What's new

dorco vs gillette

I get a 1 pass BBS with a gem 1912 often, it requires 2 sometimes,

Yep, as always, YMMV. Some people get better shaves with cartridges, some don’t. There are no absolutes.

I happen to prefer (and get better shaves with) cartridges, so I’m glad there is a section on this site for modern shaving systems.

I also prefer using a brush and soap/cream over the canned stuff. I don’t necessarily find it any better, I just have a preference for building lather with a brush (and more selection with regard to scents).

FWIW I tried the Dorco carts several years ago, they seemed dull and did not cut close.
The closest cart shaves I get are with a Flexball Power handle with a Proglide power cart, the regular proglide and proshield are not as close, I get just as close with a Sensor handle and Gilette Excel cart.
For me nothing shaves as close as my most aggressive DE's with a Feather, CG Level 3, Ikon Tech, Futur on Six.
The carts are pretty much irritation, nick free and quick, but the DE's easily irritate and nick unless I pay attention and take my time.

You’re right. I guess I’m just imagining it when my Shick hydro gives me just as good a bbs shave in 2 passes as I get with 3 passes from a DE.
Your guessing right or your technique is flawed or your using the wrong razor or blades.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've reached BBS with SE, DE and Carts. No one is "better" than the other for me. I'm not one bothered by multiple blades, so carts are just fine on my face.

But like most things in shaving this is a YMMV thing depending on your shaving prep, technique and individual skin and beard.

I think it shows off one's ignorance to make statements about superiority of any one of these methods as if your personal experience is the end all be all final judgement on what works and what doesn't.

That's bs I tried the Gillette fusión, pro glide, pro shield, shick hydro, electric razors. They don't give close shaves like double edge or single edge razors. I don't mean to be rude but that's like saying iPhones are just as good as android phones, they are not. If carts and those expensive electric gave me close shaves I would never had switched to de razors.

I'd say about 50% of the phone-using world would have a different opinion, with some very good, objective reasons, and I use an android phone. Admirable to have strong opinions, even in the absence of facts. It seems to be the trend.

I've reached BBS with SE, DE and Carts. No one is "better" than the other for me. I'm not one bothered by multiple blades, so carts are just fine on my face.

But like most things in shaving this is a YMMV thing depending on your shaving prep, technique and individual skin and beard.

I think it shows off one's ignorance to make statements about superiority of any one of these methods as if your personal experience is the end all be all final judgement on what works and what doesn't.

This.

I'd say about 50% of the phone-using world would have a different opinion, with some very good, objective reasons, and I use an android phone. Admirable to have strong opinions, even in the absence of facts. It seems to be the trend.

This.
Yes and those 50 percent of cellphone users would be incorrect. Opinions have no basis in fact as clearly from a technical and user standpoint android phones are far superior than any Apple phone. Just because they might disagree doesn't mean they are still wrong and as I said before they have no objective reasons except because they don't bother to think for themselves or maybe the only positive thing iPhones had was a better camera but not anymore. I honestly don't care if people use broken glass bottles to shave or butcher knives. It's when they spew ignorant woefully wrong opinions is when I call bs. Ymmv can only take you so far when preferences and opinions are obviously in the wrong. One thing is saying I hate the smell of arko because it smells like an urinal scent Puck and another thing is saying carts shave better.

Yes and those 50 percent of cellphone users would be incorrect. Opinions have no basis in fact as clearly from a technical and user standpoint android phones are far superior than any Apple phone. Just because they might disagree doesn't mean they are still wrong and as I said before they have no objective reasons except because they don't bother to think for themselves or maybe the only positive thing iPhones had was a better camera but not anymore. I honestly don't care if people use broken glass bottles to shave or butcher knives. It's when they spew ignorant woefully wrong opinions is when I call bs. Ymmv can only take you so far when preferences and opinions are obviously in the wrong. One thing is saying I hate the smell of arko because it smells like an urinal scent Puck and another thing is saying carts shave better.

Yes, indeedy. It's good to have a Zen Master among us, with configurable skin and beard, who has tried every product and device, with the technical expertise and depth of knowledge on just about any topic, who can show us the light so we don't stray from the true path, which you alone have discovered. We therefore need not waste our time in our own discovery and truth. You have it. You are my hero.

