What's new

Dremalizing the Gold Dollar

I've ordered a GD to work on my honing skills and noticed on many of the YouTube videos that people are using a Dremel to grind the toe and heel down. What I'm curious about is why do you need to grind down the heel (shoulder?) and toe?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This depends on which Gold Dollar model you are referring to. I found that neither to 208 or W59 models needed any work on their heels/shoulders or toes.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Some don't like honing the 66 with the heel/shoulder as supplied. I believe that this was with blades produced a few years ago.

I had no problems honing a 66 that I purchased last year without doing any extra work on the heel/shoulder or toe. If you can hone a GD 66 up to shave ready without modification, you learn a lot more about honing for all SR's.

Some don't like honing the 66 with the heel/shoulder as supplied. I believe that this was with blades produced a few years ago.

I had no problems honing a 66 that I purchased last year without doing any extra work on the heel/shoulder or toe. If you can hone a GD 66 up to shave ready without modification, you learn a lot more about honing for all SR's.

Thanks, that's my goal. I also just found out tonight that the store I purchased my Dovo Bizmark from also does honing classes as well as a $20 honing service. Unfortunately, we are under lockdown for another little while so I won't be able to take the class for a month or so, but I'll definitely take it when it becomes available again.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The 66 you need to mod it as the shoulder catches on the hones that's why you have to use a Dremel without you will never hone it to a true apex and the spine is wonky and way too thick
Not all but maybe some. It really depends on the GD 66 that you receive. Best for the OP to just wait and see what is received.

The 66 you need to mod it as the shoulder catches on the hones that's why you have to use a Dremel without you will never hone it to a true apex and the spine is wonky and way too thick
Not all but maybe some. It really depends on the GD 66 that you receive. Best for the OP to just wait and see what is received.

I'm expecting it will be a month since it just shipped yesterday from Hong Kong. Once it arrives I'll take a look and see if it needs to be ground down, but now I get the reason. Thanks!

Top Bottom