB, I think you will find they both fall into this group mentioned earlier ...

... in the north-east USA, there is a "fashion sub-culture" for whom these shirts are perfectly fine worn with suits. (Kind of like cowboy boots with suits in Texas ... looks good in the local place, silly elsewhere.)

But my point still stands ... just because Cary Grant is able to get away with something, that doesn't mean that the rest of us can do the same.

point taken. buttoned collars are for high schoolers and car salesman exclusively. (because that was the point)

I would wear a button down collar to work. My Dad wore then all the time at work, he was an engineer. Maybe dressy casual, but I would never wear them in a formal situation. But I have several french cuff shirts and several pairs of cuff links which I prefer as formal wear. I also have a tux in case that is required.

Last edited:
Top Bottom