What's new

Doubts about moving to cartridge razors

Before you read this thread, I'd suggest you read (only my part) these threads first.

Move to Mach 3?

More reasons to ditch DE and move to a Mach 3

Now that you've read them, here's the news. I still have my Gillette Sterling, and decided to give it another go today after reading all the suggestions in the previous two threads (apply no pressure at all).

I used Vidyut SuperMax Stainless blades, one of the smoother ones out there and the shave was pretty good to say the least.

The burn when I applied the alum was almost the same (if not lesser than) as when done with a Mach 3 i.e., almost negligible.

The closeness of my latest DE shave was around 60-70% of that achieved by a Mach 3 keeping in mind that I did only two passes this time round (I do three with the Mach 3: WTG, XTG and ATG); and both were WTG.

Here's to this forum and the gentlemen (and ladies if there are any) on it. Thank you!

I used a cartridge for 41 years. There was the Trac II, Atra, Mach III, and Fusion. Some vibrated like sexy toys and some didn’t. I discovered that there was a reason it was hard to cut yourself with them. Yes, they gave me a DFS, but they weren’t BBS.

Since 2016 I have used a DE and finessed my technique. I’ve just never been able to get this close. I’m even trying my straight now, because I’m convinced it can do better.

From 2012 to 2016, I was doing 3 pass shaves with the Fusion. Using all the pep tricks got me to a DFS, but no better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations! DE shaving is very different than with cartridges. Good lather, light touch, and patience, and it will all come together. Shave on, and best of luck. :001_smile

Over the years I've tried Cart razors form the Track II to the Fusion each time I got a close shave But I always got razor burn, bumps and ingrown hairs, I always went back to my SR, DE or SE razor for a very comfortable close or BBS.
My son had a problem with razor burn and not getting a close shave. The problem was fixed by re-teaching him the proper technique.
I'll agree that there are some that the Cartridge razor gives them a better shave, each of us has our preference for shaving. For that close and comfortable shave as an end result, IMPO there is now wrong way.

Carts will give you a DFS but, they are light & you will find yourself using pressure when shaving. It took me a long time to control the pressure instinct when I switched over to a DE razor.

In my cartridge days (seems so long ago - just a few months) I found I could get BBS with multiple passes and a lot of pressure.

It looked great however it was less than comfortable in the following hours and I could no way do it 2 days in a row so had to be saved for special occasions only

Whatever works is fine.

I used many different carts over the years with ho-hum (at best) results. Shaving was a chore!

Now I get a DFS or better most every day with traditional wet shaving. I enjoy the experience! YMMV for sure.

Shaving is highly subjective. If cartridges work well for you, go for it.

As for myself, one pass with a Mach 3 is roughly comparable to one pass with a DE. Shrug.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't like the over kill of multiple bladed cartridge razors. But I do get a great shave from a vintage Trac II cartridge. I rotate my shaves with all manner and style of razors. DE, SE, Injector, Straight, Shavette and vintage Cartridge with handle.

Technique is greater than tools. Shave enough, long enough, with the tool you desire and you will become very efficient with it. no matter the type.

Beware of the man with just one gun. (razor) He probably knows how to use it. -Clint Smith

Gillette guard is my razor now that i wake up extra early for work. Awesome shave every time! Clean and fresh in 5min.....
Carts are fine....even if it had 10 blades. Just dont apply too much pressure!
I see guys shaving in gym change rooms and they are pushing that cart so hard against their skin. No wonder carts get a bad rap.....
The problem isn’t the razor, its the person using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best shaves I've gotten are using a Mach III & Gillette Fusion Proglide. I define a "best" shave as BBS with NO weepers & little to no irritation.

Using a DE razor, I've gotten my fair share of BBS shaves. No doubt. BUT... the expense was irritation & weepers. I used a DE razor on Tuesday w/Tabac. I was dying to try it w/Tabac. Great BBS shave w/a few weepers and irritation. I fully understand that it's all about technique when it comes to using a DE razor. You can't shave with a DE razor the way you shave with a cart. That may very well be the root of my problem when I use a DE razor. I get that.

But I'm sorry... I can't be taking 30 minutes to shave. I don't have the patience. Not to mention, in order for me to get a BBS shave I MUST go against the grain and across the grain. And when I do that I ALWAYS get a couple of nicks w/the DE razor. Never happens to me with a cart.

Oh.. forgot to mention that I can't imagine shaving w/a cart and NOT applying pressure. I ALWAYS apply pressure when using a cart. Otherwise I would never get a BBS shave. And that's a problem when I use a DE razor. I must always apply some pressure otherwise I can never get a close shave.

Last edited:
I can't be taking 30 minutes to shave. I don't have the patience. Not to mention, in order for me to get a BBS shave I MUST go against the grain and across the grain. And when I do that I ALWAYS get a couple of nicks w/the DE razor
The time the razor is applied to the face is a small part of the whole process. The rest of the time is preparation and finishing which would apply regardless of razor used. Nicks, weepers, irritation and cuts are usually the result of poor technique so work on that aspect. Some areas like the chin are tricky to maintain blade angle.
I ALWAYS apply pressure when using a cart. Otherwise I would never get a BBS shave. And that's a problem when I use a DE razor. I must always apply some pressure otherwise I can never get a close shave.
Therein lies a problem. You cannot change from one to another without adapting your technique. Light contact with the DE razor and let the blade do the work. It needs continuous practice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I can get a great shave very fast with a DE razor. Or I can take my time and get a perfect shave.

