What's new

Dr. Harris - Better than I expected

Solid, no nonsense performer. Very slick, very protective.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around since 1790 so must be decent - from their website: "One of the proprietors, Henry Harris, was a surgeon, while Daniel Rotely (D. R.) was an early Pharmaceutical Chemist." I like the Windsor the best, then Arlington, then Lavender, then Marlborough scents - my den will never be without it/them...:001_wub: Let's not even get started on the Sandalwood aftershave...

Thanks to a PIF from @mr_houston I was able to try this soap just yesterday and I agree with you I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I will definitely be purchasing a full puck once I run out. Easy to lather incredibly slick smells great what's not to love.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Hi!

I guess it's only a surprise to those folks who are strictly into artisan shaving products. Well, there are brands out there, D. R. Harris is one of them, who run their businesses for such a long time that they mostly know what they are doing. Do not always enjoy the scents of the products the BIG companies into shaving come up with, but most of their stuff, let it be inexpenive or quite steep in price, is performing as good, sometimes better than artisan soaps/croaps.

I do not prefer one over the the other (artisan / mass-market producers) though.

Cheers and to all of you: Enjoy a hopefully great weekend!

Chris

O7250216_DxO.jpg
DR Harris is the baseline by which I judge all other soaps. If a soap does not perform as well as DRH it doesn't belong in my rotation. There are several soaps which I enjoy more, but I know that whenever I grab my DRH I am going to be in for a great shaving experience. If only the other British manufacturer's would have stuck to great formulations such as the old Trumper Tallow, then we would have some real treats coming from the UK. I am currently using an older formulation of DR Harris Arlington which contains lanolin. Imagine your modern DRH with a better post-shave skin feel.

D4135184.JPG

DR Harris, Tabac, MWF, etc...

Tried and true. Nothing wrong with artisans, but I will bet very few of them will be around 10 or more years from now. Let alone two hundred and change. Something to think about.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I've been trying out the 'Twenty Nine' cream, rose-geranium and the performance is quite a bit better than I expected. I think DRH flies under the radar.

Cheers, Steve

Solid, no nonsense performer. Very slick, very protective.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. One of my favorite scents and soaps. I find the soap meets all marks exceptionally well. Not over the top or lacking in any category.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I only have three soaps in my rotation: DRH, Tabac and Arko. All sticks. Have not felt the need to try or buy anything else.

I didn't care for my Harris Marlborough stick. Maybe it was my well water but I found the stick too hard to get a good lather and grated it into a bowl where it performed great. I did not have the same problem with my 5 Harris pucks. Harris Almond, my favorite, is one of my baseline soaps.

I didn't care for my Harris Marlborough stick. Maybe it was my well water but I found the stick too hard to get a good lather and grated it into a bowl where it performed great. I did not have the same problem with my 5 Harris pucks. Harris Almond, my favorite, is one of my baseline soaps.

I wonder if there is any appreciable variance in the formula/composition between the puck and the stick.

Don't know why anybody would have low expectations for D.R. Harris products. They've been top-shelf for a long, long time.

Top Bottom