What's new

Dress Shirt Question

I have a few long sleeve button down shirts with a button down collar. I dont always button the top button when I dont wear a tie.

Collar buttoned or unbuttoned?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Always button a button down collar. It just looks sloppy, otherwise, like you forgot. Unbuttoned collars are along the lines of an unzipped fly.

I leave the top button if I am not wearing a tie. However, as stated above, if the collar has buttons, always button them.

Sent via mobile - Chris

If you leave the top button undone, it looks like your shirt doesn't fit correctly. I would assume that if you are wearing a tie, you are trying to make a certain impression so it's best to button your top collar button.

I always button them.

But take what I say with a grain of salt. My running buddy back in the day was nicknamed 'Versace' as a testimony to his lack of fashion sense.

strop

Now half as wise
Collar points always buttoned. If wearing a tie, top button buttoned. If you can't button it, get a shirt that fits. If no tie, unbutton the top button.

Collar points always buttoned. If wearing a tie, top button buttoned. If you can't button it, get a shirt that fits. If no tie, unbutton the top button.

+2

Collar points are always fastened (tie or no tie) and if you are wearing a neck / bowtie, you fasten the top button of the shirt.

Dont get me wrong here. I always button the top button with a tie.

Work is business casual and the means khaki pants and a polo most days for me. I do wear a dress shirt on occasion without a tie. It just looks weird to button the top button without a tie.

Seems the consensus is that if your shirt has a collar button always button them in all cases

Got it

I always button down my collar points, but unbutton them before laundering. I only button my top button if I'm wearing a tie, and sometimes near the end of the day I'll unbutton the top button and loosen the tie and put it at a rakish angle. Buttoning the top button without a tie, at least on me, looks like I'm a bit unbalanced mentally.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No:

proxy.php

Yes:

proxy.php

I always try to remember to button a button down shirt, just remember a button up can't be a button down but a button down can be a button up :lol:

Dont get me wrong here. I always button the top button with a tie.

Work is business casual and the means khaki pants and a polo most days for me. I do wear a dress shirt on occasion without a tie. It just looks weird to button the top button without a tie.

Seems the consensus is that if your shirt has a collar button always button them in all cases

Got it

I wear dress shirts every week day and as a rule if you are casual enough not to wear a tie, then buttoning the top button is just a bit too stiff. With that said, I also wear ties every day, so I always button the top. If the tie comes off, the button is undone.

Casual is also about blending in with your team, coworkers, and the people around you. Being too stiff makes you appear too stand-offish and projects that you are not part of the team. As part of our company's management staff, I am more impressed when people lead a team by skill, accomplishments, and admiration then by separating themselves from the pack in an awkward way.

I believe the same applies outside the office in a social environment.

In the end, it is only a button and it is not something to get to excited about either way. That's my recommendation.
Steve

I dont always button the top button when I dont wear a tie.

Collar buttoned or unbuttoned?
There's a double-negative in there.
You don't need to button a collar if you don't wear a tie.
You can wear a tie with a button-down collar, but it's a more casual style and shouldn't be worn with a suit. Wear a blazer or sport jacket instead.
My 2 cents.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In the end, it is only a button and it is not something to get to excited about either way. That's my recommendation.
Steve

I was right there with you Steve, I really was.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now I feel that undoing a button or two would be the correct approach.

Top Bottom