Sudsy Soapery
B&M Reserve
Pannacrema
Wholly Kaw
SV

I could go on....

thanks!
many of these are still unknown to me.
maybe expect for B&M and Pannacrema, which are nice but, IMO, not overwhelming above others.
obviously, i have much catching up to do!

Nice review, as you said "YMMV".

For me the English soaps take a bit to dial in the correct amount of water and temperature, but for me they work.
I have a few artisans, but my main soaps are still from the traditional sources ... they work for me. Tabac, GFT, Truefit & Hill, Dr. Harris, Proraso etc.

@DEdestroyer77 Your discerning eye and deep well of experience using so many soaps benefit all of us. My head is thankful for all the useful snippets you've written about how great many of the new artisan brands are, but my wallet might be even more thankful once interest in the old standbys is driven down and some online retailers hopefully start putting some of them on clearance.:biggrin1:

Last edited:
I have three DR Harris scent; Marlborough, Windsor and Arlington. Of the soaps I've tried Tabac & Haslingers might be created a little more lather. Not sure about that, but it is an impression. Once you get a soap like this dialed in with the correct amount of water and get the lather nice and yogurty, its hard to think their might be 'better' soaps. Maybe. I have a few pucks of Stirling but when I consider the scents DRH seems a little more refined. In my opinion I could be limited to DR Harris soaps and would not consider myself to be missing anything in a shave but a different scent experience. In other words, performance wise they are as good as it gets in my opinion. It's nice to have so many options to choose from. I just end up accumulating so many that I don't use one enough to be a good judge.

Slightly over 6 months ago.
Sodium Tallowate is now the first ingredient (vs second, previously), for example.
That's the first I hear of this recent DRH reformulation. Is there a consensus on the new formulation? Better? Worst? About the same?

This may be an ignorant observation, but having tallow moved from second ingredient to first ingredient sounds like an improvement ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I thought the most recent Pens was redesigned from the redesign and that it was good for use now?
I've ordered the new stuff directly from Pen's within the last 6 months and it's terrible which makes for an unhappy Mikey, Blenheim Boquet is without question my favorite warm weather scent and it's not even close. I often use 'lesser' soaps based on scent alone, but it's just baaaaad. ymmv

I've ordered the new stuff directly from Pen's within the last 6 months and it's terrible which makes for an unhappy Mikey, Blenheim Boquet is without question my favorite warm weather scent and it's not even close. I often use 'lesser' soaps based on scent alone, but it's just baaaaad. ymmv
Glad I didn't pick it up then.

Top Bottom