What's new

Dorco blades? Thoughts, comments, etc.

I decided to write this post because it seemed interesting to see others opinion on this blade. Like many freshman in shaving I bought a sample pack of 30+ blades an in it was the dorco st300 and st 301and especially the st300 I hated it I threw it away on the first use. This one was in the usual white and blue packaging found everywhere. It felt really jagged unsharpened and rough. However my family went to south America and found these dorco packaged in an orange box and orange wrapper and with the words new HD st300. I shaved with it today and it was really great, not as sharp to make them perfect but sharp enough to take off my goatee and satisfyingly smooth even going at it in some areas pretty roughly I didn't nick nor have much irritation when using the alum block. I looked and found some new blue packaged one with the HD wording as well. Can any gents confirm or have thoughts if those are the same as the ones in the orange box or even the dorco platinum?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Life is too short and blades too cheap to fiddle fart around with sub-par blades IMO. Gillette & Personna rule DE shavedom.

Life is too short and blades too cheap to fiddle fart around with sub-par blades IMO. Gillette & Personna rule DE shavedom.
Meh tried the Gillette blades and they were way overhyped most of them are sub par, the Gillette silver blue were the only ones I liked but I was not blown away, personna tho are better.

I would say Wilkinson Sword, Personna and Feather.
Most Gillette blades are middle road.
Exception would be Polsilver.
Have not tried G. platinum yet, some say similar to Polsilver.

But Nacet, Astra, perma Sharp, Gillette yellow, Silver blue nothing to get excited about, especially once you try different blades and revisit Gillette for comparison in blind test.

I use Dorco ST301, without any issues. I also use Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 and i call it an "improved Astra SP". It's slightly sharper than Astra and about same in smoothness. The Platinum is a better blade. The simple ST301 isn't very sharp, but i do 3 shaves and out and it works just fine. Cheap price, nice packaging, i have both types by the hundreds.

I like the Prime Platinum STP301 a lot, and they are really cheap. I bought 600 of them for about 9 cents a blade and free shipping directly from DORCO USA.

I like the Prime Platinum STP301 a lot, and they are really cheap. I bought 600 of them for about 9 cents a blade and free shipping directly from DORCO USA.

They are a real bargain. I prefer Voshkods for daily shave, but if you want to shave every 2-3 days, the Dorcos might work better.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The Dorco blades that I have tried are the 300’s in the blue packaging. First shave is always poor and then they come good for a shave or two. I would never buy them in a hundred pack. The Red Dorco’s that you have I have never seen before. I hope that they are better than the other ones.

The Dorco blades that I have tried are the 300’s in the blue packaging. First shave is always poor and then they come good for a shave or two. I would never buy them in a hundred pack. The Red Dorco’s that you have I have never seen before. I hope that they are better than the other ones.
Yes which is why I'm astonished, I too tried the blue ones and they were horrible these are very smooth. Have you tried the new blue ones that say HQ on the box and paper? I wonder if they are the same improved ones. I would n have bought 120 pack of them.

I still love the Gillette Platinum Plus from Brazil. German Wilkis are in 2nd place, tied with GSBs. Dorco 300s are almost as bad as VDH blades IMHO. 301 are a little better but not great. The red package...it has piqued my interest. Dorco Primes...meh....I get maybe 3 just passable shaves. They are a bit rough and not very sharp.....for ME! As always YMMV.

Then thing about razor blades is that whether they work for you depends on your beard type (fine or coarse), your skin sensitivity, and the aggressiveness of the razor in which it is used. That is why you see some folks who love certain blades and others who hate them. The only way to find out whether a blade works for you in your razors is to try them.

I use a range of razors from mild to aggressive. I like using very sharp blades (Feather, BIC Chrome Platinum, and Gillette Nacets) in mild to medium aggressive razors. In razors that are more aggressive I like using mid-range blades: Personnas, most Gillette and 7 O'Clock, Polsilver, Voskhod, Rapira Platinum Lux, and German Wilkinson Sword.

An Astra SP is smooth, but barely sharp enough for my beard, especially on the first shave with a new blade. Some blades like Shark, VDH, Merkur and Derby Extra are just not sharp enough to cut my beard without tugging.

I have not tried any Dorco blades, but I am considering picking up some of the STP301 Prime Platinums. Everything I have read says they are pretty sharp, so I would start off with them in a milder razor and see how that goes before trying them in an aggressive razor.

I still love the Gillette Platinum Plus from Brazil. German Wilkis are in 2nd place, tied with GSBs. Dorco 300s are almost as bad as VDH blades IMHO. 301 are a little better but not great. The red package...it has piqued my interest. Dorco Primes...meh....I get maybe 3 just passable shaves. They are a bit rough and not very sharp.....for ME! As always YMMV.
Yeah they were bought in Colombia if that helps.

Top Bottom