What's new

Dos and don'ts of Barbicide

Anyone who lives in the U.S. and has been to a barber has probably seen the blue jars of Barbicide.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:

"Barbicide is a disinfectant solution used by barbers and cosmetologists for disinfecting grooming tools such as combs and hair-cutting shears. Manufactured by King Research, it was invented in 1947 by Maurice King and marketed heavily around the United States by his brother James.[1]

Barbicide is a United States Environmental Protection Agency–approved combination germicide, pseudomonacide, fungicide, and a viricide effective against HIV-1, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C. Its active ingredient is alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (5.12% by volume); sodium nitrite and blue dye are also present.[2]

Barbicide is sold as a concentrate diluted for use in a ratio of 2 oz. of Barbicide concentrate mixed into 32 oz. of water,[3] with each stylist having a container for treating their own tools.

Company technicians make (unverified) claims it is the only such disinfectant to hold its power and colour over time, maintaining competitors' products eventually turn green or brown.[1]

At one time, several US states legally required barber shops to use Barbicide; according to the maker two still did in 1997.[1] A jar of Barbicide sits on display in the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History.[1]"

I, for one, am darned happy to see it in use at a barbershop, as I do not want to be exposed to bugs from other customers. However, I see it is not legally required in all U.S. states. I wonder how common it actually is in the U.S., as well as other countries? Are there alternatives used in other countries?

We also see Barbicide use by people selling used razors, and some consumers at home. However, I have seen mixed advice on what materials Barbicide can be used on safely and effectively. What do you know?

What gear can you use Barbicide on: Combs, hair brushes, shaving brushes, scissors, razors, razor blades, etc.?

How long should the item be immersed?

Any other instructions on use?

What can and cannot Barbicide kill, particularly head lice?

Are there alternatives or supplements to Barbicide?

Is it actually useful for shaving gear that is being sold, when it won't be used for a week or more? Or does it do more harm than good?

How did Barbicide get its name?

One thing Barbicide is not practical for is sterilizing shaving brushes between customers. Hence, the commercial hot shaving mousse dispensers in barbershops. However, in some foreign countries, shaving brushes are still used, and used on multiple customers through the day. I wonder how safe that is? Would you get a shave from a barber who uses the same brush on everyone all day?

Your insights and expertise, please.

-=-

BTW, I had previously looked up the proper spelling of "dos and don'ts."

This is the preferred form, though some alternatives are used. Also, Barbicide is a trademark, and therefore is a proper noun that should be capitalized, like Velcro.

Last edited:
When I was arbitraging the used razor market on ebay, I used Barbicide as the last step in the cleanup process. I never had any issues with it harming a razor.

I've been using Mar-V-Cide since the 60's. It has double the concentration of disinfectant and costs the same, so in proper dilution it costs 50% less than Barbicide.
barbb.JPG
barb.JPG

Thanks for posting photos of the labels, malocchio.

Both Barbicide and Mar-V-Cide say they are rustproof, apparently because they contain sodium nitrite, which is not listed as an active ingredient on the Barbicide.

I wonder if the original Barbicide formula was changed, to make it safe to use on metal?

Last edited:
These are both good product. My Sally's Beauty supply store rep recommended the Ship Shape cleaner, which I use on my two brushes. However, very hot water, and / or rubbing alcohol cleans my razors and blades.

Barbicide and Ship-Shape are both kept near my den.
I'll use Barbicide if/when cleaning used items.
The Ship-Shape gets used regularly to clean the various hair brushes around the bath.

And, yes, I've had a great shave from a traditional Italian barber with a standard boar brush, non è un problema!

barbicide.jpg

genoa 2019 L-1000847x.jpg

I have seen horror photos of someone soaking their anodized handled Super 109 overnight in Barbicide. I use it very sparingly and rarely. A quick dip is sufficient since all my stuff is for me.

Top Bottom