What's new

Dress shirt collar size woes

may I suggest putting down the heavy things, and stop picking them up and putting them down. after than may I suggest picking up the rope and swinging it around you repeatedly while stepping over it. or just run down a road a good ways, and then back. :thumbup:

haha! I do those too!! I also bounce a ball repeatedly with friends and throw it down forcefully through a raised metal circle...this is madness! haha :lol:

Bringing up the subject again because I have the same problem. A Land's End or J. A. Bank 16-33 traditional fit great. Good in sleeve length, good in girth and good across shoulders. But too tight in neck. Tried 16 1/2 collar; get a gap around the back of the neck and the collar sags low in front. Bought some of those elasticized button extenders, but they are a pain to button. Got a Land's End "comfort collar" shirt (neck button is on an tab that pulls out for extra length. Works great! Unfortunately limited cloth choices and only comes in button-down. I don't wear the shirts button with a tie often, but when I do I would like them to look nice. Unless I get some better suggestions, beginning to think my realistic options are custom shirts or living with a button-down shirt with a suit. (Oh, as far as I can tell, your neck does not shrink with age and starvation is the only weight loss suggestion for your neck.)

Another options I just thought about was having a tailor/seamstress move the collar button out, which might add two to three eighths inch. Has anyone tried that?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Another options I just thought about was having a tailor/seamstress move the collar button out, which might add two to three eighths inch. Has anyone tried that?

I’ve tried this in the past and it throws the symmetry of the collar off just a bit. Once I started doing custom about 15 or so years ago, I never looked back.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Caution on custom shirts ... find out if they make their own collars to exact ball sizes or if they just sew on pre-made ones in standard sizes.

Caution on custom shirts ... find out if they make their own collars to exact ball sizes or if they just sew on pre-made ones in standard sizes.
Wow! Good point! Only reason I would do this would be to get a correct collar size! Not to sound too ignorant, but what is a "ball size" relative to neck measurement?

Bringing up the subject again because I have the same problem. A Land's End or J. A. Bank 16-33 traditional fit great. Good in sleeve length, good in girth and good across shoulders. But too tight in neck. Tried 16 1/2 collar; get a gap around the back of the neck and the collar sags low in front. Bought some of those elasticized button extenders, but they are a pain to button. Got a Land's End "comfort collar" shirt (neck button is on an tab that pulls out for extra length. Works great! Unfortunately limited cloth choices and only comes in button-down. I don't wear the shirts button with a tie often, but when I do I would like them to look nice. Unless I get some better suggestions, beginning to think my realistic options are custom shirts or living with a button-down shirt with a suit. (Oh, as far as I can tell, your neck does not shrink with age and starvation is the only weight loss suggestion for your neck.)

Have long used a neck button extenders. Mine came from a jewelry shop in the 1970s, and is a metal button with a loop of tightly wound metal spring. It easily slips over the shirt button, and is easy to button.

linty1

My wallet cries.
You could try ne of those collar expanders on ebay? Its a little elastic with a button, so you loop the elastic around the shirt button, and button the elastic... I'm confused just explaining, just google up "collar expander" and have a look, cheap too, then just cover it with your tie knot

You could try ne of those collar expanders on ebay? Its a little elastic with a button, so you loop the elastic around the shirt button, and button the elastic... I'm confused just explaining, just google up "collar expander" and have a look, cheap too, then just cover it with your tie knot
Thanks, yes, I have bought a set. Have only tried it once so far. Don't normally have an occasion to wear a tie, but will check it out a few more times before deciding.

View attachment 461042View attachment 461043
Ok, sorry for the delay in responding, gents. I was in a rush to find a suit-suitable dress shirt, so I ran out and bought a few 16.5 collars. Here's the one I wore yesterday. You can see that it has a bit more than the two fingers' worth of room, but I have to say that this shirt, at least, doesn't look terrible when I'm not exaggerating the looseness. Should I just stop bellyaching about this and be happy with the wider collar?

Oh, and I take your points, friends, about getting tailor-made shirts in the long. I'll get to that someday, but for the moment, he who is looking for a job does not custom-made shirts buy.

+2! Looks OK to me. First, get some paychecks, then worry about custom clothing!!

Don't rule out custom made. I have dress shirts custom made at Tailorstore.com because I'm hard to fit. More reasonable than you might think.

Top Bottom