What's new

Dorco Prime

Good information thanks. My barber just gave me this pack of 10 to try. Being a Newb I’m a bit reluctant to try it yet but what do you guys think if I paired with a Henson or Merkur 34c?
View attachment 1824891
Toss that wonderful blade into whatever Razor is your current favourite and enjoy!

Model: STP-301

Bought 100 after I first used my sample pack.. then thought better after I shaved my head with the Dorco Prime... ordered 300 more! 🤣 👍🏻

@Pine , You can send us any leftover Dorco blades when they expire in 2029 and we will be sure to properly dispose of them 🙂

As Jay21 noted stainless blades like these will last far longer than that. I bag mine in plastic bags and store them in a drawer in our bathroom. The expiration date is either a local country requirement or something added to encourage future purchases. Enjoy the blades, Primes are some of my favorite as well as the ST300/301 Stainless blades from Dorco.

Well for ultimate peace of mind, I would suggest putting them into sealable alu bags (or any container with sufficiently and at least similarly low air impermeability) together with a few sachets of silica gel dessicant and then forget about time ... that is until you intend to use them. The blades will easily outlast you, provided the containers are kept in proper form and inspected every few years for air leakage.

I was wondering the same, though I read that PTFE/Teflon is extremely rare and supposedly also very visible. But I don't know either, it SEEMS connected to the Dorco blades. So I will stop using them for quite a while.
The doubt of PTFE on the Dorco's had occurred to me as well.

According to what the Razorbladeclub website reports only the Dorco-ST300 have Platinum and PFTE coating, the Dorco Titan the PTFE coating while the Dorco-ST301 and Dorco Prime reports only Platinum coating.

The doubt of PTFE on the Dorco's had occurred to me as well.

According to what the Razorbladeclub website reports only the Dorco-ST300 have Platinum and PFTE coating, the Dorco Titan the PTFE coating while the Dorco-ST301 and Dorco Prime reports only Platinum coating.

In practice, all stainless blades seem to have a PTFE coating for smoothness. Stainless blades did not become successful until PTFE coating was added, as they were initially uncomfortable to use.

You can't really go by the marketing speak on blade packages. It is just words that sound good.

It's unlikely to have a reaction to PTFE, anyway. It's frequently used in medical applications. Perhaps there is something else.

I was wondering the same, though I read that PTFE/Teflon is extremely rare and supposedly also very visible. But I don't know either, it SEEMS connected to the Dorco blades. So I will stop using them for quite a while.
I'm no industry expert, but I've read multiple opinions that all blades have PTFE. Like this one: Preferences regarding "types" of blades across brands? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/preferences-regarding-types-of-blades-across-brands.650607/post-12614616

It's unlikely to have a reaction to PTFE, anyway. It's frequently used in medical applications. Perhaps there is something else.
Also in makeup and beauty products, but people trying to avoid exposure to PTFE is a real thing. It's all over the internet. Whether the science behind PTFE exposure is validated or not, I'm not sure.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The Dorco Primes are not guilty!

I developed a skin condition that can cause issues even without shaving with any blades.

Will shave again with the Dorco tonight.
And for what it is worth, I really like the Dorco Prime. The Dorco Titan was a dud for me, though.

The Dorco Primes are not guilty!

I developed a skin condition that can cause issues even without shaving with any blades.

Will shave again with the Dorco tonight.
And for what it is worth, I really like the Dorco Prime. The Dorco Titan was a dud for me, though.

I was just posting about my experiences with this blade in the blade of the day thread, then I saw this dedicated thread. Lol.

I'm loving the Prime blades! They're sharper / more efficient than my Personnas and just as smooth (cheaper too!). Just stocked up with 600 blades.

I'm with you on the Titans @Iridian . For me, they're soooooo smooth, but I couldn't get a great (close) shave. I read something about a double coating on them? Definitely impedes the shave imo.

I still have to try their Super Sharp blade. Got a 5pack, but haven't used them yet. They are probably new, as I dont see 100 packs yet.

1. Dorco Primes are great.

Also in makeup and beauty products, but people trying to avoid exposure to PTFE is a real thing. It's all over the internet. Whether the science behind PTFE exposure is validated or not, I'm not sure.

2. Perfluoropolymers are tricky. I do not think they are know or have been proven to cause any problems acutely right after use. Implants as it is are really not a problem since the material requirements and control is much more stringent and there is no high temperatures involved for anything to leach out.
Fluoro - carbon covalent bond is extremely strong as covalent bonds go, and there is not a lot of options to break it, so it really is not a good target to be broken down during degradation processes in the body. So the crux of their problems lies, when there is the posibility of leaching, their stability, lipophylicity, long elimination half-times with resulting (bio)accumulation which connectied with possible various hormonal, immune and other influence (could) pose a problem ...

(P.s. Some minor rant follows, tangential on the matter, for which I do apologise.

In my view the most problematic aspect of everyday perfluoropolymer exposure is perfluoropolymer coated kitchenware, where the main problem are possible unreacted monomeres, low molecular oligomers, and various problematic adhesives used in glueing perfluoropolymers (like Teflon brand) to other surfaces like in majority of non-stick kitchenware. (When you think about it ... it's not a trivial problem of how would you stick an inherently super non-stick material to any other surface.) Classical polymer (like teflon) itslef is rated to 250°C to 260°C above which it starts to degrade slowly.

Interestingly and ironically as I understand the most useful aspect of such kitchenware (non-stickiness) usually is the most handy on the border of it's safe use temperature envelope, when the food starts to sear/burn, meaning teflon coating gets heated to borderline safe temperature, when leakage of problematic substances from the coating is probable. Never sear (or use high temperature) for anything on teflon or any such perfluoropolymer is your best bet (but then why use such kitchenware :).
Lets not increased cancer rates stop you if you disagre. Personally I am frankly amazed that there is almost no studies done on the matter with a sea of Teflon kitchenware abused above the designed max temperature. (Literally everytime when I see someone using teflon kitchenware is most likely to sear somethin at high heat.) The only fight goes to poor workers and occupants in the viccinity of perfluoropolymer plants, but no research or fight is occuring for the daily end user unknowingly abusing such kitchenware above safe temperatures. In truth majority of end users do get a disclaimer warning "Do not heat to 220°C" or lately with some "high quality" coatings that level is 250°C, but no warning as to what happens above that. That would be too scary to write and with no regulatory pressure that is not going to happen ... "Above 220°C problematic substances with high elimination half-lives are released, accumulating in your body, possibly causing havoc in different body systems in 10-20-30 years down the line." And when a person gets old enough for the occured cancer, the latter is pushed under the rug of a myriad of some other conveniently correlating causality. DuPont power.
Rant off.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom