What's new

Dr Bronner soap & a sad trivia fact.

I've used Dr Bronner's for a long time. As a kid it was the main soap my mom bought for the family. And it's the reason I like just about anything that smells like almonds (Italian shave soaps anyone?). One of my favorite soaps still today.

On a whim I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this:

He emigrated to the United States in 1929. As his father was Jewish, he pleaded with his parents to emigrate with him for fear of the then-ascendant Nazi Party, but they refused. His last contact with his parents was in the form of a censored postcard saying, "You were right. —Your loving father."

Ouch.

I've used Dr Bronner's for a long time. As a kid it was the main soap my mom bought for the family. And it's the reason I like just about anything that smells like almonds (Italian shave soaps anyone?). One of my favorite soaps still today.

On a whim I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this:

He emigrated to the United States in 1929. As his father was Jewish, he pleaded with his parents to emigrate with him for fear of the then-ascendant Nazi Party, but they refused. His last contact with his parents was in the form of a censored postcard saying, "You were right. —Your loving father."

Ouch.

That's a fascinating story. Dr. Bronner is an interesting character, aside from his soaps. I've read some of the inspirational material on his bottles. Its a little deep for me, but I like the fact that he puts his message out there and doesn't waste even one square inch on his labels with useless stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the almond smell, but I love the performance. With Dr. B, I can tolerate the scent, but don't really enjoy it. I use to keep a bottle in the bathroom for shampooing and one in the kitchen for doing dishes. I ran out of it a few years ago, but I really should pick some up next time I'm at the store. A little bit goes a long, long way.

The 20th century wars have had a devastating effect on people worldwide, and on Europe as a continent. Not only were millions of people murdered, but many very talented people also (rightly) chose to continue their life outside Europe. We lost a lot of talent due to the stupidity of war.

That's a fascinating story. Dr. Bronner is an interesting character, aside from his soaps. I've read some of the inspirational material on his bottles. Its a little deep for me, but I like the fact that he puts his message out there and doesn't waste even one square inch on his labels with useless stuff.

I'm not a big fan of the almond smell, but I love the performance. With Dr. B, I can tolerate the scent, but don't really enjoy it. I use to keep a bottle in the bathroom for shampooing and one in the kitchen for doing dishes. I ran out of it a few years ago, but I really should pick some up next time I'm at the store. A little bit goes a long, long way.

I read the labels too, but I'm not sure "deep" was how I thought of it then. More of a little wacky hippyish was how I envisioned it.

Scent-wise, they have many others now. I've never used any of them, I just buy the bar soap now and that's that.

Dr. Bonners burns my skin like acid. Every 5 years or so I'll see it and buy a bottle thinking things will be different but get the same result. I do the same thing with the original Grape Nuts cereal and its like chewing gritty pebbles.

I just ordered some lotion and balm bar. Should have them by the end of the week.

I'd be interested to hear about those. I'm always looking for something for my face (it's dry, so lotions are a must) and I also use Dermatone for my lip balm, but it's getting harder to find so a backup might be good.

I use the liquid peppermint castile as my shampoo and body wash. My skin developed a tolerance for the "tingle" and I find that my skin is not nearly as dry as it typically has been in the past during winter. My hair is short and it works fine as a shampoo. Have also used it to hand wash clothes.

Top Bottom