What's new

Doubting the straight razor shave.

I'm just going to put this out there and see what gets thrown back.

I shave with a straight razor. I get a pretty great shave with it. However, I contend that there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that it is possible to get as close a shave with a straight razor as you can with a cartridge razor like the Gilette Turbo/Fusion/whatever.

I just don't see how it is possible. I can slash at my face pass after pass for about a half hour and pretty soon the razor just won't catch any more stubble, and yet my face will only feel smooth when rubbing WITH the grain

OR

I can do 2 quick passes with a Gilette Fusion and have a shave so smooth that I feel no stubble at all, even when rubbing against the grain.

What says everyone? Given that I love the PROCESS of shaving, and enjoy using my straight razors because it provides me some time to focus and regroup, I doubt I'll give it up, but when I first got into shaving with it, I heard tell that the shave was closer than cartridges. It isn't, and I don't see how it could be.

No I don't work for Gilette, yes I love my Dovo, and no I'm not trying to bait anyone. I'm just starting to believe there is a real reason why most men don't use straight razors anymore, and it isn't just an issue of time and learning curves.

Very true in all regards. Of course, an expert with a perfectly honed blade can do almost as good a job but it is far easier to just use a 5 blade razor and far quicker. However, those of us who do use a straight razor often do it as an affectation and not for shaving perfection. And, one can trim a sideburn perfectly with an SR better than any other way so they are useful that way over a 5 blade. I am a razor collector and have been since I started up a st razor sales operation by mail order at age 18 - and I am 67 now. That is the main reason I have st razors, I just like owning them and justify my buying them by shaving with them etc.

I'm just starting out with it, but I'm finding my Feather AC with the Kai Captain Mild blades gets impressively close. I wouldn't trade the results for the probability of more irritation and certainty of the higher cost of a cartridge razor.

I shave with a straight razor. I get a pretty great shave with it. However, I contend that there is NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH that it is possible to get as close a shave with a straight razor as you can with a cartridge razor like the Gilette Turbo/Fusion/whatever.

If you believe it is not possible - it never will be!

100% possible.

New here, not keeping track of people.
Last post was 2 weeks ago so I guess there are other doubters that are interested.
I was not expecting a response, just stating fact.
It takes time to do anything really well. I think most believe it is easy and will be amazing from the get go.
When they learn it isn't and will take time and effort - they bail. It's not for them.
You really have to want to do this. It can be a longer journey for some but to those that persist and succeed they are rewarded with not only fantastic shaves and something to look forward to instead of dreading but also pride in their own success.
For many it is cathartic, good for the soul, relaxing, making time for yourself that you never took before.
Not sure if you get that much out of it with a shavette, but like anything - the more you put in the more you get out.
My 2 cents.

One thing I can add only been using a straight for a short period of time compared to some gents on here, but the point I find is straights make you focus on the point and relaxes you, modern man is all rush in everything and I mean everything work rest or play.
My point now is you can only rush so much that it leads to an early grave yes I have been there and it opens ones eyes, take your time relax and chill and focus your mind and that's what straights has shown me.
If the younger gents want to go at warp speed let them, and that's the point the cartridge shaving system is now day's, your soap comes in a can rub on shave off out the door in 2 mins.
Same with transport 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds, Why go out and buy a car that can do 300mph you will never use it the speed limit is 70mph on a motoway. The moral is take your time relax and focus as the saying goes look good feel good and smell good and your relaxed and focused. As the post above the gent has it right and hits the nail on the head.

D6C95539-CEAC-4246-9B3C-CF54FB90934F.jpeg
Late to the party here. My SR shaves last longer than any cartridge I ever experienced. No 5 o’clock shadows. When I’m in a rush, I use a stick, a synthetic brush and a DE. That’s essentially my travel kit. So aside from the “spa time” that I thoroughly enjoy with my straights, soaps and collection of fine brushes, I get longer lasting smoother shaves.

I started 50 years ago with a Schick shavette to trim my beard. Now shave every day with a straight razor and love it. I learned to hone and strop my razors. You can go months not having to hone a razor if the bevel is set correctly and you strop without rolling the blade. If time is important, you will not get a better shave then a Mongoose SE with either Feather of Kai blades. Very close to a straight razor shave in comfort and closeness.

Perhaps it is YMMV, perhaps it is technique... I don't know.

What I do know is even with my wirey hairs, a straight gives me BBS is every direction with no irritation. Plus it stays BBS for soooo much longer, without those dang bumps and ingrowns.

I suspect the main reason why straights stopped being used is marketing... safety razors came along and they were modern. Who wants to be old fasioned (look at some of those vintage Gillette ads)? Then DE's etc became old fasioned... enough time moves on that fathers didn't teach their sons how to shave with them as they didn't use it themselves.
I agree BBS lasts longer with a straight razor dont know why,it does not seem as close at the time of the shave ,,i but 3 hours later a super smooth skin,lasts pretty much 2 days.Somebody should be able to explain why,i think it does something to the skin,quote from Silence Of The \Lambs.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A straight razor can indeed give a shave better than a DE but it requires two things. First, an extremely sharp razor. There is sharp, and there is sharp. Most honers do not care to create an edge that rivals or surpasses that of a DE blade, and most do not know how, or have the tools to do it, anyway. Second, it requires experience and skill at the actual shave.

You have to crawl before you can walk. In the beginning, you just have to settle for no cuts or irritation, and work on closeness later.

For me it’s two things. I started because I didn’t want to be part of the “throw away” culture. Then I found that I enjoyed the process.

I’m a month in and if I need a close shave I go DE. My SR shaves are a little rough but even after a month they are improving. Like others have said, just give it time.

I've never shaved with a cart, so I can't compare, although I shaved with a DE or SE for over 50 years before taking up straights about seven years ago. I don't care which will give the closest shave. If using a Feather blade in an SE gives a closer shave it's immaterial, as the shave from a straight is close enough. I love the tradition, the entire process, a sense of accomplishment, and the zen or almost meditative moment that I get from using a straight. I'm almost "joyful" after a great shave with a straight, not the feeling of a chore that was done after using a DE.

I have been primarily a straight shaver just over a year. I have 115 shavette shaves and 124 traditional straight shaves for a total of 239 open blade shaves. I still shave with DE razors as well. I get a BBS with all three razor types, but the straight and shavette shaves last longer. I can go up to 36 hours between shaves using a straight or a shavette. I like shaving with open blade razors because it is nostalgic, and it helps with my eye/hand coordination. To anyone thinking of going to straights, you have to go into it with a great commitment to master the skill of using one.

A straight razor can indeed give a shave better than a DE but it requires two things. First, an extremely sharp razor. There is sharp, and there is sharp. Most honers do not care to create an edge that rivals or surpasses that of a DE blade, and most do not know how, or have the tools to do it, anyway. Second, it requires experience and skill at the actual shave.

You have to crawl before you can walk. In the beginning, you just have to settle for no cuts or irritation, and work on closeness later.

Who hones your razors? I very much doubt you can get a straight sharper than a DE blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who hones your razors? I very much doubt you can get a straight sharper than a DE blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hone my own straights and get sharper and more comfortable shaves than DE shaves.
A straight razor edge has a lower bevel angle than a DE blade for the most part, so sharper is a given, the rest is a precision bevel and a refined edge. Is it so hard to believe that you can get something sharper and more comfortable than something mass produced?

Btw, you are asking slash McCoy, the person behind "the method" of honing razors.

Top Bottom