What's new

Double Straight Razor...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is currently offered on eBay. I thought it just about the strangest thing every.

proxy.php

It's not mine. I'm not selling it. I don't know the seller. I have no interest in anyone buying this or not buying it. I don't want it myself. I don't know if it's a good razor or anything else.

upload_2019-3-29_15-12-10.jpeg

It's just something I find weird and thought you might get a kick out of. South of the Border (by the way) is weird, too, but not worth stopping. Definitely don't try to eat there.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That's a camping razor. The two blades means that you'll have a sharp edge available even if you aren't able to strop. At least for a week or two.

That's a camping razor. The two blades means that you'll have a sharp edge available even if you aren't able to strop. At least for a week or two.

As usual the master knows lol!
So glad we have people like you around when we're completely stumped lol!

The answer seems to make sense but I kinda don’t think so. If you really need to shave while roughing it ( let the beard grow a bit?) a belt could easily be pressed into service as a strop. But besides this the majority of these are generally made to show off skills.

Why take hand painted, etched , ivory pieces on a camping trip? Doesn’t make sense. The history of these seems to indicate they were made in France by English prisoners . Many did a variety of things to make some money.
Mine is from the line of Marquis de Goulaine. ( up to 9 now) still living in the castle begun in the year 970. It’s the oldest continuous family business in Europe over 1000 yrs now.

And if you look at the collection in France they don’t appear to be made as camping supplies.

I believe that we both can be right. The following is quoted from a post I made Juli 18 2018 in the SOTD thread:

(...) The butterfly E.A. Berg razor was made in the late 1890's. It was called "Tourist knife", not to butcher tourists with, but to use while travelling. The double edge meant that you didn't have to bring a strop. One set of scales was to function as the razors spine while shaving. I have attached a picture from the 1896 years catalog with my translations below
The razors depicted with both edges shown.
Razor with double edges. Etched steel scales. (So called Tourist knife)
Razor, here with one of the edges shown, as it is used when shaving.
berg turistknif.jpeg

Last edited:
Touring / traveling ok ? But I guess it was the term camping that threw me off.
Why the French /English did them is curious but if one company markets a double edge vs double blade as a travel razor then that’s their marketing gimmick.
Kinda sorta the same thing but one blade / 2 edges is more manageable /compact than two actual blades I’d say.
Lots of oddities over time. I have a collection full!

Touring / traveling ok ? But I guess it was the term camping that threw me off.
Why the French /English did them is curious but if one company markets a double edge vs double blade as a travel razor then that’s their marketing gimmick.
Kinda sorta the same thing but one blade / 2 edges is more manageable /compact than two actual blades I’d say.
Lots of oddities over time. I have a collection full!
Mark you need to post up those odd balls.

Top Bottom