What's new

Double-edge razors really ARE better than cartridge razors.

I think the main selling point with the general public is convince and simplicity.

Quite the slight of hand making DE razors disappear from the shelves of the retail stores everywhere.
The same selling points of convenience and simplicity and sleight of hand that the Kampfe Brothers, King Gillette, Colonel Schick and others used to make straight razors disappear 100 years ago.

The main selling point those companies marketing departments all used was that their safety razor was faster, safer and easier to use than the straight razor, and better than the competitions product. Absolutely nothing has changed in the last 120 years.

Human nature certainly hasn't changed much, especially in such a short period of time like 120 years. That's remained pretty well constant for thousands of years, or maybe more. However, the differences in available products certainly have changed over 120 years. I don't think anyone would disagree that the differences in skill level, necessary refinement of technique, time, and effort between a straight razor and a disposable blade safety razor are much larger than those same differences between something like a DE or SE razor and a cartridge razor. The change from having to sharpen and maintain your own edges to buying a replaceable blade were huge and represented genuine improvements for most shavers. However, the differences between a DE and a cartridge razor are extremely small, in comparison. Although there's some technique required with a DE razor, that technique is very easily acquired and refined. I would certainly argue that if there's a manipulation of consumers that's taken place, which is indicated by the sleight of hand comment, it's certainly been a much larger manipulation with the advent of cartridge razors. The change from straight razors to a disposable blade razor would be considered more like persuasion than manipulation. With persuasion, the consumer and the seller both win. With manipulation, there's a losing side.

Based on my experience, a DE or SE razor is better than a cartridge razor. The ability to try so many different combinations of razor and blade have meant that I've been able to find a combination that works really well for my face and skin. Better than any cartridge razor I've ever tried. I should note that my favorites are not made by Gillette or Schick. Apparently, my face would be considered an outlier in each of their focus groups that they use to create their designs. Not to mention that the refinement in my technique has meant that I've been able to use the adjustability that's built into a DE or SE razor to get a better shave. By adjustability, I'm not talking about an adjustable razor. I'm talking about the ability to change the angle of the razor blade on my face. That's not possible with a pivoting head cartridge razor. That angle makes some refinement of technique necessary, but it also means that there's the possibility for an improvement in the shave. Especially for faces and whiskers that aren't typical or average and would be considered outliers when various razor designs are evaluated during their development.

I don't think anyone would disagree that the differences in skill level, necessary refinement of technique, time, and effort between a straight razor and a disposable blade safety razor are much larger than those same differences between something like a DE or SE razor and a cartridge razor... However, the differences between a DE and a cartridge razor are extremely small, in comparison.

Exactly! Plus, if this was only about cartridge razors, the Trac II has been around since 1971, which is now more than a half century.

This isn't about progress and a truly superior product, it is about extracting more money from consumer's. I never cut myself with a Trac II.

A century ago, when something broke, you repaired it. In today's disposable culture, you throw it away and buy another.

That's not possible with a pivoting head cartridge razor.

That was key dislike for me moving to the Mach III over the Trac II. I prefer to make the decisions on the shaving angle. Same goes for the lubrication strip that has been thrust upon us.

I only went to the Mach III because they discontinued the Trac II. It is only due to the refusal of Gillette to allow their authorized DE blades to be sold in the US that forced people here to buy cartridges, due to lack of choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom