What's new

Dr. Harris vs MWF

I don't have the Arlington but do have lavender so I can't comment on scent. But to me the lavender smells great! It's in my rotation as well as mwf and I will say if I had to pick of the 2 mwf for the win. Both are great soaps but the post shave is so good with mwf. And I really enjoy the scent. So if I was out of both and could only purchase one the fat it would b.

I use both in my shaving mugs (separately, of course). I might buy other pucks and croaps, But MWF and DRH will always be in my mug(s) or shave drawer. You can't go wrong with either one.

For whatever it’s worth, from D.R. Harris' website:

D.R. = Daniel Rotely, a chemist/pharmacist

Harris = Henry Harris, an actual medical doctor.

My vote is with D.R. Harris. I’m sure MWF is fine for many but I had problems with the lanolin.

Last edited:
The OP inquired almost four years ago, so expect he has tried both soaps by now.

I like em both. MWF is one I use in winter; the weather can be hard on my skin and the fat offers some protection in the colder months.

DR Harris is full of chemicals, so I would vote MWF. Brilliant soap

Is you background/expertise in chemistry, or skin care ?
I'd be interested to learn more about this claim.

Information below is what I was able to find online, not sure how accurate it is. Could you please share which ones are "damaging" or, more so than others ??

D.R. Harris:
Ingredients: Potassium palmate, Sodium tallowate, Sodium palmate, Sodium palm kernelate, Aqua, Potassium palm kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Petrolatum, Palm Kernel acid, Orthotolyl biguanide, Linalool, Limonene, Farnesol, Citral Tetrasodium etidronate, Pentasodium pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Cl 77891.

MWF:
Ingredients: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

Water is full of chemicals too. Word on the street is that it has also caused death.

Of course. :D

I'd just like to see claims like these explained a bit better.
To untrained eye like mine, they both seem pretty full of stuff I can't quite pronounce... lol, so naturally I'm interested in hearing more (but not deadly worried), since I use D.R. Harris quite often.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Indeed.

Outside of what we grow in our tiny yard-garden, I can't pronounce 1/2 the things in the food I eat... and I'm too scared to do the research.

Is you background/expertise in chemistry, or skin care ?
I'd be interested to learn more about this claim.

Information below is what I was able to find online, not sure how accurate it is. Could you please share which ones are "damaging" or, more so than others ??

D.R. Harris:
Ingredients: Potassium palmate, Sodium tallowate, Sodium palmate, Sodium palm kernelate, Aqua, Potassium palm kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Petrolatum, Palm Kernel acid, Orthotolyl biguanide, Linalool, Limonene, Farnesol, Citral Tetrasodium etidronate, Pentasodium pentetate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Cl 77891.

MWF:
Ingredients: Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Parfum, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Magnesium Sulphate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

DRHarris has reformulated their soaps and they are now tallow first. They have also dropped the petrolatum. It's a much better soap, ingredient wise and the performance is still right up at the classic DRHarris level!

If you research the ingredients in either soap, you'll find they are benign and not damaging to health.

DRHarris has reformulated their soaps and they are now tallow first. They have also dropped the petrolatum. It's a much better soap, ingredient wise and the performance is still right up at the classic DRHarris level!

If you research the ingredients in either soap, you'll find they are benign and not damaging to health.

I only started using it last year, so I'm assuming I have re-formulated version - incredible soap in my opinion.

As for ingredients, as I mentioned, I am not super concerned, but just would like to see statements like "full of chemicals" backed up a bit with some science or education/professional experience. It's a pretty bold claim to just randomly leave it as "one liner".

Top Bottom