What's new

Dorco, ST-301 vs ST-300

I am waiting on some 301s that I picked up from ebay. I am going to try these first, and if I like them, then I'll pick up some 300s just to compare against.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that they're the same blade, but one of them comes in a plastic dispenser, while the other does not.

-Clarke

Dorco USA is a local call for me. I ask them later today and post the results.:wink:

Thanks - all I can say is that the Dorcos I got from letterk really surprised me with their combination of sharpness/smoothness - and at $8 for 100, the price just can't be beat.

The manufacturer claims they're the same. The US distributor says they're different. I've seen reports from users that they're the same and I've seen reports from users that the 301's are sharper and less smooth. I have a box of the 301's but haven't tried them yet.

I contacted DORCO in San Diego as promised. Customer service could not answer the question and referred me to Mr. Jason Ahn, DORCO, Korea. Here is his reply:

Dear Julian,

Thank you for your email

Regarding your inquiry, the quality of ST300 and ST301 is same

and the only difference is the packaging.

If you need any other information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Jason Ahn

PS. Please send email copy to Charles Park ([email protected]) as well.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 4:56 AM
To: Jason Ahn
Subject: DORCO S
T300/ST 301

Dear Mr. Ahn:

Your office in San Diego, California was unable to answer these questions. However, they kindly referred them to you. I belong to a very large group of double edge shavers, who are very fond of DORCO Blades. We count them among the best available to us. Will you verify the difference between the ST 300 and the ST 301? Is the ST 301 a repackaged ST 300 in a hard plastic dispenser or is it a different blade? If there is a difference what are its distinguishing properties?

Very kind regards,

Julian

[/COLOR]

Dorco blades (ST300 or ST301) are really underrated, IMO. Having tried both, I think they are identical.

I head-shave exclusively with Dorco ST300s in '50s Super Speeds. They are the Smooth Bomb, and get my head butt-slick. No harshness to be had in them, and cheap to boot. Deceptively sharp, but the most *forgiving* DE blade I've ever used.

In shaving my face, sometimes I lose my way, and go back to the absolutely foolproof base combination for me, the combination that got me my first irritation-and-blood-free BBS shave: '50s Aristocrat + Dorcos. Slants and Dorcos are another killer combination, sharp and forgiving.

My "holy trinity" continuum of blades, from ultra-forgiving to ultra-precise, are Dorco, Derby, and Feather. I don't use anything else now.

All:
I was fortunate enough to try some Dorco's in orange wrappers courtesy of another member here who didn't like them. Short story, they were easily the sharpest, smoothest, and longest lasting of any blades I've tried so far. Great, so I ordered 100 from Ebay (less than $10 shipped:001_smile ) but when they get here they're different...blue wrappers :confused: . After searching the boards I find out there are two Dorco's 300 and 301 :blushing: ...not too worry, having now tried the new ones in the blue wrappers I can state definitively..they are the same wonderful blades :biggrin:
Greg

I get ST-300 Dorco's for $0.50 a 10 pack here in the Philippines. I like 'em a lot. Double wrapped (paper/wax paper inside) in a small cardboard box... But not more than Derbys at double the price... :wink: :wink: :wink:

I feel so sorry for the Swedish Gillette gents.... :biggrin:

I agree...I have tried most of the blades out there, and Dorcos are really great. Super smooth and forgiving and plenty sharp. I have to be REALLY careless to get a nick from them. I just re-ordered a 10x10 pack from West Coast. YMMV, but people owe it to themselves to try these blades.

I'm new enough to DE shaving that I've only tried Crystals and Dorco 301s. I REALLY wanted to like the Dorcos, as they're cheap and give me much closer shaves than the Crystals, but they seem to be much less forgiving for my face- I simply can't manage to get a Dorco-bladed shave without a cut or two.

After 1 Dorco blade, I'm back to the Crystals and then on with my West Cost Shaving sampler pack. Maybe I'll try some of the rest of my 49 Dorcos once my technique improves after that and see if that makes a difference.

I used my Dorco 301 blade in the HD, but have a lot of vintage Gillettes to clean up. Have any of y'all noticed that the Dorcos perform differently in different razors? Maybe I'll have to try a Dorco in a Tech.

The main thing I have noticed is that, at least for me, a Dorco in a razor with an agressive setting gives me a smoother and closer shave than some of the sharper and more expensive blades with a narrow setting, and does not cut me with the agressive setting as many of the sharper blades do. A VERY smooth blade and my "go to" blade anytime I am trying out a new razor.

Struggled to get a good shave with these blades and after 2 shaves i found them useless, though every member on here has different views on different blades!

Tried the 300s and was disappointed.

When on to the 301s and found it to be a winner.

If they are the same blade I put the difference to technique as a newbie.

Anyway, the 301s are part of my rotation.

Inexpensive and gets the job (DFS) done.

Of course YMMV.:wink2:

The 300 and 301 are not the same blade. Part of the confusion comes from the fact that once out of the wrapper, they are impossible to tell apart without a microscope. The markings on the blade are identical, but the 301 has a different edge grind and hone, and is PTFE coated.

I'm not sure whether the 300 is PTFE coated. It's been over 18 months since I used my last one. The blade reviews over at SMF have covered these two blades extensively.

The ST-301 is the newer of the two, having been introduced in 2007. The 300 has been on the market longer.

R

rainman

I say they are different. 300's smoother, 301's sharper. Both good IMO.

Top Bottom