What's new

DR Harris Marlborough Replacement - Why is it so good?

I was PIF'ed a DR Harris soap and few years ago and I'm finally getting to the bottom. It is a wonderful soap that leaves my face hydrated for the rest of the day. Obviously, I could buy another puck but want to branch out a bit. I'm thinking about the MWF or another hard puck. Any recommendations? I heard that Haslinger's Sheep Milk soap used to be great but it changed a few years back. Best if its under 40. Thanks all.

You might like one of the more expensive German soaps, like Klar Seifen or Golddachs. There is also Dr. Dittmar which is similar to Golddachs, but intended for those with more sensitive skin. Excellent lather with mild, refined scents.

If you haven't tried MWF, it would be a great choice. You can get MWF in the iconic ceramic dish from Connaught's in the UK much cheaper than on our side of the Atlantic. Note Connaught's also has the Cyril R Salter solid soap, which is the same formula as DR Harris, but 1/3 the price, with a spicy barbershop scent.

From Portugal, Claus Porto Musgo Real solid soap.

From Italy Saponificio Varesino solid soaps. All perform well, your main problem is choosing a scent. The Felce Aromatica is pretty popular, but there are around eight scents to choose from, I believe.

From France, Provence Sante Green Tea. An excellent long-lasting soap with a mild scent. Available from Smallflower.com in Chicago for only $9 for 100g, it is a good value. Excellent post-shave feel from shea butter, like a lot of French soaps.

From Austria, Haslinger is an excellent soap and not expensive if bought from Euro vendors (around $4-5 per 60g). Get two pucks and combine them in one container. The newer veggie-based formula is good. Try the Schafmilch or one of the others that appeals. The Meeresalgen (Seaweed extract) is different and good.

Also from Germany, the Speick shaving stick is reasonably priced, with a spicy lavender scent. The Speick aftershave is really great, also. If you don't like shave sticks, you can buy two sticks and grate them into a container.

Some other French soaps that you might like are Pre de Provence and Osma Tradition. The Pre de Provence #63 is popular for Fall and Winter. Osma Tradition is a long-lasting rich solid soap with a fougere type scent.

Last edited:
I always recommend PAA soaps. The CK-6 base is wonderful and they have tons of scents to choose from. I have several brands of soaps but PAA tops them all for sickness, comfort, protection, and face feel. WSP is another great performing soap.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've tried the Harris Marlborough, and I really liked it too. Other mug soaps that I enjoy and have stashed away, include:

Edwin Jagger/Muhle

I currently have the Aloe Vera in use, and have the Sandalwood, Lime and Pomegranate, and Seas Buckthorn waiting in the stockpile

The Goodfellas Smile
I have used the Italian Lemon, and have Blueberry Grapes and Briarwood waiting in the stockpile

Haslinger
I've used the sheepsmilk, and have Sage and Seaweed in the stockpile.

Mitchell's Wool Fat is a favourite of mine, but not everyone gets good results from it, or at least they expect it to be different from the lather it gives them. Here in the UK, it's a very affordable soap.

You specified a number, but not a currency, so I can only take a pretty safe guess which country/currency that might be. There's a good chance you can get a soap to try from most if not all of these brands, and still remain under the threshold for multiple soaps plus shipping.

Top Bottom