What's new

Dr. Bronners and Dr. Woods liquid soaps

I've seen some reviews of both Dr. Bronner's and Dr. Woods liquid soaps, and most people said they are too thin and skin drying. Anyone uses these liquid soaps around here?

Last edited:
I use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap. The soap is pretty concentrated and has a low viscosity so it's conceivable that someone would use an excess of it in the process of bathing, which would be quite drying. A 32 oz bottle should last a very long time.

I find the best way to use it is with a Salux body towel from Japan. A tiny squirt will produce a rich lather that's good enough for cleaning the entire body. A shower sponge or exfoliating scrubber might do well too.

I use Dr. Bronners on a regular basis. I've never heard of Dr. Woods.

Dr. B is indeed very drying. I use it in the shower, and its sole purpose is to get myself clean. At this, it excels. Once I rinse off, I always follow it with another product to moisturize my skin.

I use Dr. Bronners on a regular basis. I've never heard of Dr. Woods.

Dr. B is indeed very drying. I use it in the shower, and its sole purpose is to get myself clean. At this, it excels. Once I rinse off, I always follow it with another product to moisturize my skin.

Dr. Woods also uses castile soap as base, and has a line of liquid soap with shea butter. You can check the website here

I've only used Dr. Bronner's. They have their classic line of soaps and then the newer Organic Shikakai line. I find the organic line more moisturizing.

I dilute Dr. Bronners 50/50 with water, it's so concentrated it can be sasy to use too much.

I agree with DFrancis: as the label says, "Dilute Dilute Dilute!" I figure I dilute mine to around a 30-40% solution and have never had a problem. Lately, I have also been adding a few drops of glycerin to my 16 oz shower bottle, and I can feel the extra moisturization from doing so. You might want to give that a try if you're getting dried out.

I miss using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint. I used to buy it back in my Army days. Where is the cheapest place to get the stuff from these days?

I miss using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint. I used to buy it back in my Army days. Where is the cheapest place to get the stuff from these days?

I think Trader Joe's might be that place, but even then, it isn't really all that cheap, as they seem to only stock the big 32 oz bottles. Lasts forever, even if it's kind of a big chunk of money up front.

GNC carries it. Trader Joe's. Whole Foods. Most health food stores. A lot of supermarkets. You can also order online from Dr. Bronner's website.

Most locations stock the major flavors, like Peppermint and Eucalyptus. You'll have to hunt around if you're looking for the more exotic scents like Almond, Rose, Citrus, Tea Tree Oil, or Baby Mild Unscented (really hard to find.)

Personally, I like the Lavender and Tea Tree Oil liquid soaps, and I've been meaning to pick up a tube of their shave gel to see what its all about.

Its not exactly cheap wherever you go, but considering how long a bottle lasts, you can get away with calling it economical.

Also from iherb.com. You can order it online and have a $5 discount for the first purchase. You will have to insert the IRO586 code at checkout to get the $discount.

I bought mine at Target. They had all the flavors in the 32oz bottle plus peppermint and lavender in small trial sizes for $.99!

Tim

I picked up a 16 oz. bottle from Target for $9.00. I know it's not the best price ever seen, but I wanted to get it since I was there to get a couple of other items.

I used it in the shower with a body scrub poof or whatever you'd like to call them. Just 4 or 5 drops was all I needed to clean my entire body. I didn't find it to be drying like some people claim. I think that since I was washing with it being properly diluted it preserved the moisture in my skin. I was left feeling a bit tingly but not overly-so, which I found very nice. I was amazed at how little soap I actually used compared to the normal body washes that me and my girlfriend normally pick out.

I use both the Bronners Peppermint and Tea Tree Bar soaps and find them at Whole Foods here in Central Florida. Again, not the cheapest soaps in the world, but they do get you smackin' clean. As with the liquid soap, I'd strongly recommend a moisturizer afterwards (I use the Karma Cream from Lush) as they can be quite drying.

In addition, I don't use it on my face as it can be too drying for that. For my face I use an African Black Soap.

Top Bottom