Last edited:
let me just say my opinion after coming of carts a month ago after 30years on them I found them getting beyond expensive also if the carts where so good why do they have to keep coming up with new idea's for them ie lubrastrip 2 blade 3 blade 5 blade and so on where as your de has had the same shape double edge blade idea for well since mosses shaved his beard . not only that I found that because the big names changed there head layout so often that the older ones seemed to be less effective think it was on purpose so you where tricked into buying the newest thing on the market.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
[QUOTE="lurchbrian, post: 10183412,also if the carts where so good why do they have to keep coming up with new idea's for them ie lubrastrip 2 blade 3 blade 5 blade and so on where as your de has had the same shape double edge blade idea for well since mosses shaved his beard . [/QUOTE]

Largely fot the same reason that Gillette ans competitors made many different DE razors over the years. Some improvements no doubt but a lot was marketing and tring to appear to the customers that you offered "new and improved". The razors changed but the marketing machine marched on. And tell me carts, at least up to two blades, costs aside weren't an improvement. Slimmer more navigable head, safer than a DE. It wasn't all marketing that made them change. As much as some like to think we could have stopped with any changes to razors after WW2 and been better off I think the masses outside of this forum would call BS. Big Shave's brainwashing is not that effective.

Give yourself a couple months of learning proper technique the pull out a cart and see if it isn't better than you remember, cost aside.

[QUOTE="lurchbrian, post: 10183412,also if the carts where so good why do they have to keep coming up with new idea's for them ie lubrastrip 2 blade 3 blade 5 blade and so on where as your de has had the same shape double edge blade idea for well since mosses shaved his beard .

Largely fot the same reason that Gillette ans competitors made many different DE razors over the years. Some improvements no doubt but a lot was marketing and tring to appear to the customers that you offered "new and improved". The razors changed but the marketing machine marched on. And tell me carts, at least up to two blades, costs aside weren't an improvement. Slimmer more navigable head, safer than a DE. It wasn't all marketing that made them change. As much as some like to think we could have stopped with any changes to razors after WW2 and been better off I think the masses outside of this forum would call BS. Big Shave's brainwashing is not that effective.

Give yourself a couple months of learning proper technique the pull out a cart and see if it isn't better than you remember, cost aside.[/QUOTE]I actually have used carts when traveling and using soaps creams and preshave they still are trash fusion pro glide Schick hydro etc even the two blade disposable ones. They still are cheap and horrible cost aside. Your point is frankly baseless the only positive thing a cart has its faster and less of a chance to nick you tho I have before because of their inefficient cutting. Electric shavers are leagues above cats and de or se are on top. This is a pointless debate of having comparisons with carts to de or se because it's like having a debate if global warming is real not because facts are global warming is happening or has been happening for at least 20-30 years. Likewise carts are leagues inferior to de or se and electric shavers.

Thank you, voice of reason @JBlaze. No grey in your world I'm afraid. How long have you been i. IT?
Ty chandu and sure there's Grey in other areas but in something cut and dry (no pun intended) as shaving it's pretty straightforward I been at it since I was 15 (30 now) so about 15 years, ten years of hell using carts, 4 years of mediocrity using electric shavers and a year of bliss using de razors. So much so that my nephew and niece switched over and are happy using them and won't go back. For me it was never about cost as I could get carts in bulk for a better price. It was the ineffective of the carts it didn't matter if it was a two blade a shick hydro or Gillette fusion pro glide, pro shield or Mach 3 or even Harry's or dollar shave club. They are horrendous. What was worse to me was the tuggung pulling and then the skin Irritation. Hell I'll take shaving with a de razor using canned goo any day then a cart with proper soap or cream. Lastly it was always too irritating it clogging up so easily and also just nasty cleaning the blades. I unfortunately have to use carts when not at home and even with the technique developed by wetshaving its a bad experience. Actually it's even a worse experience because I can compare the golf of differences between them that it's just depressing. I used to hate shaving literally but since de shaving I actually look forward to it and enjoy it.

Yes, indeedy. It's good to have a Zen Master among us, with configurable skin and beard, who has tried every product and device, with the technical expertise and depth of knowledge on just about any topic, who can show us the light so we don't stray from the true path, which you alone have discovered. We therefore need not waste our time in our own discovery and truth. You have it. You are my hero.
Even if it was a mocking compliment, in terms of phones then yes I wouldn't call myself a zen master but if you know anything about phones or pc then yes I have depth of knowledge. But in terms of phones it's plain to see even know how Apple phones are selling worse than ever and Apple is in a downward spiral. In terms of shaving im not saying don't use carts but I'm sure you enjoy putting words in people's mouths to further your ignorant statements by using unamusing sarcasm. By do go ahead if you want to use carts or a butchers cleaver to shave I really don't give a care in the world, hell some people like eating paint or chalk and that is yours or their problem respectively. But when you talk bs about carts being as good or better than a de razor then expect to be shot down because as you put it you have lack of knowledge and let zen masters school you. And yes I have used alot of carts over the years including the latest ones so your childish points are moot.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
But when you talk bs about carts being as good or better than a de razor then expect to be shot down because as you put it you have lack of knowledge and let zen masters school you. And yes I have used alot of carts over the years including the latest ones so your childish points are moot.

