What's new

Doubling up on razors.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't shave with straight razors but felt a little left out on the whole 7 day set idea.
So I bought 7 of my favorite safety razor, the Gillette 48-49 Aristocrat.
I could arrange a lovely Mahogany case for your set. You could also get each razor engraved with the day of the week. 😁

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just buy what ever takes my fancy. I stopped counting at 275. I would have to have over 50 techs and multiples of each. I don’t have a Hybrid Tech though. If I see a Tech in the wild it comes home.

Just wondering what razors you have bought in multiples and your reasoning behind as I often see many folks buying the same razor twice or more to keep in stock. Just wondering what drives your decision-making!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The thought was that I had found a razor
which I liked much more than any others,
so I wanted more like that one.

I bought a Boker Red Injun 102 which I don't think
is ever going to leave my regular rotation.
I liked it much better than most of my other razors.
I wanted another one.

I bought another one which is OK but I really
don't like it nearly as much.

I think the first one had been less used by the time I got it.
Even though I had to grind a nick out of it,
the first one still had a little more steel left on it.
The second one only appears more worn upon close inspection
and is not a bad razor, but the first one has always been
one of my top four razors, and the second one isn't.

Last edited:
I do not have any exact duplicates, but I do have two pairs of near duplicates.

a. I have a EJ DE89 and I have a Muhle R89 Grande. The head design is identical, but the handles are different.

b. I have Van der Hagen (Weishi) TTO with a short handle and another with a long handle. The heads are identical.

If find that having two razors with identical heads is ideal for comparing different razor blades to see which works best for my beard and face. I will load a different blade in each razor and shave opposite sides of my face. Having different handles helps me keep the razors straight. Having identical heads means the difference in shave performance will be primarily due to the different blade characteristics.

Great idea! So what’s your favorite day of the week now?
Everyday is my favorite day to shave!

I could arrange a lovely Mahogany case for your set. You could also get each razor engraved with the day of the week. 😁
Sound tempting, but might be a bit too fancy for my taste and don't have the energy to or find to remodel my master bathroom to match it.
For now they look quite nice hanging out with their 107 other brothers and sisters on my barber pole stand.

Everyday is my favorite day to shave!

Sound tempting, but might be a bit too fancy for my taste and don't have the energy to or find to remodel my master bathroom to match it.
For now they look quite nice hanging out with their 107 other brothers and sisters on my barber pole stand.
Barber pole stand. That sounds very interesting. Would you mind sharing a photo?

I own two copies of the 34c and the Progress because they are my favorite razors and are made of Zamac. I'm glad I do, since I am participating in various sabbaticals and restraints and the latest news about Dovo/Merkur would definitely put me out.

I also also bought the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition despite owning a regular Piccolo because I wanted to test the Gentile base plate. It was cheaper than buying the regular Gentile.

Barber pole stand. That sounds very interesting. Would you mind sharing a photo?

Sure thing, here it is.
20200120_104620.jpg

Just wondering what razors you have bought in multiples and your reasoning behind as I often see many folks buying the same razor twice or more to keep in stock. Just wondering what drives your decision-making!

So you or anyone else doesn't have it. I have 40 examples of one razor, probably 20 mint Schick injector type L's.

As you will find with some of my guns and razors alike, two is one and one is none.

I have made purchases on eBay to buy lots of vintage razors, this has yielded multiples of the same razors. Some were purchased to compare shave qualities and conditions before selling or gifting. Others I have specifically kept for the purpose of have a duplicate should one get lost or damaged.

duplicates I will keep:
Fat handle tech - cool factor
Ball end tech - cool factor
Black beauty long - in rotation
Black beauty short - in rotation
Gem Gbar - cool factor
Gem bullet tip - cool factor

Makes sense with the old Gillette’s...

Here in the U.K. (West London) The Old Gillette Factory is used as film studios...

I wish we had the old Gillette’s you guys in the states do. I’d buy multiples (birth year)

Stay smooth...

I bought a fatboy and see no need for another razor ever.

I did buy though a second beat up fatboy for no money on the bay,
it had every issue a fatboy can have: loose knob, handle dropping, uneven blade gap,
dial stuck, no paint numbers,..etc.
I love fixing things so i fixed all the issues and now know a lot about my razor.
Good to have a backup that i can play around with (still try to strip all the chrome that is left)

I don't own multiples. I own 4 and use 2 razors. 1 for body 1 for face. But I would if I found out that my current razor is going out of production, just in case if I destroy or loose it.

Altough my razors could be indestructible. First is EJ DE89 that already survived multiple sink and floor tile drops. Only thing is a dent in handle. Purely cosmetic, don't care for it.
Second is Rockwell 6S. Dropped it once, sound it made on impact got me scared I cracked brand new sink.

Top Bottom