What's new

Dovo Palisander from The Superior Shave?

My BST Palisander arrived this morning, and it's a very nice razor indeed - a beautiful blade shape and without the Christmas-tree decorations :biggrin1:

Finally got round to a shave with my new Dovo Palisander, and it was excellent. The weight and balance of the blade are just right, and the grind is first class. Fit and finish are spot on too - the scales are really nice.

I've heard it said there can be issues with entry-level Dovo razors, but I can see why people like the Bismarck-type blades - this has quickly become one of my favourites.

I was contemplating which Dovo to buy (mostly between this and the Carre). Thanks for the info, everyone! I've just ordered a Palisander and can't wait to try it out! It's my first Dovo, and third straight (ordered second yesterday, a TI, yet to arrive). Now, having shaved with a REAL straight all of a week now, I fear this new love of mine is going to dent my wallet more than my wrist watch and other hobbies...

So apparently my wife didn't get me the razor, as I've yet to see it (even though she claims it was delivered late and is at her office, lol). I just went on the website to see what they had in stock. Am I mistaken, or has the price gone up since Christmas? I though it was around $135 when I started this thread. If so, then I might have to have a serious talk with my wife.

I feel your frustration... hopefully she did get it though! I think I decided since these things seem to come and go on the market so quickly that I'd buy what I want when I want (within reason) and I'd leave stones, brushes, soaps and creams, etc., to the gift lists. Regarding the cost, it may have increased. From my research over the past few months (after getting into straights), it seems this hobby is getting quite popular, increasing demand and the big manufacturers are behind in production, so it makes sense if the prices have risen across the board. Specific to the beautiful Palisander, it appears to be a limited run and the wonderfully long-winded gentleman behind the Superior Shave (I love reading that site) claims Dovo isn't accepting anymore custom work due to current work load...so I'd be sure to snatch one up just in case. Let the wife know it's an urgent matter and if she really didn't order, she needs to!

It's always varied from 135 to about 150... I dunno what Jared uses to price them but it's probably wood pattern and fit and finish... Snatch one up from him... They are great shavers

Well my birthday is in about 2 weeks, so I will give her at least until then. Plus, I just purchased a nice Torrey from another member, which set my bank account back a little bit. :001_smile

It's a decent blade and Jarrod is a decent vendor. I have a Palisander and have no complaints. Good all around razor.

Top Bottom