What's new

Down to 8

Interesting news, thanks for the info!

While I have never really understood anything of the astronomical world, I have always found it very interesting. Maybe it's time for me to read up a bit on the subject (sufficient amount of information available in both soft and hardcopy.

I think that the current definition is better than the originally proposed one. Seemed like the originally proposed one made nearly anything a planet. At least this way the definition is fairly limiting. Truth is though I don't doubt that this settles the matter. I'm betting astronomers and planetary scientists will be arguing over what the true definition of planet should be for quite some time.

That must suck...you show up for work every day for over four billion years, and you show up one day and find out you're out on your ***...

Flyer said:
That must suck...you show up for work every day for over four billion years, and you show up one day and find out you're out on your ***...
... high up in space far far away, a dwarf planet called Pluto opens his eyes and is laughing hard and while looking down on earth he screams: "Screw you all, I don't need you!! Contrary: you WANT to research me, I don't give a damn about you!! And you know what? I'm miles ahead of anything you could ever dream of! HAH! There, I've said it! I'm even gonna say more: Even if you would be able to travel much faster, you can't even touch me in a proper and timely manner and I would still stay a mystery for all of you! Haha, beat that you little earthlings! I know better! You can try as much as you want but I will decide what I let you do and do not know of me! Don't even think that this reclassification will change anything on my end! I'm still the most mysterious and most interesting planet!"

While Pluto gently closes his eyes again, so the mystery continues...

Flyer said:

So, if Pluto had a last name, it would be Dangerfield.

Poor little guy. And what Ashe said - Absolutely.

Pluto needs us a lot less than we need Pluto.

Peace,

Pierre

fuerein said:
I think that the current definition is better than the originally proposed one. Seemed like the originally proposed one made nearly anything a planet. At least this way the definition is fairly limiting. Truth is though I don't doubt that this settles the matter. I'm betting astronomers and planetary scientists will be arguing over what the true definition of planet should be for quite some time.

:biggrin1: Funny, Scientists can't even agree on what the definition of a planet in our own solar system is today, yet they presume to speak with certainty about the universe billions of years ago!

Nothing against scientists, I just get amused at our presumption sometimes. Mankind really knows so little - we should just admit it.

From the article at SPACE.com:

If you did not like Pluto's demotion, don't give up hope.

Arguments over the newly approved definition for "planet" are likely to continue at least until 2009, and astronomers say there is much that remains to be clarified and refined.

It seems Pluto has more fans than originally thought!

Top Bottom