What's new

Dovo Sunday Shaver review

This is the second recent review of new razors I am posting. During my sheltering at home, I purchased and tested several new razors in the mid-price range $100- $200. Hopefully, these reviews will help folks looking for their first or a new blade. Today’s review is of the Dovo Sunday Shaver, 5/8 Spanish Point with yew wood scales.

The link to the Sunday Shaver on the Superior Shave site is: https://thesuperiorshave.com/product/dovo-straight-razor-91-yew/ ; I have shaved with this razor for a week of shaves , so I have a good feel for the blade. This razor is based upon the Bergisher Lowe (Mountain Lion) model. Pricewise it is at the higher end of mid-priced at $190. FYI- there was a Bergisher Lowe variation at Knifecenter at ~$160, but not currently in stock and would more than likely needs a good honing. All the Dovo razors I have purchased new from vendors, other than wet shave specialty vendors, have needed honing.

Grind and Blade, 10 of 10- very nice, symmetrical, and well appointed. The razor is 5/8 size, full hollow, and shoulder-less. The blade is finished evenly and beautifully. The presentation side has a nice tasteful “Sunday Shaver” embellishment. The spine has some nice decorative work, as well. This razor has a Spanish point with the corner cut on the toe end making it easy to get into tight places. No shoulder on the blade will make it easy to touch-up.

Scales, 9 of 10- Lovely yew wood scales. The wood has a good grain pattern and is nicely matte finished. I have been rubbing a bit of oil on the wood and it is toning nicely. The pinning is good, with the razor opening and holding its place with just about the right amount of tension. The blade centers fine. The razor feels good in the hand.

Overall- 9.5 of 10- This razor IMHO is a real winner; a new take on a Dovo classic. Jarrod at Superior Shave did a fine job in designing this model with Dovo. This razor has the best of the Bergisher Lowe design- thin grind, decorative spine, and shoulder-less. The shaves I have had were terrific- close and comfortable. A large part of that was the excellent honing job on the blade. The edge was very sharp, but still face friendly. This razor will be making it into my regular rotation. The only nitpicks I can come up with are that the razor is just a bit light in the hand, at a little less than 50 grams, and it’s 5/8- some might prefer a bit larger. Otherwise, this one is good to go and satisfies well.

In comparison to some other mid-priced Dovos one might consider, this razor compares very well. It shaves for me a bit better than either the Dovo Special or the Bismarck. Both of those are fine razors and I would rate them 9 out of 10; I like them, but just found this one a smidge better. Of course, YMMV.

Well I WAS perfectly happy pining after Gold Dollars. They fit my cheap nature much better. But man the Dovos are really starting to catch my attention.

Yes the Sunday shaver is a Bergischer Lowe without the bling! The are great shavers.

C778AAA3-8BB6-45F0-88F2-A787AB3A4624.jpeg

Top Bottom