What's new

Double Edged Razors

I've got email from Dovo Solingen :
''The blade - when inserted - has a little bit of give around the cut-outs along the center for easier loading and removing. Since it is virtually impossible to hold the razor top 100 % in balance so you can center the blade perfectly, the blade will always be a little bit more exposed on one side than the other. This is normal and will happen to basically every safety razor.

If you feel that one side is more agressive than the other, try loading the razor with the blade tipping it towards the less agressive side while closing it, so the more agressive side should become less so''.

Is this true ?

Ik would say, in theory yes. You would want the posts slightly smaller tot be able to insert the blades, without having tot press down. But I believe that the tolerances can be very small, and the act of tightening should center the blade as wel.... Dovo's answer sounds a bit lame.

My personal experience is that Dovo claim is not true accross the board -- blade pretty much automatically self centers on my several Edwin Jagger DE 89 heads, my Timeless Stainless, Titanium, and Brass razors, my 2 Rockwells, my Charcoal Goods levels 2 and 3, Feather AS D2, even my vintage Gillette Slims, Fatboy, Superspeeds, Techs -- all of them self-center the blade after tightening down. Razors that don't self center like my Progress ( old version) Futur Fatip and Schone - I now use less often because they require the additional step fiddling around with the blade. Those 'loose' razors seem more carelessly made, with poor quality control, and cheaper manufacturing process. To me all that implies contempt for the shaver. Yes, after I fiddle around I can get a good shave from those razors, but there are plenty of old and new razors that give great shaves and are also made with pride in the product and respect for the user. FWIW my Merkur 34C self centers just fine.

From my experience, all my vintage razors self center. I use one side for one side of my face and the other side for the other side of my face. I have never noticed a difference.

Tom

I need to double check my DE89 with a different blade. The first ever blade in it, there appeared to be a slight (very slight) bit of exposure difference. The difference was so minuscule I chalked it up to how light played off the blade.

My 34c centers perfect every time. Put the top cap on the table, drop the blade on that, then the handle. Tighten the handle with the razor verticle and the top cap resting on the table.

Something similar to this happened on my WCS razor, and they replaced the head for free. The new one lines up just fine.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
This is normal and will happen to basically every safety razor.

Welcome to the forum!

I would say its normal for any safety razor that has alignment pins such as Fatip and the Gillette Old Types.

IMG_2200.jpg

Less so for other designs like the Gillette NEW series razors that have a different system for alignment.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1468.JPG

My Gillette NEW razors have never needed any blade adjustment. My Old Types and Fatip Grande rarely do but sometimes can.

Put the top cap on the table, drop the blade on that, then the handle. Tighten the handle with the razor verticle and the top cap resting on the table.

Follow that same procedure with any razor that has alignment pins, even Fatip, and 9 times out of 10 no adjustment is needed.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have never had this happen to me with any of my razors .
They all seem to line up perfect on their own .

Top Bottom