What's new

Dovo "Best Quality"

I haven't been able to find any reviews on this razor. It seems to be the budget Dovo and I am certainly on a budget, pretty much to the point where I still can't even get this one, but I'm planning for the future. Anyway I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with these and how they shave.

JBLAZE725,

The Dovo Best was my first straght - I got the 1/2 hollow.
I found it a very good razor to start with.
I really like mine, and it is in my rotation of go-to razors.
It responds well to touch-ups with a pasted strop, and shaves really well.

Best regards

Russ

Thank you for the response. I read a review Joel did on the Dovo "Special" hwhich was very good, but that ones a bit more expensive. I would of course like a beautiful razor, but my main concern is getting a great shaver on a budget.

I bought one of the Best Quality in 6/8 and it out performs my more expensive Dovos by a fair amount...go figure? I love mine and use it regularly the more expensive ones...not so often.

The Dovo Best is a great razor. I think all the Dovo carbon razors are pretty much the same blade -- you pay extra for fancy scales, gold wash, etc., none of which affects the shave.

I frequently advise new folks to get a Best, get it professionally honed, and then just get to work.

H

Hanzo

You might try Straight Razor Designs. I bought a Dovo Tortoise 6/8 for $114 and its excellent. I bought the same razor in 5/8 based on Joels review its good as well. The Best and Special seem like good buys.Though I found that finding reviews of the Best is difficult. Since its a cheaply priced razor , it doesn't have the prestige so is not sought out especially. I have read though that the Best in recent years was priced at about $50 now they seem to go for around $80.

SRD also have some specials going on with free shipping or strop , might check out there website.

i was not impressed by the entry level dovo, but that may have been the period they made them, the batch, or the individual razor.
somebody has been saying that the current production is much better, but i don't think i'll be finiding out since i've already figured out what i like and what i don't.

but if you want new dovo you have no other choice within your budget. you won't be able to tell the difference between it and a much better razor for quite some time anyways. it is a fine razor fully capable of giving good shave when honed and used properly.

i know everybody thinks they want the best shaving razor ever for $50, but I've seen plenty of razors that shave better than any current production dovo (and in my view look better too) sit for weeks on b/s/t.

that's why the best is to first figure out what is important for you and get a razor that fits the bill without worrying too much.

reviews and opinions are just that - for example, i'd never buy a razor on the recommendation of somebody who hasn't shaved with at least 100 razors because they just can't evaluate the things that are important to me.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Dovo Best for one of your first razors.

I have a 6/8" Best which is currently my favourite go to razor ( over more highly regarded Dovos, DD and others that I own. )

Just works for me.

Thank you all for your help. I feel a little more comfortable looking to purchase this straight now. I will still continue to research, but this will be in the running.

I recently started using a shavette but quickly found I wanted a straight- but I'm on a student's budget.

Similarly, I looked into the Best Quality Dovo (~£50), but you might want to consider the plastic Wapi (~£30), that is reputedly just as good. I've just ordered one, so I haven't used it yet, but the money I saved allowed me to get the strop.

Might be worth the look if you want to save some money as I did.

I recently started using a shavette but quickly found I wanted a straight- but I'm on a student's budget.

Similarly, I looked into the Best Quality Dovo (~£50), but you might want to consider the plastic Wapi (~£30), that is reputedly just as good. I've just ordered one, so I haven't used it yet, but the money I saved allowed me to get the strop.

Might be worth the look if you want to save some money as I did.

I will look into these as well. I am in no position to make the purchase now so I have quite a bit of time to research and make up my mind. Just looking for some help finding info on items that I can't find reviews on.

Top Bottom