What's new

Dorco Pace 6

My wife was complaining about cartridge razor cost/choices (haven't convinced her to try a DE yet) and I decided to buy her a Dorco Pace 6 "razor system" on The Bay. I got the handle and a total of 10 cartridges for less than $20 w/free shipping from a CONUS seller. I received the razor/cartridges almost immediately after ordering. It came with a cartridge already on the handle, one on the back of the plastic razor holder and two 4-packs of cartridges.

She reported she was quite happy with it, so one day I decided to give it a try after not using a cartridge razor for a couple of years.

I used the same prep and products I use every day for DE shaving and grabbed the Pace 6 off the soap holder by the tub where she leaves it. I must say I did temporarily replace her used cartridge with a brand new one.

I was actually quite impressed with the shave. It took me awhile to get back into "smush and drag mode" but after getting used to it again, the resulting shave was quite good: much better than I imagined it would be. It wasn't quite on par with the shaves my usual DE/SE hardware gifts me with, but was a very close second. I could definitely go to work each day with the shaves this razor produces.

I appreciated these cartridges because the blades have a "free flow" design with an open back that makes it very easy to flush out the soap/hair between passes with no clogging. A few swipes back and forth in the sink left the gaps between the blades clear of debris. I was expecting a lightweight, cheap-feeling handle but it's actually quite hefty. The cartridges lock cleanly and firmly onto the handle.

I don't know how many shaves one of these cartridges will provide (the shave was without soul and the next morning found me with my trusty Ever Ready 1912 back in my hand) but I really can't imagine the longevity of the cartridges would be any less than a similiar Gillette cartridge for a fraction of the cost. Without the "package deal," you can get 2 packs of four cartridges for less than $18/free shipping.

Hypothetically (and it ain't gonna happen) if I went back to cartridge shaving, I would definitely stick with the Dorco Pace 6 over the Gillette Fusion I was using before I moved away from cartridges. I was pretty impressed with it. Same shaves but for a lot less money.

For those who prefer fewer blades, I think they also have a 4-blade Pace Four offering that's even cheaper. If you think you would like more than 6 blades, they also have a Pace 7 system. Haven't tried those......

Not shilling for Dorco other than I was in the ROK for 4 years and harbor a fondness for the people.

The Dorco Pace 6? In my opinion, if you're a cartridge user, it's definitely worth a try.

I have had good luck with the majority of Dorco razors. I find they last 1/2-2/3 the time as the bigger brands but cost a fraction of the price. Based on my wife's comments I believe the men's razors are significantly better than the women's varieties.

The Pace 6 was great for me when I first got away from the more expensive big name cartridges. I had been shaving my head with clippers for years and finally went to the Pace 6 on my head. After a couple shaves left me feeling like my head was on fire, I searched the Internet for better options. This is what led me to B&B and into the world of wet shaving. Glad to be here and I am really enjoying shaving now.

For anyone interested in Dorco razors, I highly suggest you keep an eye on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DorcoPace

They have coupon codes quite frequently. Just this past weekend was 40% off on the site and shipping was free. So you can snag some good deals right from the manufacturer.

In the UK buying direct from Dorco direct is a lot more expensive. Perhaps a rip off? The Pace 6/6+ is a good razor.

$Sainsbury.PNG

$Dorco.PNG

The Pace 6 and Mach 3 both give me excellent one pass shaves. For XTG, ATG I prefer DE. But I usually bring one of these two along when I take a short overnight trip and can't bring a DE in my carry-on.

For me, the Pace 6 does a pretty good job for about four shaves per cartridge. Similar to a Fusion, but not as comfortable and not as long lasting.

Thoroughly enjoying the Pace 6 which also appears in UK in Sainsbury’s as the Men Advance razor (and of course as Dollar Shave Club).
As others have said it’s excellent for head shaving.
There’s an Amazon UK offer to get the Pace System handle + 1 Pace 6 cart for £0.98 at the moment.
Very nice handle, an extremely good workmanlike shave and the Pace 3/4/6 carts all fit the handle.

You can get Pace 3 disposables in Primark (!) at £2.00 for four and also Pace 4 and Pace 6 disposables very cheaply from AliExpress but surprisingly (and shrewdly) the fittings on the disposables don’t connect with the Pace System handle so you can’t just prise them off to get a cheap cart for your nice handle.
The Sainsbury Men Advance carts are £3.50 for the Pace 3 and £6.00 for the £6.00 so pretty good pricing too.

Sainsbury's are a lot cheaper than the Dorco UK website. The Pace 6 and Pace 3 are good razors. I haven't tried a Pace 4. I have a Pace 7 aka Classic but haven't used it yet. The Pace 3 was quite ubiquitous, it was the private label razor of Superdrug, Sainsbury's, Albert Heijn, Etos, Trekpleister, and Kruidvat.

Barbasol Razors uses the same Dorco blades. You can just get refills at the supermarket or Target/walmart/drugstores.

This really is a case of YMMV.

I tried the pace 6+ and it felt just god-awful. Like it was scraping my face. I thought the cartridge might be defective, so I tried another one with the same results.

Harry’s was better, but still underperformed (as far as feel- both did an adequate job of removing hair) in comparison to the Gillette fusion or Schlick Hydro 5.

Top Bottom