What's new

Double Edge Razor for a beginner

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing a double edge razor. I haven't used one before so I was wondering if you guys can suggest or tell me which one would be a good option (don't want something too expensive since I am student lol). Also can you guys tell me which blades are good? I haven't used shaving soap or shaving cream before so if anyone can also tell me which brand is good and which kind of shaving brush I should buy I would appreciate it a lot. Thank you for all your help.

Gillette tech could be an affordable route to take, till you get the hang of it.
Brush maybe a cheap synthetic just to get the ball rolling.

Go to the bay and find a set that includes everything. Once you start enjoying it, you'll be buying better stuff soon enough!

Well see I don't mind paying for a good brush and double edge razor but I just don't want something that would be too expensive. Something with in a $60 to $80 for both the brush and razor would be decent. Where could I find a gillette tech from

Personally I say just get the Fatboy. fully adjustable, and if you don't liek they hold their value for resale.

I used a Merker HD. It's pretty much equivalent to the ej89 and tech. You can't go wrong with any of the three.

As for vendors, check the vendor section for recommendations. Anyone on this site is good. Some places I have used and have had excellent experiences with:
Bullgoose (Phil has exceptional customer service)
West Coast Shaving
Lee's Razors
QED

The list is not exhaustive, just vendors I have used and received excellent service from.

Has anyone used Fendrihan to order anything before

I've bought stuff from them on several occasions. Actually, I bought from them my first modern razor about three months ago - Merkur HD 34C. I haven't had any negative surprises with them. They ship promptly and provide tracking numbers. I don't know how you'd justify the shipping costs in comparison with other on-line stores. They require certain minimum spending to qualify for free shipping to Canadian and US addresses. If you live in Canada, don't forget the 13% additional HST taxes applied to Canadina orders. But you can ask them if you have questions. They respond quickly within hours usually.

I like the recommendation for the Merkur HD. For many it could be the first and last razor one would need to get. I also like the Muhle R106/107 as a first choice. Vintage razors aren't a bad idea either, but it's nice knowing that by picking up one of the modern makes of razors that you have a company you can throw it at if you aren't satisfied with the product.

After you make that decision on the razor handle, get a sample pack.

I haven't used Fendrihan for anything. So nothing to add there.

I would say a 60s or 70s gillette adjustable to start. Find a range you like then you can find a nonadjustable that matches it.

If you have a target local to you they actually have some good starter brushes for the cheap.

Blades you best getting a sample pack and find out what you like.

You ask 100 men about supplies you will get 100 correct answers. The problem is there is a chance none are correct for you.

Edwin jagger 89 series razor, and a semouge 1305 boar brush. Both great products at a great price. Well within your budget too! For a soap, go to rite aid, walgreens etc and find the vanderhagen shave soap. Its a wonderful soap, cheap.

I'd go with a Gillette Tech off eBay for under $15 and a Semogue brush from VintageScent.com for under $30. As for soaps, um, there's too many to choose from. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

IMO- not a bad brush for the price. But, there are many members who restore old brushes by taking the handles and replacing the knots with new ones. A nice one can usually be had for just a few dollars more than the Vulfix and the knots are better. As to razor many members start with a Gillette Tech that or a Gillette Superspeed (SS). They can be had for about $10-12 dollars. I would suggest you post in the WTB- Want To Buy area of the Buy/Sell/Trade forum that you want a starter kit with a restored brush and a razor. You will likely get some very nice offers, higher quality, and probably less money than buying new. I would not be surprised, if you made out very well as a newbie and a student. Our members are always interested in helping new guys get started. Good luck to you on your shaving journey!

So I decided to go with the EJ89L and the Vulfix brush. I bought those from Fendrihan and also bought some sample blades and a shaving soap. Thank you everyone for all you help I appreciate it

Top Bottom