What's new

Dove Men+Care Skin Defense Hydrating soap or others targeted specifically at shaving?

Dollar Tree also carries the Dove Men + care 3 in 1. Like the above poster I've used it a few times to shave and find it to be decent.

I've shaved with it several times and have had pretty good results. I don't think I'd want to use it daily, but it can sufficiently handle a spot shave for me.

1687208235175.png

The Dial glycerin bar soap works as a good preshave from experience. The Neutrogena glycerin bars are also effective. Just rubbing my hard puck shaving soaps or shave sticks will also work. Just by rubbing any of the above on your wet face prior to lathering on a loaded brush will lead to a better shave by adding extra slickness/glide/protection.

I was looking at the Dove soaps as I pondered the preshave options.

Dove Men+Care Skin Defense Hydrating Antibacterial bar soap is one I wondered about. Dove has a Deep clean and two scents of "Shave" bars as well. Do any of these work as well, or close to as well, as the more dedicated glycerine preshave bars? The PAA Cube looks good but, $20 shipped is a big chunk of change when I can get a 3.75oz bar of Dove soap for $1.25~$1.60.

The only option I see normally is the ACH Brito Glyce Lime Pre-Shaving Soap which is $10 on Amazon. Most other options seem to be sold out or hugely expensive.

I have tried the better face cleansers and high-quality lotions and they were okay but nothing I would consider special. I don't want to use oils or lotions generally due to clean up and general "goo" issues. Glycerine soaps are hard to find locally so, my thoughts of buying one somewhere and giving it a go have not panned out.

What are the better preshave products that are cheap in relative terms? I want more than a shower or shot towel and CeraVee, while available locally, is darn near $20 for 2oz! 😲

While the PAA Cube with its CK6 additives is probably awesome, $20 is a bit much IMHO even for an 8oz cube. That being said, the 5.8oz puck of Ach Brito Glyce is ~$11 at my door so, almost half the cost with seemingly good reviews but, still a lot more expensive than the Dove options. I see Ach Brito Glyce listed as out of stock and a lot cheaper at my normal razor webstores on the other side of the Atlantic so, next time I need to place an order, I will probably have one thrown in along with blades, soap pucks, and whatever else I pick up.

So, what is good and on the cheaper side? Am I getting close with the Dove bar options or, is that a waste for shaving?

TIA,
Sid
As @Keyvan posted above I've found that Dove Men+Care is an excellent superlathering ingredient to my shaving soap blends. Alone it lathers almost too well and as others have posted can be used to shave though it doesn't provide the level of slickness one can get by blending it.

As YMMV give it a try and see how it works for you. My best blends include a mix of Williams or Arko (Williams discontinued) with Van Der Hagen Deluxe. About 15% of the blend, by weight, is the Dove Men+Care plus a bit of Proraso Red and Ivory. You can find all the details in my posts. Core shaving performance (lathering ease and quality) is excellent.

I did experiment with Dove Men+Care and Ivory (50/50 mix) and generated usable lather with more slickness than Dove alone. Without the melt and pour Van Der Hagen as a binder the puck was a bit crumbly. Would likely adjust to 2/3 Dove and 1/3 Ivory in a future experiment. Used most of the 50/50 blend as shower soap after a few shaves. Link below.

Play around and see what works for you.

Link to Dove/Ivory blend experiment noted above:

Why use Dove as a pre-shave? I use it as a shaving soap and it makes wonderful lather, particularly when combined with Irish Spring.
Hi Quaznoid, Very consistent with my Dove/Ivory blend experiments referenced in my post above. Dove provides great lather while the Ivory or Irish Spring enhances slickness.

Curious, what ration of Dove to Irish Spring works best for you? Also how do you get your blend to stick together. I found the Dove/Ivory combo to be a bit crumbly as it did not include any melt and pour (Van Der Hagen in my case) that acts as a binder in my other blends.

I grate this, Arko, and VDH Luxury and then combine it for a wonderful frankensoap that lathers easily, smells wonderful, is super slick, and holds its lather structure exceedingly well.
Very similar to my blends though I still include some Williams from my reserve stock. Latest blend with Arko, Williams and VDH works well. Try adding a small amount of Dove Men+Care as a super lathering ingredient. Found that this really enhances the blend.

As @Keyvan posted above I've found that Dove Men+Care is an excellent superlathering ingredient to my shaving soap blends. Alone it lathers almost too well and as others have posted can be used to shave though it doesn't provide the level of slickness one can get by blending it.

As YMMV give it a try and see how it works for you. My best blends include a mix of Williams or Arko (Williams discontinued) with Van Der Hagen Deluxe. About 15% of the blend, by weight, is the Dove Men+Care plus a bit of Proraso Red and Ivory. You can find all the details in my posts. Core shaving performance (lathering ease and quality) is excellent.

I did experiment with Dove Men+Care and Ivory (50/50 mix) and generated usable lather with more slickness than Dove alone. Without the melt and pour Van Der Hagen as a binder the puck was a bit crumbly. Would likely adjust to 2/3 Dove and 1/3 Ivory in a future experiment. Used most of the 50/50 blend as shower soap after a few shaves. Link below.

Play around and see what works for you.

Link to Dove/Ivory blend experiment noted above:

DMC is generally a great non-drying soap. Since the time you told me about it, I have also started using it to make wash my face at night. As a pre-shave face wash, it is also a good way to moisturize and soften your facial hair.

I don’t do anything other than toss whatever soap scraps I find around the house into my shaving bowl. This usually results in an Irish Spring-Dove blend w an occasional Dial tossed in. The scraps “live” in the bowl and I add hot water to them and lather as needed, then set them aside for next time. They sort of melt into a blend on their own. There are no planned ratios; I get whatever I get in a random mix. They all work well.

I had to pick up some of this DOVE MEN CARE 3-1 to see what it's all about. Basically great marketing because for the 95% of the ingredients it's the same as their other more "women" friendly soaps. Funny!
1709415079729.png

Dove Pink Gentle Deep Girly Bar
1709415242127.png

Top Bottom