What's new

Double ring parade

Ok John and who is the enabler ?
I was all about joining a restraint for a few months and you had to reopen an old rabbit whole.
I have had a few of those infamous double rings slip through my fingers over the last few years.
After I finish wiping the Drool off my shoes I may have to reload the idea of tearing one away from someone.
Hum

Last edited:
The shipper came with the razor when I got it(1906) but has no numbers on the bottom, I have these others and one has numbers as seen in the picture

thanks Mike. It looks like the bottom left and top right shipper labels match my stone. So the razor is a 1906 double ring that came in the shipper on the bottom left? I assume the razor has a serial number on the barrel then but not the bottom of the shipper. My 1907 single ring also has a matching serial number on the box. Wonder when they started doing that. Cool stuff and nice double ring sets.

Here is my 1907 set.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1907 Knig Gillette Single Ring Set from Brent Adair.jpg

Like elmerwood I also have one in shipper but I don't have pictures of it on my phone. I do have pictures of my others though. The picture with the litho on top is of thegreen felt lined one. The one with the green felt and the red felt are pat apld for.

Attachments

• $FB_IMG_1425452087762.jpg
    $FB_IMG_1425452087762.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 235
  • $FB_IMG_1425452044420.jpg
    $FB_IMG_1425452044420.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 235
  • $FB_IMG_1425451981528.jpg
    $FB_IMG_1425451981528.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 235
Mike,

Is that a double ring shipper? What year set did that come with? I may have the lithographic stone that was used to make the label on your shipper. I have been trying to figure out what year my stone was from and yours looks like a match for the text and placement of certain themes. I have a 1907 shipper that is similar but not a match. Here are a few pics I took utilizing my handy US Army Khaki mirror. It's tedious but could you confirm it is a match? Much appreciated!

that´s a very interesting thing. I know the "Knig Gillette" print instead of "King Gillette" only from a 1906 and your 1907 Single Ring.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
You see many with the same cracks. I can't say whether they are more likely to split, as I've not wrecked one (knock on wood), but it's there.

This may be the most gut wrenching thread to read through. To see people with 2, 3 and 4 double rings!!!! You people are killing me. Share the wealth, brothers.

that´s a very interesting thing. I know the "Knig Gillette" print instead of "King Gillette" only from a 1906 and your 1907 Single Ring.

Looks like all of Mike's are Knig Gillette shippers. Looks like the error started appearing sometime in early? 1906 w/ a few of Mike's shippers and my matching litho stone as an example. Also appears there was a slight revision to the shipper label sometime in 1906 (bigger GSR stamp in upper right corner and a few other text details) but the error continued at least into 1907.

Here's my entry in this parade! 1905 Double Ring-
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436555201.222728.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436555222.121300.jpg

I can no longer read my serial number, but I think it is 90**2.
This is the only Gillette Double Ring I am ever likely to own. It was a once in a lifetime purchase. I wish I could get the correct blade banks for it. Anyway, have a good day men!

Here's mine, I would have never bought one but this one fell into my lap. $5 at a garage sale, came with a brush too.

1905 (109350)

$D Ring Cln.jpg

In all honesty Dalton Gang, there is little difference in the shaves. At least that I can detect. Although I have not done a side by side comparison.

In all honesty Dalton Gang, there is little difference in the shaves. At least that I can detect. Although I have not done a side by side comparison.

This^. They are basically the same. It's more about owning a little piece of the beginning of DE history. It's amazing how well they do shave and they look cool. Gillette got it correct right from the start.

This thread is killing me. I love the early Gillette most of all.

And I'm kicking myself for selling a very early Single Ring in a Coffin Box; I'll never see one of those again.

Thanks for the pictures!

Keep up these "Parade" threads Imatabor(John). The more of these threads you start, the lower the price for the other razors that I want get. Kind of a "Pied Piper" effect.

Top Bottom