What's new

Dorco Blades

Newbie question. I've been wet shaving for about 4 months now and have been trying some different blades in my Merkur 34C. I like the Dorco HQ blades. Anyone know how the sharpness would be rated? I can't seem to find any charts with this brand on it. My thinking is, if it's say a medium sharpness blade, I should try other blades that are similar. I also like the Bolzano Superinox blades too. I started with the Astra blades, but I think they are too sharp. I keep nicking myself with them. My technique just isn't there yet for them. Thanks in advance for your help!

Dorco Prime (STP-301) is a pretty sharp blade. Not bad at all.

The other Dorco blades (ST-300 or ST-301) are really dull when new and get even duller with use. They are pretty cheap, though. If you can shave with them successfully, you probably have a fairly light beard.

I'd suggest the Lord ASCO blades in the orange pack or similar blades like Big Ben. More of a mid-sharp blade and also inexpensive. Your technique will improve with more time and practice. You can try a sampler pack and experience a lot of different blades. That is the best way, IMHO.

Last edited:
Yea, I've been going through a 20 brand/make multi pack (5 razors for each brand). Just seemed like the Dorco (ST-301) was smooth to me, and I've been getting a pretty close 3 pass shave with them and very rarely a nick. I tried the Lord blades in the multi pack (had a sword on the package?). They were the Platinum version I think. Very, very smooth but I seemed to nick myself alot with them. I'm sure as my technique improves, I'll revisit some of the blades I tried from the multi-pack.
I shave everyday, except Sunday, so my beard is light. Although it's probably getting coarser now that I am 53.

When I still used DE razors, the Dorco 301s were adequate blades for me. Definitely not the sharpest, but they worked. For some reason they don't get many favourable reviews.

Blades are a personal thing and what one person really likes, another may find them "meh" at best, or unusable at worst. You will find that certain blades tend to attract more positive reviews but they might not be for you. Astra blades are an example.

As you have been shaving for a relatively short time, you are still developing your technique (there is no magic number and technique is constantly being developed even after years of daily shaves). I suggest you put aside any blades that don't work for you and revisit them in a year or so. You might find you will like them as your technique is refined.

TL,DR: if Dorco blades work for you, keep using them.

I'd suggest the Lord ASCO blades in the orange pack or similar blades like Big Ben. More of a mid-sharp blade and also inexpensive.
I’ve looked at these several times and wasn’t sure if they were worth trying. Thanks for providing your opinion on them. 👍

@emorrison33 I’ve had an interesting experience with blades where many of the blades that others don’t like work well for me. It’s the reason why buying sampler packs makes so much sense. There are a bunch of stores that will also let you build your own sampler if there are blades you already know you want to try. Personally, I’m going to have to really like a blade to buy 100 or more of them at once.

I’ve looked at these several times and wasn’t sure if they were worth trying. Thanks for providing your opinion on them. 👍
My favorite Lord blades are probably the Silver Star and Super Chrome. The ASCO and Big Ben are not as sharp as those, but more of a "comfortable, sharp enough" kind of blade.

My favorite Lord blades are probably the Silver Star and Super Chrome. The ASCO and Big Ben are not as sharp as those, but more of a "comfortable, sharp enough" kind of blade.
I haven't tried the ASCO Stainless (orange) but I bought an 100 pack of the Asco Platinum when it was $5 on Amazon. I found they worked pretty well for me. They were just a touch under Lord Platinum and Lord Super Chrome in my experience. Of course, YMMV.

The Dorco Prime Platinum blades STO-301 are one of my favorites... Far and above the other Dorco blades that I've tried. My experience with them even impressed me enough to share some of them with @FarmerTan to try when he said all Dorco blades were not good. They are now one of my top go to blades and prove that not all Dorco blades are created equal.

The generics I buy at the grocery store are made by Dorco. I haven't the slightest idea which Dorco. I would compare them with the Personnas I've used. I get great 3-pass BBS shaves with them.

I haven't tried the ASCO Stainless (orange) but I bought an 100 pack of the Asco Platinum when it was $5 on Amazon. I found they worked pretty well for me. They were just a touch under Lord Platinum and Lord Super Chrome in my experience. Of course, YMMV.
That’s excellent to know. I have a sense that I will like many of the Lord blades.

The Dorco Prime Platinum blades STO-301 are one of my favorites... Far and above the other Dorco blades that I've tried. My experience with them even impressed me enough to share some of them with @FarmerTan to try when he said all Dorco blades were not good. They are now one of my top go to blades and prove that not all Dorco blades are created equal.
I need to throw a tuck onto whatever my next order is. I can’t commit to buying 100 without trying them, even if they are cheap.

Yea, I've been going through a 20 brand/make multi pack (5 razors for each brand). Just seemed like the Dorco (ST-301) was smooth to me, and I've been getting a pretty close 3 pass shave with them and very rarely a nick. I tried the Lord blades in the multi pack (had a sword on the package?). They were the Platinum version I think. Very, very smooth but I seemed to nick myself alot with them. I'm sure as my technique improves, I'll revisit some of the blades I tried from the multi-pack.
I shave everyday, except Sunday, so my beard is light. Although it's probably getting coarser now that I am 53.

Blades are so personal; what one shaver enjoys, another shaver despises. Sounds like you're on the right track with Dorco blades, as well the sampler pack is a great way to try a variety and see what works well for you.

The Dorco HQ blades is a good choice and it works well for me, am sure you won't regret that .
They're horrible for me. They came with my first razor. I didn't know any better and thought that a raw face was inevitable after using the razor and blade. Since then, I've learned how wrong I was! I've found razors and blades that much better for me.

Of course, blades are one of the most YMMV parts of shaving. As are razors. 🙂

I agree with the consensus: Dorco Primes are the pick of their litter for me too!

I also suggest adding the Personna reds (or the current made in Germany version) to your list. These are also very comfortable (and not too sharp) blades that work well for me.

I agree with the consensus: Dorco Primes are the pick of their litter for me too!

I also suggest adding the Personna reds (or the current made in Germany version) to your list. These are also very comfortable (and not too sharp) blades that work well for me.
The Personna blades are in my multipack. Not sure if they are the reds. Thanks everyone for the help! Great community here.

I've had Dorco Primes (STP301) and the regular Dorco Platinums (ST301) in my rotation (with Astra SP's and post-2016 Derby Extras) for about a year and they are the best so far with typically 8-10 good clean shaves per blade. Excellent sharpness and glide. These are latest generation HQ Dorco blades made in Vietnam. Longevity of the Primes and regular platinums is similar for me with little noticeable difference with the exception of the first shave where surprisingly the Primes may be slightly rougher after which they smooth out nicely by the second shave. Wonder if the second teflon coating on the Primes slightly dulls the cutting edge initially until it wears off during the first shave? Believe the only difference between the two, looking at the Dorco web site, is the addition of a second teflon coating.

I recently picked up some Dorco blades in a variety pack. I have a thick beard, and sensitive skin. My experience with the ST-300 Stainless steels has been good so far. I tried Feather blades first, and was sold on them. Then I tried the Dorco. Easier on the face, but still cuts the beard very cleanly. Not as sharp as Feather blades, but definitely sharper than the Derby and Astra blades I have been using to date. Still need to try the Shark and SuperMax blades, but so far, Dorco is in the lead being slightly less sharp than the Feathers, at a third of the price.

I will post a review when tested. I am also switching these between my razors. It's amazing the difference in blades that can be felt between my Gillette Super Speed, Slim Adjustable, Gillette Tech and of course the Fatboy.

I recently picked up some Dorco blades in a variety pack. I have a thick beard, and sensitive skin. My experience with the ST-300 Stainless steels has been good so far. I tried Feather blades first, and was sold on them. Then I tried the Dorco. Easier on the face, but still cuts the beard very cleanly. Not as sharp as Feather blades, but definitely sharper than the Derby and Astra blades I have been using to date. Still need to try the Shark and SuperMax blades, but so far, Dorco is in the lead being slightly less sharp than the Feathers, at a third of the price.

My experience is similar to this!

I didn't like them at all at first. Quite irritating on my neck. Given a few months of technique adjustment and a new razor, I went back through the sampler I had. ST300's are better now that I know what I'm doing!

Top Bottom