What's new

Dorco DE Blades

And THEN you tried a Derby, and found out you were wrong!

Those are both so mean to my incredibly handsome face that I don't know which ones are worser!
Try a derby premium you might be pleasantly surprised on the second shave and going on

Reactions: Kix
I got some Dorco 300s with my MicroTouch One razor. I used them, but always wound up with a raw face after shaving. This is even before I learned to apply alum.

After shaving with different razors and blades, I figured I'd give the Dorcos another try with a razor I prefer over the MTO. The shave was a little better than before but not by much. The blade is just too mild for me. I needed to make many more passes to get a close shave. On top of which, the blade wore out faster than other blades I've tried (e.g., Astra SP).

Incidentally, the MTO is also a super mild razor. Combining a mild blade like the Dorco 300 with a mild razor like a MTO is just a bad idea. At least if the goal is to convert people to DE shaving*. I'd have done better to have purchased a Lord L5 and some Lord Platinum razor blades as my beginner razor.

*I guess it didn't work right on me. But in my defense, I just happen to be a bit of a masochist or a fool, so I tried to find a way to get a better shave with the MTO, which led me to this forum.

I got a tuck of Dorco ST-301 blades in my last order. The first one, in my Blue Tip, felt extraordinarily dull, lots of tugging. I gave up on it after three shaves. Today, on a whim, I loaded one in my ball-end Tech and got a superb comfortable shave. I don’t blame the Blue Tip as its one of my favorite razors. At least I feel good about using the rest of the blades.

Objective: Find a replacement for Astra SP's. So far one blade has succeeded and I would like to have an alternate. Current evaluation are Dorco's, Woohoo!

All evaluations are with a Post War Fat Handle Tech. 6/7 shaves are with this razor so it gets to be the reference standard. All shaves evening, post shower, no other prep. Soap, Brush and after shave at will. Neck only, 2 passes. 1st WTG, 2nd Gillette Slide. Blades courtesy @dmshaver and The Great Blade Exchage! Posted are the daily notes immediately post shave.

Aug 3rd, 2021 (Tues) Dorco ST 301 1st shave. Not to bad, a little audio feedback and perceptible tugging starting out. One side seemed smoother than the other. Will have to pay attention to that tomorrow. Other than that a good shave. La Toja. Post War Fat Handle.

Aug 4th, 2021 (Wed) Dorco ST 301 2nd shave. Blade smoothed out didn’t notice a difference between the sides. Nice shave no irritation. Beehive Bay Rum, Post War Fat Handle.

Aug 5th, 2021 (Thur) Dorco ST 301 3rd. Fine shave. Difference between either side? Not noticeable. Does this blade foretell the razors error? Will try the other ST 301 and look for the answer. Great shave BTW. Palmolive ‘puck’. Worth looking at buying if they last a week and are as cheap as Astra SP’s. Closer shave I think than the Astra SP's.

Last edited:
Last day notes with Dorco ST 301.

7th day, 8/9/21. Last shave with the blade and will switch it out to an Astra SP to compare tomorrow. Palmolive Stick and witch hazel for an AS. Zero burn no irritation from this shave. This is a fine blade. Had a little audio feedback today which I don't mind. Didn't pull or tug though, clean shave. It can go more days I think and I’ll check it’s longevity out on the next go for the ST-301. I like this blade in the Post War Tech. It is a worthy replacement to the Astra SP at least based on this weeks shave. Will have a go with the Astra SP next week for a reality check.

Is the blade sharp? Impression it gave me is closer shaves easier than with my Astra SP’s. Is it smooth? The little irritation noticed with the AS yesterday ~= to Astra SP's. Next question is what are Dorco Primes like!

Last edited:
Last day notes with Dorco ST 301.

7th day, 8/9/21. Last shave with the blade and will switch it out to an Astra SP to compare tomorrow. Palmolive Stick and witch hazel for an AS. Zero burn no irritation from this shave. This is a fine blade. Had a little audio feedback today which I don't mind. Didn't pull or tug though, clean shave. It can go more days I think and I’ll check it’s longevity out on the next go for the ST-301. I like this blade in the Post War Tech. It is a worthy replacement to the Astra SP at least based on this weeks shave. Will have a go with the Astra SP next week for a reality check.

