What's new

Dove in the deep end

Hey folks!

Got an update on my reloading adventures for you. And oh boy, I've gotten the bug in a big way.

Got a press, dies for 32-20, 38 Special/357 Magnum, .380 ACP, an RCBS Uniflow with an older rifle cylinder and a brand new pistol cylinder, and enough bullets, brass and primers for (at least) months of happy shooting. Plus a few odds and ends, some of which are not pictured here.
IMG_20190421_173811537.jpg

So here's what I've already reloaded, and my preferred (so far) loads with pictures if available.

32-20. 115 grain cast lead bullet, Starline brass, Winchester primers, 3cc Lee dipper of Unique. Works beautifully.
54729263_2263337933713185_8855173325316423680_o - Copy.jpg

38 Special. Pretty much any bullet weight/material, CCI primers, 4.5gr-4.8gr Unique. I've also done some full wadcutters, yet to test those out. I'm also no longer using the .5cc Lee dipper, as that was the culprit for my early squibs.
IMG_20190420_204858667.jpg

IMG_20190330_174246434.jpg

380 ACP. First batch done, haven't tested it yet. Once fired mixed brass (fired by me, not sorted before reloading), CCI primers, 90gr Hornady XTP, and 3.8gr Unique.
IMG_20190429_000424788.jpg

There is only one round I shoot that I haven't gotten into yet, and that's because I've had to order everything for it online. 7.62x52R. None of my local stores have the dies or the bullets, so all I have is the primers and powder. Picked up some IMR 4895 for that one, and intend on loading around 35gr-38gr to start.

Turns out the Lee reloading manual I have is not a fan of Unique for many (if any) loads, and the only powder brand it lists for 7.62x54R is Vihtavuori until you get into the very much so higher bullet weights. I can't get that powder brand anywhere around here, and having it shipped to me in grand old New York State is either a) prohibitively expensive, b) a hassle, or c) a combination of the 2. So 4895 it is, and scrounging of internet resources.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice when I got started down this rabbit hole. I look forward to asking for more tips/assistance, and sharing my own experiences.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Great setup! It's very rewarding, as you're seeing.

You don't save money, as touted; no .... you just get to shoot more!

The deep understanding of ballistics is the best part, IMHO.

We should get reloader's T-shirts ... "I care a LOT about a thousandth of an inch."

AA

Great setup! It's very rewarding, as you're seeing.

You don't save money, as touted; no .... you just get to shoot more!

The deep understanding of ballistics is the best part, IMHO.

We should get reloader's T-shirts ... "I care a LOT about a thousandth of an inch."

AA
For me it's about more bang for the buck (literally in this instance), and having more knowledge about what I'm actually shooting.

And it's fun!

Top Bottom