What's new

Dremel Router?

Does anyone have any experience of Dremel's Plunge Router attachment?

My good lady wife has started asking what I'd like for Christmas and I'm currently well stocked for the Shavepocalypse! :thumbup1:

I've been thinking about upgrading my (very) basic multitool to a proper Dremel (so I can get the proper accessories...more toys to play with!) and there are a few projects I can do for SWMBO's dollshouse stuff with a router to earn brownie points. Plus I could make myself a custom shaving stand and a pipe rack! :smiley20:

Would the 300 series Dremel be reasonably sturdy? I'll probably just be cutting MDF and pine to start with.

Living in a small flat (with no workshop/garage) a full size router, whilst desirable, is probably not a good idea.

I see you are in Scotland, and I don't know about brand availability there. RotoZip is available here, and is a high-powered alternative to the Dremel. It comes with a router-like guide and a right-angle attachment. You may wish to check them out, if you do not already have a Dremel tool.

Another option that may be a possibility is Proxxon. They are European but sell some stuff in the USA. So availability would be good on your side of the Atlantic. I think if you look over their site they have a router attachment. From what I gather they have a very good reputation.

Regards, Todd

Thanks for the tips. I've currently got a cheap (underpowered) copy of a Dremel so was going to take the opportunity to upgrade. I've seen some RotoZip stuff around so I'll check their range.

I like my Dremel, but have been loving my friends Foredom tool lately. High torque, overhead mounting with footswitch, usable and precise low RPM settings, and quality attachments. It's fantastic for a bench setup. Not cheap, but worth it IMO.

http://www.foredom.net/

Another option that may be a possibility is Proxxon. They are European but sell some stuff in the USA. So availability would be good on your side of the Atlantic. I think if you look over their site they have a router attachment. From what I gather they have a very good reputation.

Regards, Todd

Some interesting "toys" on the Proxxon site! I didn't even know I wanted a lathe...until now :w00t:

You bet, Peter. They seem to make grand stuff. I have not been able to find any of it locally here in cattle country(central U.S.) but there is North American distribution. Sadly, one of the tools I want is not available in U.S. mains power version. It is the "Long neck angle milling/drilling unit WB 220/E". Whew. What a moniker. Essentially it is the angle/vertical edition of the "professional IB/E" grinder. Only available in nominal 230v mains power, I can make it work here but it is technically not kosher to do so. I know how handle it so it may happen anyway.

I spoke with the importer of Proxxon for the U.S. and he actually had one of the 220/E models he would sell me without warranty. That is fine by me, I know you don't buy grey market items and expect warranty. Fact is, Proxxon is well enough made from what I gather that it is likely no issue. He also told me I could get the angle nose assembly as a part and use it with on the IB/E but I would rather just buy the whole tool since the cost is nearly the same.

I really want to replace my Dremel's with the IB/E and one of those angle units. The Proxxon's have a solid metal gear housing as well. They are just tougher built. They carry a higher price tag as well but who cares? If you are getting a solid tool you might as well pay a bit more.

I have attached a couple of photos from Proxxon's web site for those who have never seen them. Grand stuff.

Regards, Todd

IB/E
proxy.php

WB 220/E
proxy.php

Top Bottom