What's new

Dorco Stainless blades...thoughts?

I accidentally bought 100 ST-301s while trying to buy the STP-301s. I missed the bit about the missing ‘P’. That said, I enjoy both the ST-301s and the STP-301s. I would need to do battle of the blades to know if I have a preference for one over the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I accidentally bought 100 ST-301s while trying to buy the STP-301s. I missed the bit about the missing ‘P’. That said, I enjoy both the ST-301s and the STP-301s. I would need to do battle of the blades to know if I have a preference for one over the other.

I know the STP301 Prime blades are made in a state of the art facility in Vietnam. Are the ST301 blades made there or in Korea?

Ray,

The ST301s are made in Vietnam. Here is a photo of the bottom of the box.

IMG_4481.jpg

I agree about not sure about the difference between the STP301 and ST301. Based on the Dorco product catalog - which you can download from DORCO - http://www.dorcoglobal.com/ - and the photos on Amazon, it looks to me like the STP line has a double (or premium coating) whereas the ST line has a single coating. Whatever that means :). My best guess is that the underlying blades are the same. I say that because I had trouble differentiating between the two blades. That said, I will have to try comparing them again.

I used two from a sample earlier this year (2019). Blade 1 six shave using my Mekur 1904. Blade shaves using my Van der Hagen.

Dorco ST300s are sharp and long lasting, but you need to be careful with their tabs. Haven't used one in a while because of my Super Max Bola haul.
Planning to use a Dorco ST300 with my Baili BD179 next week.

I'm considering a Dorco Prime blade because someone said it is thicker, and might work better in the Gillette old type open comb razor. If it is thicker and stiffer, this would make sense, and perhaps improve many razors. It would be a good path for a premium blade maker to take; perhaps they could buy some of the presumably Korean steel.

I downloaded the Dorco catalog, as suggested, and it is of little help: some four word bullet-points of jargon. The ST-301 were no shows. I tried ordering some, but was sent a lower grade Dorco blade that was in a nearly identical red package, also not listed in this catalog.

Even though I've got several blades I am happy with, I would consider trying some other ones, if the companies would bother to explain the differences in the blades and why I should buy them. Instead, we are presented with a bewildering array of blades with different prices and names, usually at least three or four to a brand, but sometimes more than a dozen.

Sometimes the high-priced spread is not better, as seems to be the case with Derby. But then someone touts an obscure variety, in this case Derby Usta, which sounds interesting. Still can't figure out if it is any better. And the Derby blades I tried failed so badly to live up to their hype that I am reluctant to bother with their brand again. The same disgraced reputation applies to several other brands. At least in some countries you can walk into stores and buy a tuck to try at a reasonable price. Not in America (am I missing something?). And not in Korea.

I was in Korea for a few years, and only ONCE did I see a tuck of DE blades for sale: In a disheveled 1,000 won store. They were cheap Dorco stainless blades, a few dusty tucks. And the only razor I saw for sale was one of their cheap pressed metal jobs with a black plastic handle. East Asians, such as Koreans and Chinese, rarely use DE blades; they mostly use electric razors, as they only need to shave occasionally. It's the Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, etc., who still use lots of DE blades, in part because they need to shave daily.

So it is especially ironic that Dorco introduced a six-blade cartridge, which they trumpeted as the "best in the world," while I was there. The problem was their cartridge razors were fairly dull. If you think all this is bewildering, look at the Dorco catalog's array of cartridge razors. It's a lot. And they're up to seven blades now.

The plethora of DE blades is bad enough. Trying to make sense of all the variety of incompatible cartridge razors, in stores and online -- different handles, different number of blades, and very different prices -- just gives me cold sweats.

I look at the online reviews for DE blades, and someone loves them, and another one hates them. That's one reason I've turned to B&B: for more reliable, expert opinions. I guess we're all looking for shaving nirvana. Me, I'm just trying to finally master DE shaving that stymied me when I was a kid. I think I'm getting close, ironically, with a Gillette old type, particularly a beautifully clean single ring open comb. I despised the sanguinary Gillette butterfly adjustable razor I received as a present in the 60s, and happily switched to the early cartridge razors, particularly by Wilkinson.

