What's new

dr harris reformulated?

I bought 2 new pucks of dr harris and I have read on this forum that the tallow soaps were reformulated. No, they still contain tallow. The new formulation I believe has tallow as the FIRST ingredient versus potassium palmate being the first ingredient in the older formulation. The older formulation had tallow as the 2nd ingredient. anyways, I got a new puck of arlington and windsor. Arlington refill puck had tallow as the first ingredient and the windsor had potassium palmate as the first ingredient and tallow as the second. this is probably a dumb question, but is there any difference between the formulations for those that have used the older and new formulations of the dr harris tallow soaps? do you think dr harris and others like mwf will ever drop tallow from their shave soaps and move to vegetable based like others have done? I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fats and lipids are pretty much the same whether they come from plants or animals. Tallow is a complex mixture but hydroxide decomposes it mainly into stearate and palmitate and glycerin. Almost identical to most vegetable fats. The differences are very small and irrelevant to shaving product properties.

I bought 2 new pucks of dr harris and I have read on this forum that the tallow soaps were reformulated. No, they still contain tallow. The new formulation I believe has tallow as the FIRST ingredient versus potassium palmate being the first ingredient in the older formulation. The older formulation had tallow as the 2nd ingredient. anyways, I got a new puck of arlington and windsor. Arlington refill puck had tallow as the first ingredient and the windsor had potassium palmate as the first ingredient and tallow as the second. this is probably a dumb question, but is there any difference between the formulations for those that have used the older and new formulations of the dr harris tallow soaps? do you think dr harris and others like mwf will ever drop tallow from their shave soaps and move to vegetable based like others have done? I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's no discernable difference in performance between tallow first and palmate first...at least, I didn't find there to be any difference.

Both formulas are top notch and DRH soaps are one of the finest milled soaps on the market.

I just started using DRH soap after several years of not using it. Don’t recall the DRH I used long ago being any different but the soap I have now (just purchased) is superb.

If you skedaddle over to the DR Harris website, you’ll notice that some soap fragrances start with Tallowate while others start with Palmitate. That’s just the way it is. No reformulations, just lots of nonsense. They all lather and feel the same to me anyways. Great soaps.

Because I often travelled, or started my day by showering and shaving at the local Y, I always shredded my refill puck into a small plastic container and made my own MWF size puck.

I still love me some Arlington and Windsor. I think my pucks are all Palmate first, they lather like champs.

Top Bottom