What's new

Doug Smith Suribachi Bowl

For the past month I have been experimenting with making lather in a bowl. Prior to that I had been exclusively face lathering. Have recently tried Captains Choice bowl standard & large (large is too big), Timeless bowl (nice for a gym bag), Georgetown G12 scuttle (hooray for warm lather!), and a silicone collapsible pet bowl (very compact).

I just received a suribachi bowl from Doug Smith Pottery (see Etsy). This is by far the best bowl that I have tried in that it makes phenomenal lather in such a short amount of time. Before I ordered this bowl, I went to a Japanese supermarket and looked suribachi bowls that they had. Frankly the bowl interior seemed super rough so I was concerned that it might damage badger brushes. Fast forward to the Doug Smith bowl and interior is much smother than the store bowl. The bowl is easy to hold. Anyway very pleased with it.

IMG_0975.jpg
IMG_0976.jpg

Last edited:
In my uneducated opinion, the delicate shaving brush fibers (natural or synthetic) would be destroyed by the rough surface of the bowl. Sooner or later. The primary use of the bowl is for grinding, after all.
I could be wrong as I have been wrong before.

Enjoy yours, for sure.

In my uneducated opinion, the delicate shaving brush fibers (natural or synthetic) would be destroyed by the rough surface of the bowl. Sooner or later. The primary use of the bowl is for grinding, after all.
I could be wrong as I have been wrong before.

Enjoy yours, for sure.

proxy.php

Somehow the text got lost. Here it is:
Hm...perhaps I should stop face lathering. I'm sure my face gets rougher than any bowl.
What I'm really saying is that you're right. This is normal wear and tear. Theoretically a bowl that is glazed on the inside, with some ridges, might strike the optimal balance between effect and wear. Just another uneducated opinion, mind you.

Reactions: nav
"Unglazed interior with sharp ridges", have you noticed any adverse effects on your brush?
The Doug Smith suribachi bowl is made especially for lathering. There are no sharp ridges. The Helen bowl I believe does have sharper ridges. The one I saw in the supermarket felt like 80 grit. Anyway if you google you will find that many DE shavers have seen no adverse brush effects using a suribachi bowl.

The bowl on post 2 has wicked ridges.....; the one on amazon is less marked or looks to have not so sharp edges.
These devices are made to grind seed....so they will NOT be gentle.
I only use 2 swine brushes I do not like and one synthetic that I really like....so far NO damage. My expensive brushes do not get exposed to this. but it whorks.....it creates good lather.....spaniards love them......
I rather load the soap and then face/head lather....that works for me just fine *with any soap or cream. And I am just a regular shaver.

Here is a review of that amazon bowl...(the ridges are not sharp (for me)) . "All show and no go. Grinding ribs are shallow and dull, not the deep, sharp Vee of a working suribachi, if you ever used a real suribachi. If not, this isn't how it's supposed to work"----- hence it's ok for lathering...but save your nice brushes...

Top Bottom