What's new

Dovo? or er... novo...

Greetings All!

I recently acquired a "tennis" razor(20 bucks), but haven't seen one like it before.
Most of the tennis razors I see are either fritz bracht, or just plain dovo, both, as i have come to understand are in fact part of the dovo company (bracht being closer to the 50's).

The razor I (will)have has "Droescher S.R., Inc." on the back instead of either of these names(Says "Tennis Solingen 20" on the front). I read on a post elsewhere on B&B this quotation "Droescher, S.R., Inc.; NY/Germany; 1916-1924", but it was not in reference to a razor I knew as a dovo(an SRD).

To summarize, does anybody know if this razor is a dovo? Or did they simply adopt the "tennis" name at some point like a Buescher>Selmer thing?(sorry for the saxophone metaphor...)

***Update before I post this, just got a picture of the box, says fritz bracht..... according to the droescher quote from another post those time periods don't line up? or do they.....?

Any help/knowledge would be "dynomite!"

my understanding is that dovo bought tennis (and bismarck, for that matter) and used produced tennis branded dovos for a while (maybe while using up excess stock) or continuing a liked brand or something.

Droesher was just a retailer they didn't manufacturer razors. They are best known for the Gold Bug. Your razor was probably made by one of those concerns that became Dovo.

yes, srd was just a vendor like pearlduck.
tennis i believe was an german brand and was later bought by dovo.

So any ideas if a "tennis" blade made pre-dovotakover would be of comparable quality to say a regular fritz bracht blade? I mean it was released under the fritz bracht name (at least on the box), that says something of its quality at least, right?

Coupel of possibilities.
1st: box is not original
2nd Droescher sold a Tennis razor under their name. As they sold Eschers, Swatys etc under their name.

I would like to know what's stamped on the other side of the tang, that might give you a clue.

Coupel of possibilities.
1st: box is not original
2nd Droescher sold a Tennis razor under their name. As they sold Eschers, Swatys etc under their name.

I would like to know what's stamped on the other side of the tang, that might give you a clue.

just
"Tennis
Solingen" with a 20 on one side and,
"S. R. Droescher, Inc.
New York 7
Made in Germany" on the other, the back of the box is also blank.

I considered the box thing as well, but what do you think the chances of two tennis razors getting mixed up along the years are? less than good i'd say given their obscurity.

I have the same box with a regular Fritzh Bracht razor in it has very different lines to the blade and the fancy jimps... At some point in time smebody has written 1944 London England on the box.
Some people like to keep their razors in matching boxes, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the box is not the original to the razor, but acquired later.

Personally I don't care much what it says on a razor, more important is how it shaves. Of course, many people would pay a lot of money for just the right stamps.

Top Bottom