What's new

Dove as a shaving soap?

I have been tinkering with bath and body soaps for a while to see if any of them might work as a shaving soap in a pinch. Ivory was always mentioned and has been a disappointment as the lather just dissipates on contact with the skin and this is something I've noticed in all bars I've tried as well. Finally, I tried Dove and it seems it actually works very well! The foam is very stable and doesn't take long to build to a nice stiff consistency.

I tried a mock shave (using my Whieshi without a blade) to see how it would hold up over the course of a shave and it seems to work very well. Post "shave" I didn't feel that it was as moisturizing as I would have expected considering Dove promotes itself as 1/4 moisturizing cream. Note, I used the Shea butter version so other versions might be a little more different post shave. Also, there was some stickiness between passes before I rinsed but it may be that I kept my lather too dry.

Overall, I would use this in a pinch and might even try a few shaves with it just for fun. Has anyone else tried Dove and had a good or bad experience with it? Are their any others that perform well as a shaving soap?

I've never tried Dove but I've been planning to introduce the B&B Shaving Soap Aficionado's to Grandpa's Soaps.
http://www.grandpabrands.com

I have been using several types of their soaps for face washing, bathing, etc. One that really caught my attention was this one. Orange Essence (with Olive Oil and Chamomile. http://www.grandpabrands.com/products/orange-essence-soap . As soon as you remove the plastic wrapper,
your olfactory receptors are overwhelmed with the smell of fresh cut oranges, orange blossoms, and creamsicles.

It's made with quality ingredients and makes a wonderful lather with my Semogue Cerda Boar Brush. When I visit my shaving den I always remove the lid and take a whiff from my private orange grove. It's available from Amazon and several other vendors. Usually cheaper and free shipping from other vendors. Just google grandpa brands soaps.

Update: Recently I started adding a small almond size drop of C.O.Bigelow Shaving Cream to the Orange Essence bar. It just helps makes the lather thicker. The fresh cut orange smell is already astounding .

Last edited:
I agree with dabrock -- Dove is a pretty reasonable alternative shave soap (in a pinch). None of the other bar soaps I've tried come close.

In my experience, Dove lather is a bit on the light side. Using enough product, I was able to generate reasonably good lather, but it tended to dry out on my face faster than I would like. My solution was to grate a half a bar of Dove with a puck of VDH Deluxe, and add 3 or 4 tablespoons of Kiss My Face Mint. Packed into a bowl, it sets up after a few days like a firm croap. It whips up quickly and easily, and gives me a rich and slick (and need I say, very economical) lather.

I've never tried Dove but I've been planning to introduce the B&B Shaving Soap Aficionado's to Grandpa's Soaps.

I have been using several types of their soaps for face washing, bathing, etc. One that really caught my attention was this one. Orange Essence (with Olive Oil and Chamomile. http://www.grandpabrands.com/products/orange-essence-soap . As soon as you remove the plastic wrapper,
your olfactory receptors are overwhelmed with the smell of fresh cut oranges, orange blossoms, and creamsicles.

It's made with quality ingredients and makes a wonderful lather with my Semogue Cerda Boar Brush. When I visit my shaving den I always have to remove the lid and take a whiff of my private orange grove. It's available from Amazon and several other vendors. Usually cheaper and free shipping from other vendors. Just google grandpa brands soaps.

I know their flagship Pine Tar soap is advertised as a multi-purpose soap.

I know their flagship Pine Tar soap is advertised as a multi-purpose soap.

I suffer from psoriasis and rosacea. There pine tar soap and shampoo has worked wonders for my facial complexion and scalp. There Orange Essence soap is cheaper than the price of a gallon of gasoline. Give it a try and I think you'll be surprised.

I suffer from psoriasis and rosacea. There pine tar soap and shampoo has worked wonders for my facial complexion and scalp. There Orange Essence soap is cheaper than the price of a gallon of gasoline. Give it a try and I think you'll be surprised.

