What's new

Downtown LA - Where can I get some stuff?

I'm staying 2 nights at the Biltmore on a bidness trip M-W next week, and I've never been to LA (or anywhere else in CA).

Where can I pick up some supplies that's nearby? I can probably gut up taking the Mach3 for that Tuesday shave, but I'd really like to make the most of my trip and get some new good smellin' stuff and whatever else I can fit in a carry-on.

bonus points for pointing me in the direction of good food and beverages.

Langers for a Pastrami Sandwich. Stay away for LA Live because you've probably already had similar food elsewhere.

Not sure about gear but you may want to shoot John at LA Shaving Soap a note, he may know of places. If you have time, a 40 minute drive (sans traffic) will get you to West Coast Shaving. You probably can't think of anything they don't have.

Closer to downtown LA is Old Town Shaving Co., in downtown Pasadena. There is a Metro train, or you can drive, if the freeway gods allow it. I've not been yet, but it looks really good. 120 S Raymond Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105
(626) 795-9308.

I can't really help with shaving gear in the Downtown LA area, but I agree with the drive to West Coast Shaving being a necessity if you have time.

As for places to eat. There are a few iconic places relatively close:
Philippes - This place invented the "French Dip" roast beef sandwich. Very casual.
Tommy's Original - Know for their Chili Burger
Pink's - One of the most famous hotdog stands in the world. (Since 1939). In the shadow of the Hollywood sign.

West Coast Shaving is a great store with reasonable prices, but don't try to make it an evening stop. They close at 4:30 PM.

If you can get away during business hours you'll be glad you did.

If you can't get away from downtown hit up Garry from the vendor forum (samples). He works in downtown and has met me up there before to hand deliver products.
Old Town Shave Co is pretty close as noted above in Pasadena, but not super close to the metro station so you'd need to grab a cab or an Uber from the station. That part of Pasadena is cool though so you could definitely spend a good part of a day there.
KoreaTown is right outside of downtown so if you're interested in Korean BBQ I can recommend a couple good spots.

Old Town Shaving in Pasadena is a great little shop. They have an amazing selection if pretty much everything.

Downtown LA is about a 15 minute drive (or less, depending on traffic) to Old Town Shaving.

+1 on Langers and Phillipe's. If you go to Philippe's, I highly recommend the lamb French dip sandwich. Just know, the place is cash only.

Pink's, while an LA icon, is a highly overrated, mediocre hot dog (IMHO, of course).

They close early for a reason and if you have been to the area you know why. Langers makes an excellent Pastrami on Rye just don't wander around. Greenblatt's Deli a little farther north, tourist friendly, on Sunset blvd, has a pastrami that will knock your socks off imho.

Last edited:
No one in their right mind staying in downtown LA visiting for two days would drive out to Chino WCS. Good lord, it would take forever to get there and good luck finding it in that industrial park. I would agree that they stock a killer amount of shaving bliss but not worth blowing the day on. Even Pasadena will take you 30-45 minutes. Damon at Old Town Shaving Co. carries nice stuff, MDC and Xpec come to mind. You would think that there is s barber supply store downtown somewhere, ask the concierge.

Last edited:
They close early for a reason and if you have been to the area you know why. Langers makes an excellent Pastrami on Rye just don't wander around. Greenblatt's Deli a little farther north, tourist friendly, on Sunset blvd, has a pastrami that will knock your socks off imho.
Excellent advice regarding Langer's Deli. Sketchy neighborhood, for sure...but worth a cab ride to the front door (and back).

I beg to differ about Greenblatt's Deli. It's good, but I wouldn't make a special trip to Greenblatt's...that's just me.

Last edited:
Langer's is definitely in an unsavory part of town, which is why they close around 3:00.

Agreed about Greenblatt's. It's nothing special and it's in Hollywood, on Sunset and Crescent Heights, near the Laugh Factory (site where Michael Richards of Seinfeld committed career suicide by using racial slurs at an audience member!).

There is a great barber supply store in downtown LA just 10 minutes walk or less than $10.00 cab/uber ride from the Biltmore. I work in the US Bank Tower at 5th and Grand so you will be in my 'hood' as the kids say :thumbup1:

The place is called Ross Cutlery located at 324 S. Broadway and they have brushes, blades, razors, soaps, creams an aftershaves!

http://rosscutlery.com/

Ross used to be located in the historic Bradbury building which is also just another block away (304 S. Broadway) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradbury_Building

Even better news is downtown LA has amazing food all over the place - just across from the Bradbury building is Grand Central Market at 317 S. Broadway - which really has some amazing gourmet food (Belcampo Meat Co, Wexler's Deli, Berlin Currywurst, Eggslut and of course G&B Coffee) - http://www.grandcentralmarket.com/

Let me know if you need any other food/drink/coffee recommendations in the area!

Heck, let me know if you just need a small aftershave and shaving cream sample or pack of blades and I'll hook you up!

[emoji121]️Best advice in this thread. I forgot about Ross Cutlery. Ross sells new and vintage DE's, straights and hones (synth's and Coticules).

Top Bottom