What's new

Dremmel Mishap -> First "Shorty"

Hey all,

Had a bit of a mishap with the Dremel last night. Well...I decided good time for my first "Shorty". I was pretty pissed off at the time of the incident so I didn't get any pictures, but heres the finished product. I decided to make a nice round point out of her. Its about 1/3 shorter than original. I didn't spend much time buffing the blade because I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

The scales are purple heart with african black ebony as the wedge, brass pins and washers. Its the most comfortable in the hand of all my razors.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I'm a straight noob and can't see what's wrong or what happened--but it looks darn good to me!

I was buffing with the Dremmel, it caught on the toe end and broke off a chip about 3/8" in size. So instead of trashing it, I lobbed off the broken bit, rounded the end and made small scales.

The same dremmel that nearly ended its life, was used to help bring it back!

The razor is about a half inch shorter from its original length :)

This image should give some context. Its beside a 6/8" LeGrelot:

proxy.php

Last edited:
It happend to me too when I was not concentrated about the blade and the rotation of the dremel tool. I made a magnetic jig (similar to http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=149499&highlight=magnetic) to hold the blade while sanding/polishing. The blade stays in contact with the jig and does not easily get caught by a dremel wheel.

You did a very good job rounding the tip. It is almost invisible. If you polish the tip up a bit, it will be nice and shiny as the rest of the blade. I like the scales too. Purple heart is a cool wood for scales.

Legion

Staff member
Very good. Another disaster averted. We should start the "I'm not clumsy, I wanted it to be a shorty the whole time" social group. :lol:

Top Bottom