What's new

Double Ring serial number

No pics because my camera just can't handle macro its a cheapie.

I recently got a Gillette Double Ring and have been trying to research it a little more. The handle says PAT APL'D FOR and there is a serial number on the inner tube. The Krumholtz guide then lead me to believe that the serial number can be no higher than 25,424.

The thing is that my serial number is clearly 6 digits long but the first 2 are nearly worn off. It goes ??4567 only the upper most portion of the first 2 digits digits remains but they must be either 2's or 3's going off of what is legible. Now if the second spot was a 2 then the number ?24567 would fit within the parameters of the serial numbers Krumholtz provides but it would not explain the mysterious extra marking at the start of the serial number.

Anyone know what I have encountered?

No pics because my camera just can't handle macro its a cheapie.

I recently got a Gillette Double Ring and have been trying to research it a little more. The handle says PAT APL'D FOR and there is a serial number on the inner tube. The Krumholtz guide then lead me to believe that the serial number can be no higher than 25,424.

The thing is that my serial number is clearly 6 digits long but the first 2 are nearly worn off. It goes ??4567 only the upper most portion of the first 2 digits digits remains but they must be either 2's or 3's going off of what is legible. Now if the second spot was a 2 then the number ?24567 would fit within the parameters of the serial numbers Krumholtz provides but it would not explain the mysterious extra marking at the start of the serial number.

Anyone know what I have encountered?

Don't worry about trying to macro with your camera. As long as it can zoom you can still get a decent shot. Back away and zoom in all the way and then slowly approach while continually focusing until you reach the closest point where optimal focus can be reached. That should be good enough for identification purposes.

After approx 50 tries this is the best I could do but it does show the markings that I think are the top sections of the numbers 2 or 3, I guess they could also possibly be from a letter but serial codes don't contain letters do they?

In the picture you can see the 4, 6 and 7 and in between them is a 5. But just before the 4 there are 2 worn markings.

I will try again on the weekend when I can take photos during daylight. Can't do it at work, no cameras allowed in the building.

It didn't work, but the paper itself did make it a little clearer to read, now I think it might be a 'B' would B24567 make any sense at all?

Could it possibly be a "P" with the second character being a "C"? "PC" prefixed serial numbers keep popping up of Canadian made Gillettes.

Its definitely a 2 or 3, it curves back inwards it doesn't cut off at the top of the curve like a C.

I'll see if I can borrow a better camera, but none of my friends are really avid photographers I only bought a camera in the first place for razor pics.

Its definitely a 2 or 3, it curves back inwards it doesn't cut off at the top of the curve like a C.

I'll see if I can borrow a better camera, but none of my friends are really avid photographers I only bought a camera in the first place for razor pics.

I am beginning to agree with the earlier idea that you may have a mismatched razor. The serial number you are describing cannot have been associated with a PAT APL'D FOR double ring.

As an amateur collector of these fine old Gillettes, I am struck by how rare they are. At any one time there are 1-3 toggles on the bay and at least a handful of single rings. But the elusive double ring? I managed to find one in a lot of 12 razors on the Bay but I think I have seen only one or two since then.

After an hour spent reading tips on photographing coins, a better result from the same camera (This is cropped from a larger image and zoomed in quite a lot).

I'm now leaning towards a mismatched piece that says 324567. A pity the two and three aren't around the other way, a sequential serial number would be cool. But the razor is still from 1904 due to the PAT APL'D FOR marking right?

After an hour spent reading tips on photographing coins, a better result from the same camera (This is cropped from a larger image and zoomed in quite a lot).

I'm now leaning towards a mismatched piece that says 324567. A pity the two and three aren't around the other way, a sequential serial number would be cool. But the razor is still from 1904 due to the PAT APL'D FOR marking right?

Yup. The handle proper and its base plate are for sure. I can't guarantee the cap is though. Who ever switched out the inner barrel could have easily used the match cap.

Top Bottom