JBlaze, is it conceivable that two men can shave with the same razor and have different experiences?

I have obtained great DFS and even BBS shaves from DE, SE and CARTS. Does that make me an idiot savant of shaving technique, or perhaps does it say that all types of razors can deliver.

Get a Gillette Guard single blade cart if more than one blade doesn't work for you. Of the carts I do use, I prefer 3 blades or less. My favorites are Gillette Trac II and Guard, but recently got a BBS from a Bic 3 blade disposable without pivoting head.

I have shaved a fair bit longer than you have and have used most out there and I can get a great shave from any of them. Granted some are more fun to shave with than others, but to say one format or another is utterly incapable of delivering a great shave for any human in existence is a bit much and tends to invite ridicule from anyone with a slightly open mind.

I’ve been DE, SE and straight shaving for 7 years and I switched to carts last year when I started head shaving.
Because of the good prep and technique I learned my cart shaves are very good indeed!

I got superb shaves from the Muhle R41, Open Comb Micromatic, Feather Artist Club and Bengall.
Now I’m getting superb shaves from the Caliber 5, Pace 6 and Mach 3.
YMMV eh? :)

FWIW I tried the Dorco carts several years ago, they seemed dull and did not cut close.
It depends on the version. I get fine shaves with Pace 3 and Pace 6, but lousy shaves with their basic twin blade carts or disposables.

let me just say my opinion after coming of carts a month ago after 30years on them I found them getting beyond expensive also if the carts where so good why do they have to keep coming up with new idea's for them ie lubrastrip 2 blade 3 blade 5 blade and so on where as your de has had the same shape double edge blade idea for well since mosses shaved his beard . not only that I found that because the big names changed there head layout so often that the older ones seemed to be less effective think it was on purpose so you where tricked into buying the newest thing on the market.
Seriously? How many car designs are from the 70's? Do you still drive a Datsun?. They still sell GII's in Europe, and they are just as good as 40 years ago.

Last edited:
Ty chandu and sure there's Grey in other areas but in something cut and dry (no pun intended) as shaving it's pretty straightforward I been at it since I was 15 (30 now) so about 15 years, ten years of hell using carts, 4 years of mediocrity using electric shavers and a year of bliss using de razors. So much so that my nephew and niece switched over and are happy using them and won't go back. For me it was never about cost as I could get carts in bulk for a better price. It was the ineffective of the carts it didn't matter if it was a two blade a shick hydro or Gillette fusion pro glide, pro shield or Mach 3 or even Harry's or dollar shave club. They are horrendous. What was worse to me was the tuggung pulling and then the skin Irritation. Hell I'll take shaving with a de razor using canned goo any day then a cart with proper soap or cream. Lastly it was always too irritating it clogging up so easily and also just nasty cleaning the blades. I unfortunately have to use carts when not at home and even with the technique developed by wetshaving its a bad experience. Actually it's even a worse experience because I can compare the golf of differences between them that it's just depressing. I used to hate shaving literally but since de shaving I actually look forward to it and enjoy it.

I just shaved a full weeks growth in a hotel with a Caliber 5 and Harry's shave cream without any clogging. They aren't designed to do that, if you shave daily or every other day how do they clog?

Even if it was a mocking compliment, in terms of phones then yes I wouldn't call myself a zen master but if you know anything about phones or pc then yes I have depth of knowledge. But in terms of phones it's plain to see even know how Apple phones are selling worse than ever and Apple is in a downward spiral. In terms of shaving im not saying don't use carts but I'm sure you enjoy putting words in people's mouths to further your ignorant statements by using unamusing sarcasm. By do go ahead if you want to use carts or a butchers cleaver to shave I really don't give a care in the world, hell some people like eating paint or chalk and that is yours or their problem respectively. But when you talk bs about carts being as good or better than a de razor then expect to be shot down because as you put it you have lack of knowledge and let zen masters school you. And yes I have used alot of carts over the years including the latest ones so your childish points are moot.

Of course carts are the equal of DE, SE, and disposable straight shaving.

Top Bottom