What's new

double edge, double longevity?

This might sound like a stupid question but oh well! Anyone have a good way to "mark" the razor so that one can tell the difference between the edges? In other words, I'd like to use one side of the double edge until it's not sharp enough to use anymore, then move to the other side so I get maximum use from the blade. I will be using a Merkur HD that I'm about to put my order in for..
Thanks!

Just keep rotating the razor during use and you wont have to keep the two sides straight. Personally, I rotate it every time I rinse.

seems like it would work, but when I go to rinse or set it down for whatever reason, I might turn it without even realizing it

letterk said:
Doesn't matter. You don't have to be fanatical about it.
I was when I first started. I would try to use only one side for 3 shaves and then switch. I'm sure you can imagine my frustration. I've since gone to changing sides on each rinse. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, but for whatever reason it really makes my OCD shine through.:biggrin:

I learned the hard way that OCD and wet shaving don't mix very well. I obsessed (I'm talking sleepless nights here) over what side of the razor I was using, I even went so far as to change blades and start with a fresh one if I forgot what side I should be using. Honestly, it really isn't important and once you can identify with that you should be OK, as a man who washes his hands over 150 times a day you can hopefully understand just how bad my OCD is, and things like this worsen the problem and take the enjoyment out of shaving, which defeats the whole purpose of proper DE shaving in the first place. Now I switch the side after each stroke and rinse when I have used either side. It's simple and easy, and more importantly you don't have to worry about using one side more than the other.

Personally I switch sides each stroke. One side per rinse is fun and good... but I am about efficiency here - so I take a stroke, flip it, stroke, rinse. Less rinsing means more time I can afford to spend making/applying/enjoying the scent of the lather! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

joel said:
Personally I switch sides each stroke. One side per rinse is fun and good... but I am about efficiency here - so I take a stroke, flip it, stroke, rinse. Less rinsing means more time I can afford to spend making/applying/enjoying the scent of the lather! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Yes, realistically this is a better description of what I actually do.

I tend to shave one side of my face with one side of the razor and then flip for the other side. I do this on each pass and it should keep everything even.

I switch sides with almost all strokes then rinse, sometimes I rinse between flips. There's absolutely no logic to it at all!

haha, well it wasn't such a stupid question after all since it appears that everyone for the most part wants to keep it even.. I guess it's true that the blades are cheap as heck, especially in bulk. If I buy one of the 100 packs, and use each edge for 3 shaves, then that's 600 shaves, I like thinking of it that way instead =)

Top Bottom