If you have the technique such that you become automatic with the razor, I see no benefits of the cartridge system. If I need to, I can shave just as fast with a DE as I can with a cartridge, but with less irritation. The reason for this is that I moved to DE while still in my teens, and am still using it in my 40s. On the rare occasion that I use a cartridge set up, I get a disappointing shave with a lot of soreness, because I've had to go over several areas multiple times.

The bottom line is that you can get a decent shave from both, but you have to drive them differently. You need to take more time with DE to start with, but after you become fluent, you become quite capable of getting a good quick shave if you need it. So, if you're not prepared to spend the time mastering the DE, then by all means go cartridges

Invicta - I've been shaving for over 35 years. I've had more than my fair share of BBS shaves using carts & DE razors. I ALWAYS shave after a shower. My pre & post shave steps are no different regardless of tool that I use to actually shave.

It has been my experience that using a DE razor takes more time. FOR ME it actually takes about twice the amount of time to shave using a DE vs a cart. If it takes you the same amount of time regardless of tool you use, good for you! I'm jealous. I wish I could do the same. But I can't.

I've tried little to no pressure with a DE razor and the result is something far less than a BBS shave. I have to apply some pressure. And unfortunately for me that leads to too many nicks and more irritation that I care for.

No worries! I love my carts! I get 40-50 shaves out of them and I always get a BBS shave rarely getting a nick & irritation. Sure I miss the beauty of using a DE razor. But every once in a while I suck it up & indulge. :wink2:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If you are failing to get a great shave with little or no pressure with your DE razor, it's because the orientation of the razor isn't quite right. Pivoting cartridge systems are very forgiving in this aspect, but with DE it's all down to the user. This may be why you are feeling unsatisfied with the shave you are getting, and why you are tempted to apply pressure (which to some extent is necessary on cartridge systems, thus giving you a natural urge to do so in order to compensate for lack of closeness).

Moving to DE from a cartridge system does take time to relearn techniques, as such as the pressure aspect are counter intuitive if you a coming from cartridges. I can do a quick DE shave purely because I have done it for so long, and I would not suggest anyone new to it try to do it fast. Might I suggest using the DE system in the evening, instead of rushing in the morning, or at least using it at weekends and days off when you are less pressured by time. There is a learning curve to go through, and you will not get proficient at it without unlearning the muscle memory you have with the cartridges.

If you are not prepared to go through that curve, then I hope you find a cartridge system that works well for you. Good luck, whichever you choose

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
OK, I've just brought forward this evening's shave, just to see how long I actually do take.

Went upstairs, quick pee, wash the hands then face, (I only prep with water, not bought product), lather up the Mitchells Wool Fat on the face, North to South passes, lather again, South to North passes. A little touch up on the right hand side, rinse out the brush, the razor, and the sink. Apply a little balm, and go back downstairs.

I was away from the computer for eight minutes. I didn't rush, but I didn't dwell either. I'm not trying to brag or rub salt in the wound as it were, I just want to let you know that it is possible, once you become fluent and automatic with the razor. Yes, sometimes I can spend 30 mins in there, or sometimes I can do a quick 3 minute one pass scrape if I need to. It takes time to master it though, and to be honest I spend longer using cartridge razors than you do, and still end up with a bad shave, purely because I'm not used to them (same thing as you but in reverse)

Congratulations! DE shaving is very different than with cartridges. Good lather, light touch, and patience, and it will all come together. Shave on, and best of luck. :001_smile

This!

FWIW It took me months, yes, months, to get the hang of it... Now I shave with, say, a SR/Feather with reckless abandon...

Invicta - I've been shaving for over 35 years. I've had more than my fair share of BBS shaves using carts & DE razors. I ALWAYS shave after a shower. My pre & post shave steps are no different regardless of tool that I use to actually shave.

It has been my experience that using a DE razor takes more time. FOR ME it actually takes about twice the amount of time to shave using a DE vs a cart. If it takes you the same amount of time regardless of tool you use, good for you! I'm jealous. I wish I could do the same. But I can't.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I do a 4-pass shave and timed the 2nd, 3rd and 4th passes today. Re-lathering (30 sec), 2nd pass with the razor (1'20 sec) and rinse took in total 2 minutes. The 3rd lather and pass took a similar time and the 4th pass took 2' 35 sec. All I am saying is the extra passes are relatively short in time.
I assume you do a 2 pass shave with the cartridge. A 3 pass shave with the DE just adds another 2' to 2' 30 sec to the overall time which is not a lot of extra time in the overall process. It does take more time with the DE razor but not twice as much.
I can understand you have to take is slowly initially to get the technique grooved in but once established the routine is much faster as you gain in confidence.

I went from DE back to carts and disposables and havent looked back. Ive found that using modern gear with a traditional technique gives me the best results.
I stick to using razors that have no more than 3 blades. Lately, Ive been using the Barbasol Ultra 3 (Dorco) and have gotten great results with them.
I still have a couple vintage Gillette DEs but they have been banished to the drawer in my nightstand lately. I'll never get rid of them but I dont see myself going back to them anytime soon because carts and disposables are so easy to use and give such great, close, comfortable shaves.

Top Bottom