What's new

Downward Spiral

Well all of the enablers around here can count me as another victim. Got a cheapie pipe from a local cigar store along with tools and a pack of Mr B’s Wild Antolia. (Formerly Wild Cherry).

Day 2. Grabbed a pack of CB’s Royal and some 6mm balsa filters.

Day 3. Ordered a second cheap pipe from Amazon along with some 9mm regular filters for it.

Day 4. Grabbed 50g of Cocoa Aromatic. (Thomas Hinds maybe?)

Skipped two days for the weekend.

Day 7. Picked up a tin of Dunhill London Mixture. Score. Despite being $43 (Yep Canada) the production date was 2011. Must’ve been sitting around for awhile.

Day 8. Ordered a Zippo pipe lighter off of the Bay (Another score. When it arrived, I found that the seller accidentally doubled the order. I offered to send it back but the shipping was as much as the Zippo)

Day 11. Picked up a bunch of canning jars and a tin of SG FVF.

Fast forward to today, a week and a half later. I went to the shop where I found the 7yr London Mixture to see if there were any other older tins that I could pick up. Unfortunately the only thing that wasn’t current was a 2014 tin of Escudo. (I may still pick it up but at $50 I don’t know.) Also today, I ordered 4oz of CD Autumn Evening from 4noggins. (Gonna try my luck with customs)

I think that I may have a problem.

Near future purchases may include; a Morgan Bones Bulldog, Rattray’s Bagpiper, Marlin Flake, CD Bayou Morning and Escudo. How soob may depend on how this first tobacco purchase clears customs. Would love to start cellaring some, but at Canadian prices...

It wasn’t all great. Forgot to mention that I made the mistake of picking up a pack of Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think Canada needs something like the Fifth Amendment. Some day I'll shoot a picture of the cabinet I'm using to store things. My mind tells me I'm just getting things in place to enjoy reasonably over a long future. Hang on. . . I'm not sure that is my mind talking.

You are not alone.

I’m in the same boat! I bought my first pipe at the end of March and now I have eight!!!

I haven’t gone too crazy with the tobacco yet.

I’m enjoying it a lot more than cigar smoking. Plus the smoke isn’t as pungent so I’ve taken to smoking in my office at home from time to time.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No problem, you've only just begun. As long as you're under 100 pipes and 100 pounds of tobacco, you don't have a problem, at least that's what I tell myself.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
No problem, you've only just begun. As long as you're under 100 pipes and 100 pounds of tobacco, you don't have a problem, at least that's what I tell myself.

100 pounds would be a plus IMO.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
100 pounds would be a plus IMO.

Possibly, but since I have not achieved either benchmark, I like to think I have no problem. So I can buy another 30 pipes and 60 lbs. or so and still not have a problem.

Well lets see. 100lbs = 909 50g tins. At an average of about $50.85/tin ($45+13% tax) thats about $46,222.65CAD. Maybe next payday.

What do you think the chances are of that order sneaking through customs?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Possibly, but since I have not achieved either benchmark, I like to think I have no problem. So I can buy another 30 pipes and 60 lbs. or so and still not have a problem.

I like your way of thinking!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Well lets see. 100lbs = 909 50g tins. At an average of about $50.85/tin ($45+13% tax) thats about $46,222.65CAD. Maybe next payday.

For my own rationalization a pound of tobacco is around $50.00. Some is more, some is less. I have 50 pounds so I’m only in for about $2500.00.
Spread out over the rest of my life, 45 years if lucky, I’m looking at less than 60.00 per year so far for aged quality tobacco. Cheap!! That being said I think I need more than a pound of toby a year, so the stockpiling must continue a bit more.

Bulk baccy is cheaper than tinned baccy if you can get it through customs. Especially if you enjoy blends like Luxury Navy Flake or English Supreme. Lane blends can be had at a decent rate bulk as well as Sutliff.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Uh oh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my own rationalization a pound of tobacco is around $50.00. Some is more, some is less. I have 50 pounds so I’m only in for about $2500.00.
Spread out over the rest of my life, 45 years if lucky, I’m looking at less than 60.00 per year so far for aged quality tobacco. Cheap!! That being said I think I need more than a pound of toby a year, so the stockpiling must continue a bit more.

Now that would be awesome. Unfortunately I doubt customs would let that slide through. Lets see what the bill from customs would be.

$2500USD = $3287CAD
Federal excise tax $7.45/50g=$6772
Ontario Tobacco tax $0.185/gm=$8408
Subtotal $18,467
+13% tax =$20,868

Much better. But then there’s the Canadian rule where you’re only allowed to have 5 200g units of unstamped tobacco in your possession. So I’d have to order 1kg at a time and hope my stash doesn’t get searched.

Forgot about shipping.

I’m starting to see the problems that everyone’s talking about at 100lbs. Lol.

former pipe smoker (quit tobacco in all forms in 2002). Are pipe filters more in vogue? I know I had a few brands that came with filters, but weren't essential. My pipe-snob friends always made fun of them when I used them.

Wait, now you're telling me there is such a thing as Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder? It never ends with this forum! :)

After years of blowing my moola on soaps, aftershaves, razors, brushes, now I have more stuff to buy! I'm kidding of course. I'm a complete pipe noob, but I have really been enjoying my Lane 1Q, and I just picked up a few more blends from my local store.

Top Bottom