What's new

Dremel bit advice-deepen handle hole

I need to deepen the hole in a brush handle to end up with a shorter loft for the knot I want to attach. Which Dremel bit or accessory should I use for this purpose? Thanks.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The Aluminum Oxide drum will work fine, go slow, light pressure.

$30700300.jpg

Unless it is a lucite brush, then I would recommend sanding disc.

I use those to deepen knots all the time, they work great. They have the finish/texture on the bottom unlike drum sanding bits, so work awesome for deepening a hole.

For widening, I use drum sanding bits (widest that will fit).

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Yes, they will.

Another option to to use a 1/2 drill bit and drill a hole to the desired depth. Then use the skinnier bit above, or the small sanding drum and widen out.

Forstner bit is kind of a gut level decision though. In bakelite, wood or something soft I have used them with no problem. In thin brittle plastic I have had them catch and shatter. Whatever you do don't use a dull forstner bit in a cherished project.

Can you use a forstner bit without a drill press, though? I tend to go freehand when cleaning out knots. It would be nice to get it perfect, I have to admit. I end up making holes that are "mostly" round when I'm widening them. :)

I use a forstner free hand to do the demolition of the olf knot. I have not used it for widening or depening.

The width of the handle holes is between 3/4 to 1". What size Dremel drum/ grinder or high speed cutter would be best to deepen the hole?

Yes it would work. 22mm is just a 1/4mm under 7/8" but it would work just fine. Easier to find as he could probably pick up a 7/8" forstner right at home depot or lowes etc...

Wouldn't I need a drill press to use the forstner bit successfully? Since I don't have one, I was hoping to be able to deepen and, if necessary, widen, with a Dremel and some standard accessories and bits for it.

Wouldn't I need a drill press to use the forstner bit successfully? Since I don't have one, I was hoping to be able to deepen and, if necessary, widen, with a Dremel and some standard accessories and bits for it.

I would certainly recommend a drill press when working with a forstner bit. The slightest off-center movement could ruin your project and day.

What material is the handle? If you got the 22mm forstner it should fit in the current knot hole perfectly and align the bit perfectly straight for you. Yyou would just have to gently and slowly lower it. I personally, if I had a forstner bit that fit the existing not hole perfectly, would do it freehand. (although I admit now a days I do use a drill press). However I have been woodworking for 25 years so im pretty comfortable doing things like that. I cant deal with the oblomg knot holes etc. Dont you have a friend with a drill press? Im pretty ocd so id have to find a way to use the forstner and do it what in my mind is really the correct way. Dremels are great and I use mine often but only when the proper bench or full size tool isnt an option. Honesty if i was forced to use a dremel im so ocd id rig up a jig and use a hole saw or forstner bit to make a guide hole in one board...place a board under the brush and drill 2 holes on either side of brush and use long wood screws to fasten them together to hold the brush handle in place so my hole was perfect. The guide hole would be smaller than the brush knot hole and id calculate the distance between the dremel shaft and outside edge of grinding wheel. I'd also mark the dremel tool shaft with a permanent marker or piece of masking tape at the depth i wanted the hole and when that mark was flush with top of board viola im there.
See told you I'm ocd! lol

Appreciate the advice, but I am not sufficiently skilled, experienced or ocd'd for that approach. I guess I'll do the best I can with my Dremel and learn from the experience.

Ramsay, I am the opposite of OCD on brushes. Hack the knot out, clean it up, cram a new knot in and be done with it! As you gain experience, you can improve the process, but don't worry about it too much. You'll most likely end up with a great brush, even if it has a nick here or there.

Top Bottom