Perhaps true happiness is found by returning to the basics.

-- End of pet peeve rant. Sorry if I wasted your time. I feel better now. --

I found the different Dorco models to be difficult to understand and accidentally bought 100 ST-301 blades when trying to buy the Prime blades. To the best of my knowledge, the Prime blades are STP-301.

Nevertheless, the ST-301s are nice blades. PM me and I will mail you 5 ST-301 blades, @BigSpender.

I found the different Dorco models to be difficult to understand and accidentally bought 100 ST-301 blades when trying to buy the Prime blades. To the best of my knowledge, the Prime blades are STP-301.

Nevertheless, the ST-301s are nice blades. PM me and I will mail you 5 ST-301 blades, @BigSpender.

The Dorco Prime blades are made in Viet Nam, not it Korea, although Dorco is based in Korea. The Prime blades are labeled as STP-301 as opposed to the similar ST-300 and ST-301 blades. I have not used either of the Korean blades, but the Dorco Prime Platinum blades are some of my favorites.

Dorco used to have a division based in the USA. However, that division has closed. In the USA, Dorco blades are being sold primarily through Amazon, although there are other sources. The Dorco Prime Platinum STP-301 blades can be found here:

I am a Dorco fan. I like the Primes as well. I even like the dollar store Dorcos (Dollar General, Family Dollar) that are made in Vietnam.

I am a Dorco fan. I like the Primes as well. I even like the dollar store Dorcos (Dollar General, Family Dollar) that are made in Vietnam.

Interesting! Is there any identification on the blades or packaging that might indicate whether they are Prime Platinum blades, or is is strictly generic. Do you find the blades to be as sharp and as smooth as the Prime Platinum blades?

I ask primarily out of curiosity. I purchased 100 Prime Platinums; since I use other blades as well, they will last quite a while.

Dorco blades are a multi-step process.

Step 1: Call an exorcist
Step 2: Kill it with fire
Step 3: Bury the remains
Step 4: Buy almost anything else.

Dorco blades are a multi-step process.

Step 1: Call an exorcist
Step 2: Kill it with fire
Step 3: Bury the remains
Step 4: Buy almost anything else.

Have you ever tried the Dorco Prime Platinum blades STP-301?

If you do buy them and keep an open mind while using them (blind testing might be best due to your extreme prejudice), I think they might well change your opinion of Dorco.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin, so I am very particular about the quality of my blades. I want the blades to be very sharp and very smooth. There are only a few brands of blades that satisfy both of those criteria for me; Dorco Primes are one of those blades.

Dorco blades was originally made in Korea in the past, moved to Vietnam for cheaper labor.

According to the Dorco corporate website, they have manufacturing facilities in Korea, Mexico and Vietnam. I know the Dorco Prime blades are made exclusively in Vietnam, but I do not know about other products. The plant in Ho Chi Minh City is said to be a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility.

All DE blades are manufactured in Vietnam.

Are any still manufactured in Korea? I have read some reports where folks said the blades from Vietnam were better than the ones from Korea, but I do not know whether the Korean blades were current manufacture or before Vietnam started production.

Have you ever tried the Dorco Prime Platinum blades STP-301?

If you do buy them and keep an open mind while using them (blind testing might be best due to your extreme prejudice), I think they might well change your opinion of Dorco.

I have a coarse beard and sensitive skin, so I am very particular about the quality of my blades. I want the blades to be very sharp and very smooth. There are only a few brands of blades that satisfy both of those criteria for me; Dorco Primes are one of those blades.
Will consider it if I can find a small sampler with them in it.

Will consider it if I can find a small sampler with them in it.

You can purchase 100 Dorco Prime blades for $9-10 dollars on Amazon. Thus, the risk is not that great. It will cost more than that to get a sample pack. I have seen sample packs with Dorco blades such as Dorco Titan, but never one with the Dorco Prime Platinum STP-301 blades.

For those just starting out with DE razors, getting a sample pack is a great way of learning which type of blades you like best. However, you can figure that half of the blades in the sampler won't work for you. Some might be too dull, some might be too sharp. Once you know the type of blades you like (I like very sharp blades), then sample packs are no longer the best option.

Top Bottom