What's new

Dr. Jon's Aftershave Tonic

$_MG_9624-4.jpg

We now have aftershave to match our best selling fragrances. You can grab Classic, Anne Bonny, Hydra and Savannah Sunrise now and Propaganda will be at Shave Revolution next week.

Nice! These go onto the to-try list.
Unfortunately, for some reason your website is blocked while I am at work (I can't imagine why).
I look forward to reading more when I get home.

"Tonic" suggests no alcohol. Is that the case?

They have alcohol. I got in contact with Dr. Jon's about a week ago when these were first announced. I use a lot of Dr. Jon's products and want to try several of these. I was very interested in that also.

Nice! These go onto the to-try list.
Unfortunately, for some reason your website is blocked while I am at work (I can't imagine why).
I look forward to reading more when I get home.

"Tonic" suggests no alcohol. Is that the case?

They do contain alcohol, I went with tonic because it is much more than your standard alcohol and fragrance blend. We wanted to make a splash that had positive properties for the skin rather than just make your face smell nice.

This is exciting! The soap fragrance is great and it would be nice to pair that with a nice aftershave. I think my wife would really like the Hydra AS on me!

This is exciting! The soap fragrance is great and it would be nice to pair that with a nice aftershave. I think my wife would really like the Hydra AS on me!

Wife approval is a must! One of the first aftershaves I ever bought got sent packing due to Kim's disapproval.

I get why there would be restrictions on military postal packages but you think you could get some verification that this is a legit package. Does not seem right that our hard working solders cannot get the better products for good shaves.

Got mine yesterday. Gave it a try last night. I want to use it a couple more times before I do my review. First impressions are all good. The menthol really hits the spot on a hot summers night!

Got mine yesterday. Gave it a try last night. I want to use it a couple more times before I do my review. First impressions are all good. The menthol really hits the spot on a hot summers night!

Hydra isn't as moisturizing as the others which is somewhat disappointing to me, the citrus essential oils play havoc with the other ingredients. It isn't drying, just not as moisturizing as I prefer.

I did not really notice that it was not as moisturizing. I had great face feel and as I said the cool menthol was very nice for some time after the shave. Really made for a pleasant experience. I also noticed it was not supper bitty when splashed on even after a rougher shave.

OK I have now used the aftershave several times and am ready to give it a review.

Hydra Aftershave Tonic
Score: 10/10

This stuff it great! It is now going to be a permanent member of my shave den. This aftershave does all that I ask for in an aftershave. It smells good, has plenty of bite to wake you up, and leaves my face feeling refreshed and smooth. It even has a few surprises up its sleeve with the menthol cool down. I will cover each aspect below.

Smell:
This is one of the best smelling aftershaves I use. It is right up there with Captains Choice. Now the good Captain does have a lime scent but it is significantly different then Hydra. The citrus blast of Hydra is in a league of its own. If you like Dr. Jon's Hydra shave soap you will like this smell as well. My wife really likes the smell of Hydra and has always complained that I would cover it will a different smelling aftershave. Well now she does not have that complaint. The smell also lasts a decent time on me. With everyone's body chemistry being different this can change but for me it lasts long enough that I get to enjoy it for some time but it is not a clinger.

Face feel:
Slashing this on an you get the familiar "bite" of alcohol based aftershaves that you either love or hate. I like the bite so am pleased with the feeling I get splashing this on. After the bite simmers down the menthol really kicks in. My face starts to cool off right away and stays that way for some time. Really nice during this hot summer that is for sure! Winter might be a different story but I doubt it as I like the cool feeling on my face. Like I dipped my face in an orange snow cone!

Skin Care:
There are not many ingredients in these tonics and it is for the better. The witch hazel and rose water really keep your face feeling nice with the aloe further aiding in any irritation brought on by an aggressive shave. My face feels smooth and clean after I splash this on and stays that way for some time. Could not ask for anything more.

Over all I would say if you like Dr. Jon's soaps you need to get his aftershaves. The pairing of the aftershaves with the soaps is really nice but I would say you could not go wrong using this every shave. While I will continue to mix it up as I like to add variety to my shaves this will be one of my go to aftershaves from now one. Just hope Dr. Jon can keep it in stock!

I enjoy the classic aftershave and artic hydra soap that I picked up local here in Columbus at Rivers Edge. Like the smell an feel of artic hydra it's refreshing an barber shop smell of the classic

Top Bottom