Is the blade sharp? Impression it gave me is closer shaves easier than with my Astra SP’s. Is it smooth? The little irritation noticed with the AS yesterday ~= to Astra SP's. Next question is what are Dorco Primes like!
Maybe blades are the most YMMV things here. For me the Dorcos were just uncomfortable, tugged and performed really low - in fact that was one of the pack I threw out (the last 3 of them, I tried hard... - the other was the Wilkinson). Astra SP is waaay better. But for instance a friend of mine just tries the Kai which he praises now in ultimate heights, for me they caused irritation and uncomfortable (but close) shaves. Confort-wise the Astra SP is the clear winner for me.

Last night abandon the trial of Dorco ST-300 after attempting a third shave. Not in the same league as the ST-301 so not a worthy replacement to the Astra SP. I have one more ST-300 I'll try, after a Dorco Prime. Maybe this one was a dud. It happens.

So far ST-301 > ST-300

Finished up a Dorco Prime and went to another blade for a break, Treet Yellow.

The Prime is a better shave than the ST-300 but less than the ST-301. Both the 301 and Prime delivered a close shave (sharp) but the 301 was smoother. Went to the 2nd sample of ST-300 Sunday night, tossed it Monday after a few stokes. The objective is to replace Astra SP and ST-300 doesn't cut it. The 2nd Dorco Prime replaced it for the rest of the week.

So far it's ST-301 > Prime ~= Astra SP > ST-300.

I have one Prime and one ST-301 left to see if this ranking holds up in my variety of Gillette Techs.

YMMV!

Last edited:
I have had disappointing results with all Dorcos except the Platinum Prime: STP-301. The ST-300 and 301 did not work for me. I have not tried the Titan. But, the Dorco Prime is right up there with GSB and Personna Lab Blue for my face and my favorite razors. Enjoy the blade adventure.

+1! For me the Primes are the pick of the Dorco litter! :thumbup: :thumbup:

We're talking blades here, so YMMV, etc., etc.

For me, Dorco Primes are good, inexpensive, slightly-less-sharp than average blades, good for 2-3 shaves in efficient razors, and Dorco Titans are the same, but slightly less sharp. The Dorco website claims that the Titan's strong point is longevity, but that hasn't been the case for me.

Dorco ST-300s tug on my whiskers unless I'm very careful with my angle, but when I am careful, they provide me with the smoothest shave of any DE blade I've used. I prefer to use them in higher-efficiency razors.

I have been shaving my head since 2018 with Dorco ST-300s made in Vietnam.
I only use them to shave my head because they are the only ones that don't irritate or burn me.
I would be curious to try the Titan and Prime to compare and see how they work.

I'm done testing Dorco's. Razors: Pre and Post War Fat Handle Techs, late 50's Ball End Tech and a SLOC. Old man average coarseness white whiskers, beat up oily skin. Objective: replacement for Astra SP. Criteria: as smooth as an Astra SP, as close as an Astra SP and lasting a week of shaves like an Astra SP.

ST-301 > Prime > ST-300

None are as smooth as an Astra SP. The Prime (VN) must be sharper than the ST-301 or something as it gives up needless irritation in my mild razors from day one to day seven, where the ST-301 shaves closer than the Astra SP for my whiskers and irritation. The ST-301 gives up more feedback I find interesting and useful, it is workable alternative to the Astra SP.

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I really like the ST300's in my Henson AL13 Mild.

I was looking for an affordable replacement for Astra SP blades that didn't have the blasted glue dots.
Tried the ST300 and ST301 through the Blade Exchange and the ST300 won out for me, I get an equal shave for more days and no glue.

@ylekot

@Lane101 is pretty sure the ST-300 and 301 are the same in different packaging. Maybe at this evolution they are.

Top Bottom