What's new

Dovo Palisander from The Superior Shave?

I was really thinking about pulling the trigger on a Dovo Carre, but then I happened across the Palisander model from TSS. here's the link: https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/in...emart_product_id=84&virtuemart_category_id=38

Does anyone have any experience with it or have any insight? Since it was relatively cheap compared to the other similar models, I told my wife she could get it for me for Christmas. Hopefully it'll be a solid shaver. I just needed a second straight to keep in my rotation.

I very much enjoyed the Bismarck as well, and I think the Palisander is very similar....Hopefully it works out for you! :thumbup1:

I recently acquired one from tss. Only had one shave on it and I am impressed. Competitively priced for a shoulderless 6/8. Very good value and I like the understated look.

I don't have any major criticisms. I wouldn't mind some jimps or a bit more weight to the blade. I alternate this with a wacker old sheffield 1st model so it's not really a fair comparison but I do look forward to using the palisander, can't go wrong if that's the style you're after.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I figured it would be at least a decent shave, but I was a little concerned about it not having any jimps. Mike_AU, do you find it to be an issue, or is it just something that you would prefer?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I actually prefer jimp-less. I don't have any problem holding a razor with no jimps, and jimps often become incubator areas for rust. The Gold Dollar conversions I do these days have no jimps, generally.

I have shaved with the Bismarck and yeah the Palisander is on my "get it" list. The blade pattern is very hand-friendly to me, and is a delight to hone. I like the plain and businesslike look of the unadorned Palisander. I honestly don't understand why most razors are not similarly shaped. It is a great shape.

I actually prefer jimp-less. I don't have any problem holding a razor with no jimps, and jimps often become incubator areas for rust. The Gold Dollar conversions I do these days have no jimps, generally.

I have shaved with the Bismarck and yeah the Palisander is on my "get it" list. The blade pattern is very hand-friendly to me, and is a delight to hone. I like the plain and businesslike look of the unadorned Palisander. I honestly don't understand why most razors are not similarly shaped. It is a great shape.

thanks for the input. that's what i was hoping to hear. i also like the plain and simple design; the price, compared to similar models, is just a bonus. hopefully she gets it and doesn't have some kind of a surprise up her sleeve.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That's essentially the Bismarck blade, and Jarrod is sure to give you a good edge and terrific service. At that price point, it's hard to name a better value.

Those two razors, actually more than just those two, are made from the same blank and so are identical to each other, at least mechanically. The differences are in the scales, the blade face marking(s) and the spine etching. But the actual razor is the same as the Carre, Bismark and I believe others.

That was the only razor I just had to have- the TSS 'bare' version. I caught a used one that was effectively new and it has the earlier spine etching that the newer ones do not have and it has the earlier, no longer available scales but otherwise it is identical. A beautiful razor IMO and one of the classiest ones I have ever seen. A touch larger than I would like but an excellent shaving razor; very much hollow ground and mine takes a wonderful edge. The only thing that I would mention is that it is a bit clunky to strop due to the thumb notch, lack of jimps and the triangular spine which makes the blade rise a little bit when flipping the razor over.

Brian

I was really thinking about pulling the trigger on a Dovo Carre, but then I happened across the Palisander model from TSS. here's the link: https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/in...emart_product_id=84&virtuemart_category_id=38

Does anyone have any experience with it or have any insight? Since it was relatively cheap compared to the other similar models, I told my wife she could get it for me for Christmas. Hopefully it'll be a solid shaver. I just needed a second straight to keep in my rotation.

Those two razors, actually more than just those two, are made from the same blank and so are identical to each other, at least mechanically. The differences are in the scales, the blade face marking(s) and the spine etching. But the actual razor is the same as the Carre, Bismark and I believe others.

That was the only razor I just had to have- the TSS 'bare' version. I caught a used one that was effectively new and it has the earlier spine etching that the newer ones do not have and it has the earlier, no longer available scales but otherwise it is identical. A beautiful razor IMO and one of the classiest ones I have ever seen. A touch larger than I would like but an excellent shaving razor; very much hollow ground and mine takes a wonderful edge. The only thing that I would mention is that it is a bit clunky to strop due to the thumb notch, lack of jimps and the triangular spine which makes the blade rise a little bit when flipping the razor over.

Brian

TSS only has 5 left because I bought #14... Haha! I have the Bismarck and want to shave with it more... So I bought the palisander as a "daily driver"... love this design I know I could have bought a thiers for the price of buying this and the Bismarck but I would rather have the Bismarck as a Sunday razor and this one as a daily razor than just one razor that may or may not shave just as nice...

I picked one up as well and really like it. It feels and sounds like an extra hollow, nimble like a CVH MK 30-33 series in hand, and now I know what a maxed out coti edge feels like. Well worth the price as a nimble, responsive, elegantly simple design, well executed.

. The only thing that I would mention is that it is a bit clunky to strop due to the thumb notch, lack of jimps and the triangular spine which makes the blade rise a little bit when flipping the razor over.

Brian

Therein lies the catch with me. I shaved with one once, my first thumb-notched blade, and decided I'm not a thumb-notch guy specifically due to the stropping action. Nice shave, just not my thing with the 'notch, which is sad cuz I love the look.

Therein lies the catch with me. I shaved with one once, my first thumb-notched blade, and decided I'm not a thumb-notch guy specifically due to the stropping action. Nice shave, just not my thing with the 'notch, which is sad cuz I love the look.

I've never had any problems stripping thumb notch razors

The palisander is probably my favorite of current production razors. Shoulderless, not overdone "fancy" decorations, no boring laser etching on the blade. It just looks like a well made tool. If only it had horn scales and a non-round point I'd probably have one by now.

The palisander is probably my favorite of current production razors. Shoulderless, not overdone "fancy" decorations, no boring laser etching on the blade. It just looks like a well made tool. If only it had horn scales and a non-round point I'd probably have one by now.

Ya know there are people here who could arrange that for u... Stay tuned

Top Bottom