What's new

Dorco ST300 - Not for me!

Been trying out some blades from my newbie PIF. I don't shave on Saturdays, so I always try my new blades on Sunday, after a two day growth. I don't know why, but I guess it's to see how the blade would hold up. Well, I had to ditch the ST300 after the first pass. Way too much tugging and pulling. I popped in my old stand by, an Astra SP and all was good.

I'm not knocking the ST300, but its just not for me! It was a good test.

Regards,
Bill

The ST300 works great for me but, everyone's millage will vary with any given blade. BTW, what razor were you using.? Thanks!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Dorco beats me up! But I'm cheap, and a glutton for punishment, therefore I return to it occasionally like a dog returns to it's emesis. And get slapped in the face all over again.... You might say it's my nemesis. I'm also a Poet wanna be....

I'm using a Merkur 23C (long handle).

Bill

Thats a good razor so, its got to be the blade that does not agree with your beard type.

The 23C lacks the rigidity needed to get not so sharp blades to perform well.

Shim the razor one time, the blade should perform better.

You will find that not so sharp blades will not perform well in the 23C.

The Dorco is not the best or worse blade.

The 23C lacks the rigidity needed to get not so sharp blades to perform well.

What do you mean by "lacks rigidity"? Surely not that the razor somehow flexes while sliding across the face. Did you mean that you think it doesn't hold a blade rigid? That'd be curious, because I used a Merkur 23C for months and never noticed something like that.

It could be that the Dorco blade itself has a bit more flex than the OP's Astra. It seems more likely that the Astra is sharp enough to cut his whiskers, and the Dorco just cuts part way through then pulls. My barber uses a shavette for trim work and recently switched from Dorco to Shark, because the Dorcos seemed to pull rather than cut.

What do you mean by "lacks rigidity"? Surely not that the razor somehow flexes while sliding across the face. Did you mean that you think it doesn't hold a blade rigid? That'd be curious, because I used a Merkur 23C for months and never noticed something like that.

It could be that the Dorco blade itself has a bit more flex than the OP's Astra. It seems more likely that the Astra is sharp enough to cut his whiskers, and the Dorco just cuts part way through then pulls. My barber uses a shavette for trim work and recently switched from Dorco to Shark, because the Dorcos seemed to pull rather than cut.

Prewar Tech + one Shim =...

Been trying out some blades from my newbie PIF. I don't shave on Saturdays, so I always try my new blades on Sunday, after a two day growth. I don't know why, but I guess it's to see how the blade would hold up. Well, I had to ditch the ST300 after the first pass. Way too much tugging and pulling. I popped in my old stand by, an Astra SP and all was good.

I'm not knocking the ST300, but its just not for me! It was a good test.

Regards,
Bill
Dorco does make other blades...one that I can recommend is the STP-301 Dorco Prime (with the P in the STP-301). Smooth and sharp, this blade performs!! Don't let the ST-300 sour you from trying some of their other blades.

Dorco beats me up! But I'm cheap, and a glutton for punishment, therefore I return to it occasionally like a dog returns to it's emesis. And get slapped in the face all over again.... You might say it's my nemesis. I'm also a Poet wanna be....
Ah, you must do this so that your poetry draws inspiration from your pain and suffering! Every writer needs to find their own spark and it sounds like you've found yours!

Yep... the Dorco Prime is a top notch blade. I got X10 nice smooth shaves from it. I probably could have got 14 or more but, did not want to push my luck.

They work for me but require a decent shaving soap/cream - would not work with arko/kmf but were great with cella. They were my grandfathers favorite for a couple years before he discovered gillette nacet and silver blue. He went through a lot of samples, I knew there was something else out there that was better. He liked the dorco because it gave him something like 10 shaves per blade. I tried the dorco prime but it wasn't for me.

FarmerTan

They work for me but require a decent shaving soap/cream - would not work with arko/kmf but were great with cella. They were my grandfathers favorite for a couple years before he discovered gillette nacet and silver blue. He went through a lot of samples, I knew there was something else out there that was better. He liked the dorco because it gave him something like 10 shaves per blade. I tried the dorco prime but it wasn't for me.
@riverstyxxx ! Hey sir, you may not remember me, but because of your kindness in sending me some blades to sample you ended up making me learn something! I have ADD and sometimes it's so bad I forget to wet my face before I shave! Not really, but close... Anyway, the other day I had a great shave with my birth year and quarter with what I KNEW was a GSB it was so smooth. When I cleaned up I found out it was a Jing Lui or whatever I got from you! I'm going to assume my technique has improved so much I was fooled, not that the old Tech is that gentle!

@riverstyxxx ! Hey sir, you may not remember me, but because of your kindness in sending me some blades to sample you ended up making me learn something! I have ADD and sometimes it's so bad I forget to wet my face before I shave! Not really, but close... Anyway, the other day I had a great shave with my birth year and quarter with what I KNEW was a GSB it was so smooth. When I cleaned up I found out it was a Jing Lui or whatever I got from you! I'm going to assume my technique has improved so much I was fooled, not that the old Tech is that gentle!

That's great to hear, had to be a Ying Jili razor blade. They come in three flavors, the best one is their platinum line.

FarmerTan

That's great to hear, had to be a Ying Jili razor blade. They come in three flavors, the best one is their platinum line.
Knew I'd screw up the name! I bought their $1.67 DE razor as well, because of your recommendation. Awesome little el cheapo thing.

I've never had a bad shave with a Dorco ST300 - I can get 2 acceptable shaves from a Dorco before it gives up the ghost - Ideal for a weekend break or even an overnight stay
I just wouldn't want to make a habit of shaving with them.

I revisited Dorco this week. The ST 301 Korea. Had a three day beard and it struggled. Ended up with a decent shave but would not use it for 3 days growth again. Came off and Astra that was far more efficient. Dorco will probably work as long as i shave every day, but that is getting rarer these days for me. Usually it's two days. It is a smooth blade, so i'm sure it works well for many.
I did a comparison with another mild favourite of mine, the Gillette Super Thin (Thai/Vietnam) and preferred the Gillette. Nothing wrong with Dorco, but there are better blades for me.

Top Bottom