I see the entire line at a local health food store. Interesting.

It's made with quality ingredients and makes a wonderful lather with my Semogue Cerda Boar Brush. When I visit my shaving den I always have to remove the lid and take a whiff of my private orange grove. It's available from Amazon and several other vendors. Usually cheaper and free shipping from other vendors. Just google grandpa brands soaps.

Update: Recently I started adding a small almond size drop of C.O.Bigelow Shaving Cream to the Orange Essence bar. It just helps makes the lather thicker. The fresh cut orange smell is already astounding .

I'll have to look around to see who supplies that in Canada -- another soap for my SSAD. :001_cool:

I agree with dabrock -- Dove is a pretty reasonable alternative shave soap (in a pinch). None of the other bar soaps I've tried come close.

In my experience, Dove lather is a bit on the light side. Using enough product, I was able to generate reasonably good lather, but it tended to dry out on my face faster than I would like. My solution was to grate a half a bar of Dove with a puck of VDH Deluxe, and add 3 or 4 tablespoons of Kiss My Face Mint. Packed into a bowl, it sets up after a few days like a firm croap. It whips up quickly and easily, and gives me a rich and slick (and need I say, very economical) lather.

I was thinking of trying a super with RSC or KMF tonight and we'll see how that goes. With the Shea butter it should be a nice combo.

I have been tinkering with bath and body soaps for a while to see if any of them might work as a shaving soap in a pinch. Ivory was always mentioned and has been a disappointment as the lather just dissipates on contact with the skin and this is something I've noticed in all bars I've tried as well. Finally, I tried Dove and it seems it actually works very well! The foam is very stable and doesn't take long to build to a nice stiff consistency.

I tried a mock shave (using my Whieshi without a blade) to see how it would hold up over the course of a shave and it seems to work very well. Post "shave" I didn't feel that it was as moisturizing as I would have expected considering Dove promotes itself as 1/4 moisturizing cream. Note, I used the Shea butter version so other versions might be a little more different post shave. Also, there was some stickiness between passes before I rinsed but it may be that I kept my lather too dry.

Overall, I would use this in a pinch and might even try a few shaves with it just for fun. Has anyone else tried Dove and had a good or bad experience with it? Are their any others that perform well as a shaving soap?

Please let me apologize for hijacking your post. I have been planning on posting my experience with Orange Essence Soap and including pictures. I should have posted this in a separate thread. Please accept my apology.

No problem at all, guys. I certainly like the information and I was asking for other ideas for soaps to try. :thumbup1:

I believe that I have used every soap imaginable (even dish washing soap) at one time or another....

Now I try to stick with shaving soaps and creams :yesnod:

I believe that I have used every soap imaginable (even dish washing soap) at one time or another....

Now I try to stick with shaving soaps and creams :yesnod:

Dish washer soap? Either you were very determined or really out of options! :scared:

$dove1.jpg
Quickly whipped some Dove up...

Nice lather there, JRL mentioned he found the lather a little thin, but mine was very thick. I was using the Shea butter version so that might have added some thickness to it. It may not be the best for shaving but it isn't meant to be a shaving soap and the fact that you can get it everywhere cheap is enough for me to recommend it for a person who really needs something in a pinch.

Nice lather there, JRL mentioned he found the lather a little thin, but mine was very thick. I was using the Shea butter version so that might have added some thickness to it. It may not be the best for shaving but it isn't meant to be a shaving soap and the fact that you can get it everywhere cheap is enough for me to recommend it for a person who really needs something in a pinch.

Plus one

When I run out of the real shaving soap I've collected over the years I may give this a try. I figure it will take about 25 years. I'll be about 90 then. On second thought, maybe I won't.

Yeah... Dove is not bad at all for shaving.. I had mentioned this in the forum some time back so this is not actually a new discussion...

Honestly though I never used it with the brush, I just palm lathered it. I will try the brush later on it and see what I can do with it..

interesting....

Top Bottom