What's new

Double Ring Question "PAT.AP.FOR"

Question for anyone with a theory or facts concerning the few Gillette Double Ring razors I have seen stamped "PAT.AP.FOR" rather than "PAT.APL'D.FOR". Are the PAT.AP.FOR the earliest examples of the Double Ring? If so what years were these produced?

Somewhere on B & B is a thread about this.
I seem to recall that the PAT. AP. For is the earlier, and was
used in the white boxed Double Rings, before the litho tins.....

Cheers,
Kevin

That would probably be right. According to Krumholz the first 25,424 razor sets produced that were serial numbered were marked "PAT. APP'. FOR.

Great score! :thumbup1:
Pat Applied For

In 1903 Gillette made 51 razor sets and 14 packs of 12 blades (168 blades). Razors made before November 5th 1904 had marks " Pat. App. For " Gillette estimates that 55 thousand were not serially marked. Mid 1904 the number sequence began with #1 and ended at # 25,424. The patents were issued and with razor #25,425 the marks read " Pat. Nov. 5, 1904"...Gillette continued making the razor til 1904, last #45,424.

Krumholtz book/p124 and wiki
Gillette Safety Razor - Pocket Edition - circa 1903

I was looking for that, John! Great work.

Very nice, Gary. I am very envious.
It was nothing.

Another:
The first mass produced Gillettes where the Double Rings - so called because of the rings around the collar - check out the wiki.

The ones pre November 1904 have 'Pat App. For' on the barrell rather than the patent number. Serial numbering only started in 1904 so teh earliest ones had no serial number.

They can go for lots as discussed here or be a bargain find as discussed here.

Happy hunting!

I believe, these 'Pat App. For' razors are from 1903. Here is an older thread.

Double Ring.jpg

@keen one day I will get lucky and score a PAT.AP.FOR...... One day.... How many people have one of these rare birds in their collection?

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
@keen one day I will get lucky and score a PAT.AP.FOR...... One day.... How many people have one of these rare birds in their collection?
Oh I'm sorry! I was confused. I thought that other one you just got was the PAT.AP.FOR.

I can imagine it's too many, but I'm sure you will find yours!

Kindly,
Adam

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom