What's new

DR Harris Rose Cream

There have been a few threads lately about rose creams. People asking for recommendations, how does this one smell, stuff like that. At some point last year, I bought a tube of DR Harris Rose Cream, which I had never tried ... until this morning.

When I try a new cream, I usually buy it in a tube. Not sure exactly why, but maybe because there's less of it, in case I'm not crazy about it. A lot of the tubes are cheaply made. Some great creams (Trumper & TOBS) some in tubes with caps that are so flimsy, they almost always break. DR Harris has a very sturdy tube, with a flip-top (not a screw on) that seems like it won't be breaking any time soon. Now, about the cream.

I've noticed DR Harris creams don't get that much play around here. Some people love them, but a lot seem to dismiss them, saying, "The soaps are much better," and so on. I don't know, but I have a puck of Arlington that I need to open soon! I'll start right now by saying I liked this cream a lot. I shave with both soaps and creams, about 60/40 in favor of soaps. Usually, just when I start to think I'll switch exclusively to soaps, I shave with a cream and great an amazing shave ... like today.

Though I'm primarily a face latherer, I do like to bowl lather a cream that I'm trying for the first time. When I squirted the glob/dollop/snurdle/ into the bowl, I was pretty surprised to see how dark a pink it is. A very nice, natural smelling (to me, at least) rose scent filled the air. Back to the color: it looked dark. A lot of the other rose creams I've tried are white. Some are light pink. All lather white (to me). I started to think, "I wonder if it will stain my brush." This seems to be a concern for a lot of people. Personally, I don't really care if my brush is stained by a cream, because a) it won't affect the performance and b) the only one who sees my brushes is me. Then again, I remembered trying a sample of Trumper Violet, which was a much darker color than this cream (a beautiful shade of purple, by the way) and it didn't stain my brush at all. I lathered the Harris and noticed right away that the lather was a much lighter shade of pink. It lathered up very, very easily. Then again, I use distilled water (I live in a hard water area), so lathering is never a problem. When I applied the lather to my face, it lightened in color again, and was practically white.

The lather was very slick and had good cushion. Right up there with all of the creams I've tried that I consider to be on the higher end (T&H, Pennhalion's, TOBS, AoS, CF, etc.). I loaded my Gillette New Short Comb with a new Astra SP and off I went to a smooth, comfortable, two-pass plus touchup, BBS. Effortless shave.

Love the DR Harris Rose.

And, by the way, the color washed out of my brush completely. No stain.

:001_cool:

Thanks for sharing. I had never thought much about getting anything with a rose scent until I got the RazorRock San Valentino. I quite like it and suspect I would like the DR Harris one too.

Good report! fully agree. Harris Rose cream is a classic!

proxy.php

I too tried the DR Harris Rose cream for the first time yesterday and was amazed at the amount of, and slickness, of the lather! One of my best shaves yet!

DR Harris Rose rather just explodes as soon as the brush touches the cream.. Easiest cream I have ever lathered. Great stuff.

Top Bottom